Do BSAs Count Towards ESP/ESM Limit?

musclegeek

Question

I saw a conversation on the Fallout 4 Nexus regarding ba2 files taking up space towards the esp/esm limit and just wanted to get a definitive answer. From my understanding, in Skyrim and Oblivion the BSAs counted towards the 255 esp/ems limit. Is this actually the case? Also, does this extend to FO3, FNV and FO4?

Thanks

8 answers to this question

To my knowledge: no, of course not.

BSAs are not ESPs/ESMs.  They are loaded and processed by an entirely different mechanism.  I haven't tested, but I've never heard of there being a limit on BSA files.

I think the point here is that BSAs are loaded via ESP files. Although the BSA itself doesn't count, the plugin loading the BSA does. So yes, any time you have a BSA/ESP combo it will count toward your plugin limit. This extends to all Bethesda games, as far as I'm aware. MO can circumvent this by loading BSAs without the need for the dummy plugin.

I think the point here is that BSAs are loaded via ESP files. Although the BSA itself doesn't count, the plugin loading the BSA does. So yes, any time you have a BSA/ESP combo it will count toward your plugin limit. This extends to all Bethesda games, as far as I'm aware. MO can circumvent this by loading BSAs without the need for the dummy plugin.

With Fallout 4 and SSE you can associate multiple BSAs with a single ESP file.  With all games using BSA files you can load arbitrary BSAs by adding them to the sResourceArchiveList or sResourceArchiveList2 in your Skyrim INI file.  It is entirely possible to set the game up to load more than 255 BSA files.

Edited by Mator

Yes, there are workarounds. I was only speaking of ESPs which load BSAs, though, which do indeed add to the limit. If one plugin loads five BSAs, then that one plugin will count towards the limit. Loading them via INI will circumvent the count and the dummy plugin can be removed.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Yes, there are workarounds. I was only speaking of ESPs which load BSAs, though, which do indeed add to the limit. If one plugin loads five BSAs, then that one plugin will count towards the limit. Loading them via INI will circumvent the count and the dummy plugin can be removed.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Yes but, that's not BSAs counting toward the ESP limit, which is what was asked.  Of course ESPs count towards the ESP limit.  Honestly though, the question was pretty ambiguous so I have no idea what was actually being asked.  Maybe your answer was what he was looking for.

Edited by Mator

It seemed a pretty straight forward question to me and you have both answered it, so I thank you for that. This isn't something that was simply made up though, I have definitely heard this myself a number of times on the old Beth forums, but unfortunately I can't provide a reference to it. Unless it was something that was being questioned at the time and was still up in the air? I don't know. However, I'm quite sure you guys here would certainly know if this was actually the case and you have both said no, so I'm happy to take your word for it :)

I'm fully aware of MOs features of being able to load BSAs as well, sadly, this doesn't seem to extend to MO2... Unless I'm missing something on that part? 

Edited by musclegeek