Quick question regarding compression

CaramelCake

Question

I've been following the "DDSopt Skyrim Quick-Start guide" hoping to solve some odd framerate issues I've been having and in step 18 of the "Optimize the Vanilla Skyrim Textures" section it says to change my Constraints to various "DXTx" settings which DDSopt calls "Lossy".

Is this a necessary step? Is there no real difference in this case?

I ask because the guide seems to assume a system with around 1.5GB of Vram and I have 4GB, so I don't want to limit my quality if I don't have to. (Assuming that is what's going on here of course)

Sorry for what I realize is probably a very newbish question.

5 answers to this question

If you experience lag while scrolling around, and long load and transition times then optimization might be worth considering. Or just if you are very... strict about how much disk space you are using etc. 

However if you have a 4Gb card then you wont notice any difference what so ever with the textures in STEP core or extended. 

Alright now I have a kinda different problem.

I finished optimizing without changing my compression settings and dropped the completed folders into MO, but it says Dawnguard, Heathfires and Dragonborn are all redundant.

Looking at the size of my folders the only one that doesn't match up to the reference image is "HRDLC2" which is almost exactly 1.5GB larger then it should be.

"HRDLC2" is also the file that's conflicting with DG and HF the most (DB is all over the place) so I'm guessing that "HRDLC2" got some files it shouldn't have, is this going to be a problem?