Difference Between Wiki Directory Sizes and Mine After DDSOpt Optimization

Lohengramm

Question

Hi all, I was following the guide here:

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt/Skyrim

VERY closely, looking at the images, etc... and I noticed my file sizes look like this:

vl4QiX1.png

The guide says your Vanilla Optimized folder should only be 10.1 GB, but mine is 11.5 GB? 1.4GB is a pretty big difference and I'm wondering if I messed up a step, or if the image used in the guide is outdated?

I used the recommended 1024x1024 constraint for Vanilla Exterior Normal Maps, and for Vanilla Exterior Textures. 

7 answers to this question

The instructions in the guide mention checking numbers of files and folders, but intentionally don't say anything about file sizes since these depend on the DDSopt parameters chosen. We'll put in a note that makes this clearer.

However, I don't understand the comment about the guide saying the Vanilla Optimized folder is 10.1 Gb. In the file tree screenshot the Vanilla Optimized folder is 11.6 Gb. This was done with the resolution limit at 2048x2048 for most of the folders; there aren't many 2kx2k textures so the size difference may be fairly small. This is a little larger than what you got.

Under the section called "Optimize Vanilla Skyrim Textures" it has a screenshot on the right with some file size differences. I guess I shouldn't worry about the size differences, my game seems to work so far.

I did have another question, though. How do I know Mod Organizer is using my optimized textures? I put the .7z archives inside its Downloads folder, double clicked them inside MO, and it has them in the left side column now. I checked their boxes, and my game runs fine, but is that all I have to do? Is there a specific order they should be in, on the left column? I can't tell if it is working.

Thanks for your quick responses!

Yep, each DLC's optimized textures SHOULD be after the DLC and before their respective unofficial patch.

Std optimized should be on the top, above the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.

The best way to tell if it's working is to firstly look at the overwrite symbols, ie the lightning bolts. There should be indications that files are overwriting, being overwritten by etc.

Second way is performance in game. Has it improved at all.

^

It has been so long since I've played this, I have no idea. I'm also running Skyrim on an SSD for the first time, so I'm sure I would see a boost with or without this method.

Yep, each DLC's optimized textures SHOULD be after the DLC and before their respective unofficial patch.

Std optimized should be on the top, above the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.

The best way to tell if it's working is to firstly look at the overwrite symbols, ie the lightning bolts. There should be indications that files are overwriting, being overwritten by etc.

Reading your thing again made me wonder, is it right that my _opt files all say "redundant" and have grey lightning bolts? My order is what you said, STD_opt, Unofficial Patch, Dawnguard, Dawnguard_opt, Unofficial Dawnguard Patch, etc...

We'll put a screenshot of the MO left pane showing the optimized textures into the guide. I don't have gray lightening bolts on any of of the optimized texture files. When I double click each of the 3 optimized DLC texture file (e.g., Dawnguard Textures_opt) and look at the conflicts tab, some conflicted files are provided by this mod, some conflicted files are provided by other mods, and there are 0 non-conflicted files. The conflicts tab for STD_opt has 0 conflicted files provided by this mod, some conflicted files are provided by other mods, and there are many non-conflicted files.

In the right pane under the Archives tab the three HighResTexturePack0x.bsa (x=1, 2, or 3) are all unchecked.

We'll put a screenshot of the MO left pane showing the optimized textures into the guide. I don't have gray lightening bolts on any of of the optimized texture files. When I double click each of the 3 optimized DLC texture file (e.g., Dawnguard Textures_opt) and look at the conflicts tab, some conflicted files are provided by this mod, some conflicted files are provided by other mods, and there are 0 non-conflicted files. The conflicts tab for STD_opt has 0 conflicted files provided by this mod, some conflicted files are provided by other mods, and there are many non-conflicted files.

In the right pane under the Archives tab the three HighResTexturePack0x.bsa (x=1, 2, or 3) are all unchecked.

Maybe I never optimized my DLC textures and that is why they are being called redundant? The others are writing/overwriting, but not the DLC opt files.