Failed to refresh list of esps: could'nt find /plugins.txt

Genyosha

Question

Hey guys,

I really hope you can help me! Since my game crashed hardly I had to reboot my system... yeah big mistake. Next time starting MO all my Mods - made a fresh install today - are unchecked. If I want to activate them, MO tells me

"Failed to refresh list of esps: couldn't find ... profiles/Default/plugins.txt"

And yes, when I look to that directory, this file is actually missing. The weird thing is, that when I create a blank *.txt* file and check any mod again IT DISAPPEARS from my folder! No matter if I start MO regular or as admin. I also tried to copy the *.txt*-Files from a second profile (Testing area), with the same result. Whenever checking any mod in MO in, ALL those files are gone (but not in "waste", simply gone). So MO can't load them anymore.

Restarting my computer could'nt help. Any ideas? Please don't reccomend a fresh install... I did that today, because I had the very same mistake a vew days ago... so I am wondering, if MO causes this, or if it is probably caused by another programm, like an AV-Software (Using KIS).

Thank you! :)

Here comes the report from MO:

INFO (00:39:03.0683): Code page: 1252
INFO (00:39:03.0683): injecting to P:\apps\games\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\skse_loader.exe
INFO (00:39:03.0683): using profile Default
INFO (00:39:03.0683): data path is P:\apps\games\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data

ERROR (00:39:03.0688): failed to read "P:\apps\games\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer\profiles\Default\modlist.txt": No such file or directory
DEBUG (00:39:03.0900): data path: P:\apps\games\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data
INFO (00:39:03.0906): "aaa" maps to "Skyrim - Misc.bsa"
INFO (00:39:03.0906): "aab" maps to "Skyrim - Shaders.bsa"
INFO (00:39:03.0960): "aac" maps to "Skyrim - Textures.bsa"
INFO (00:39:03.0960): "aad" maps to "Skyrim - Interface.bsa"

Edited by Genyosha

6 answers to this question

Perhaps your AV software is interfering, try adding MO as an exception.

YES!!! No idea what made Kaspersky think that suddenly blocking MO out of thin air would be a good idea, but obviously they did... Thanks a lot man! And sorry for my delayed answer, I've just wanted to check two days in a row. It works again :)

Hopefully without no further problems!

Thanks! But, sadly, same mistake here: first activated mod gets me the very same error. Failed to refresh list of esps [because it can't be created, I guess]

This really gives me an headache... I thought that Windows (10) somehow messed up, and so I've checked the File-Administration. MO is in the right User-Group and thus be able to work like before. I also tried downloading new mods. It works, and MO installed them nicely. They just can't be activated! :O_o:

Edited by Genyosha

Hello, it's me again.

Sadly with bad news. MO has started the old game <failed to refresh> on me again. The tricks of yesterday won't work it out anymore... well, I did'nt move to admin and inherited ALL files etc etc AGAIN because that has been done yesterday. It really looks like MO deletes its own files! And the better phrase for "deletes" would be "undoes". Because they are there and then disappear in the net fracture of a second.

Can't tell why it's acting this way... if I knew it'd help, I'd make a fresh Install AGAIN (3rd or 4th time... in 3 months). But unless it can be avoided I'd prefer to let it be. Because I've done this before with the very same ending. So unless the problem lies in the installation-path of MO it shouldn't help imho.