(Skyrim 2011) Random Crashes - fxDustDropRandomSCRIPT Spam

O0mix0O

Question

Hi all,

I have crashed multiple times, starting a new game each time.

Having checked the logs, there seems to be a recurrent trend of the log ending with a lot of spam relating to "fxDustDropRandomSCRIPT".

I have removed multiple scripted mods, following good practices, used various crash fixing mods / inis etc. but still no joy.

I AM using USLEEP which I thought remedied this..

I understand though that this could just be a coincidence, and caused by something different, but I would really appreciate one of you fine folk giving it a look over :)

Many thanks,

Mix

Modlist: https://pastebin.com/627DDm5F
Load Order: https://pastebin.com/diMjbHYf

Papyrus: https://pastebin.com/cmBzsF04

11 answers to this question

Ahh, sorry for the additional difficulty! I had a feeling you'd say that.. Thanks a lot for taking a look!

As I mentioned in my OP, I have removed a fair amount of scripted mods in order to reduce the number of CTDs..

The following screens show only mods which contain scripts (all BSAs have been extracted so there are none hidden there).

It's troublesome as over half of the mods are contained within the STEP guide, with the remainder being fairly established mods...

Don't suppose this would help narrow down the cause?..

2cqd5qt.jpg2lax17s.jpg

Edited by O0mix0O

No, you would have to investigate in the xEdit to find this out. Since it's a vanilla script any mod could attach it without needing to include it in the mod package. I doubt it's the cause of your CTDs, though. It's more likely a conflict between mods somewhere.

Hmm.. I had a feeling it wouldn't be a fault within the script itself.. Especially after being fixed UPP Team!

Ah brilliant! I don't mind doing the leg-work to find the offending script as it's causing crashes every 10-15 minutes randomly..

Please pardon my ignorance, but am I to assume that I select USLEEP, alongside all my other scripted mods, then manually check each script to see if it interacts with fxDustDropRandomScript?

EDIT: I've found the script under "fxDustDropRandomAct", and found it referenced 48 times. I take it that one of these of these is the offending mod?

Edited by O0mix0O

Please pardon my ignorance, but am I to assume that I select USLEEP, alongside all my other scripted mods, then manually check each script to see if it interacts with fxDustDropRandomScript?

The only way I know how to do it is not pretty. To check to see if the script is attached to any other mod:

1. Load your load order in xEdit
  2. Select a plugin and hit Ctrl+F
  3. Select everything and type in VMAD into the text box
  4. Select find all records

This will show all records in the plugin with a script attached to it. You can then go to each record and see if the script name matches "fxDustDropRandomScript". There might be an easier way to do this, but this is the only way I know of.

Thanks for the instructions, I've done this on several records, including those I KNOW contain scripts but the log reads:

"Applying script...
No matching records found.
[Apply Script done]  Processed Records: 101441, Elapsed Time: 00:17"

I've ensured I am following them correctly, and have done it multiple times but the result is the same.. Even on "Skyrim.esm"...

Not sure if I edited my previous post in time, but selecting "fxDustDropRandomACT" in "Skyrim.esm" harbours "fxDustDropRandomScript"

f5dco1.jpg

With it being referenced 48 times by DLC & mods. Is this the same result which was expected from the method you detailed? Based on this, should I limit my testing to only the mods which reference this script?

2zfr02p.jpg

Papyrus errors rarely report anything useful for a crash, even when developing. What youre seeing is probably something similar to the spawn script where the butterfly unloads but the script is still trying to operate on it. The engine catches this just fine from what I've observed.