TES4LODGen ridiculously slow running through MO

Torwak

Question

Hello and thank you in advance for showing your interest in this issue!

I've been trying to run TES4LODGen through Mod Organizer but it's really slow and after maybe half an hour of waiting I get an error telling me that it has ran out of memory. After I close TES4LODGen the "Overwrite" section has a folder in it that is named "Distant_Lod". Is there a way to fix this?

14 answers to this question

This is the workaround you are searching for. In short, get the latest xEdit version, rename TES5Edit.exe to TES4LODGen.exe and use the -O: argument to define a new output folder, that is not in MO's folder.

The problem here seems to be the actual number of files TES4LODGen attempts to create. Assuming that m4DnZ installed RAEVWD and thus wants to run TES4LODGen afterwards, approximately 10000 files will be created. While doing so, MO hiccups .. and thus we need the mentioned workaround with a newly defined folder outside of MO's filepath.

Edited by pStyl3
  • +1 1

The 'DistantLOD' inside the "Overwrite" folder is the correct way MO works. If there isn't a folder or file inside the VFS when a tool operates, the resulting generated files/folders are placed into the temporary mod folder called "Overwrite". Simply right-click and 'Create mod', then activate that mod in MO. The *.LOD files will then be placed into the VFS ready for use in the game.

As for the 'memory leak', have a look at this bug report posted on the bug tracker. It may clear some things up.

@hishutup is very active here and may provide some more details about that issue.

For me it takes less than two minutes to run but I am no longer using MO.

When I was using MO, it did exactly the same thing pre-fix but after tannin's fix for 1.2.10(?) it took somewhere between 5-15 min (its been awhile).

I would say make a new bug report since mine was closed on the bug genie saying pretty much exactly what you just said about the time it took and then the whole out of memory deal and include the value that it capped at. I used the LAA patch on the TESLODGen.exe.... I dont know if it had any effect though.

Its a known memleak though and was supposedly patched by the beta that he gave me.

The leak may have returned.

I would say the average time increase is between 1.5-3 times as long with manual install verses mo.

This is the workaround you are searching for. In short, get the latest xEdit version, rename TES5Edit.exe to TES4LODGen.exe and use the -O: argument to define a new output folder, that is not in MO's folder.

The problem here seems to be the actual number of files TES4LODGen attempts to create. Assuming that m4DnZ installed RAEVWD and thus wants to run TES4LODGen afterwards, approximately 10000 files will be created. While doing so, MO hicups .. and thus we need the mentioned workaround with a newly defined folder outside of MO's filepath.

Nice work.

I just tried it and the whole process took according to TESLODGen:

[00:01:36] LOD Generator: finished (you can close this application now)

maybe an oblivion section in the MO guide would be useful, do you agree?

I wouldn't do it because I am behind on my knowledge for MO and Oblivion.

Yeah sure, why not?

It has been a loooong time since I modded Oblivion so maybe a collaboration?

Set up a placeholder page here.

I will eventually link it to the main page in the section 'Welcome' -- 'Features' where it lists the supported games.

If I/we get adventurous we can do the other games likewise.

Edited by GrantSP

Naa, there are lots of people who know way more than I do. I just happen to be interested in modding Oblivion with MO during the last couple of months (although that is currently on hold for me, because I'm researching a very nasty, randomly occuring BlackScreen problem on my pc, which occurs in some games, in others not... ). But I agree that an official STEP section regarding Oblivion+MO should be created to gather the latest workarounds, may it be standalone or as an seperate tab on hishutup's link. Here is what I am aware of.

OBSE

https://forum.step-project.com/topic/3560-obse-will-not-load-when-launching-with-mo/?p=59014

TES4LODGen

https://forum.step-project.com/topic/3481-mo-for-oblivion-tes4lodgen-memory-use-issues/page-2?do=findComment&comment=98868

TES4ll / MPGUI

• MPGUI doesn't work, don't try it
  • TES4ll --> For creating Distant Meshes & Normal Maps a workaround exists, TES4qLod does not work at this point (same issue like with TES4LODGen, we would need a newly defined output folder, which is not possible with TES4qLod as of now)
  • The author gruftikus is working on a new version of TES4ll, see here and here, which should fix the remaining problems with TES4ll, once released that is.
  • Thread: Link
  • Solution for TES4ll (to create Distant Meshes & Normal Maps): Link1 - Link2

Skyrim Performance Monitor

In case you want to know, how to use SPM on Oblivion, while the combo MO-OBSE-ENBoost is already used (with the specific workaround for OBSE) - yeah, I did go a little bit crazy on this one ::P: - check this out:

Link

The important trick here is, to activate SPM's "Safe Mode".

That is what I am aware of, if I haven't forgot something. What I don't know, or do not have any knowledge with, is for example how to use the Construction Set with MO.

Edited by pStyl3

The problem here seems to be the actual number of files TES4LODGen attempts to create. Assuming that m4DnZ installed RAEVWD and thus wants to run TES4LODGen afterwards, approximately 10000 files will be created. While doing so, MO hiccups .. and thus we need the mentioned workaround with a newly defined folder outside of MO's filepath.

This worked for me, thank you so much!

I strongly agree that we need a specific tab for the Oblivion workarounds. It took me way too long to get oblivion to work via MO, and I still suspect it doesn't work 100%.

Edited by m4DnZ

Now that I've played with this workaround I found that the path you assign TES4LODGen to write it's files should not contain any spaces.

For ex. I added "-O:G:\Generated DistantLOD" to the TES4LODGen.exe arguments in the Modify executables tab, but after the program was finished I found that the files had been generated to "G:\Generated"