How to upgrade STEP 2.2.9.2 Skyrim setup to STEP 2.10

shack1069

Question

Hello STEP community,

Please bear my lack of knowledge as I am a novice as far as STEP and mods are concerned.

I have a rock solid STEP 2.2.9.2 Skyrim setup and that is running great. My question is can I upgrade that setup to STEP 2.10, or I would have to first remove all STEP 2.2.9.2 setup and start from beginning?

Thanks.

Cheers.

7 answers to this question

Hello STEP community,

Please bear my lack of knowledge as I am a novice as far as STEP and mods are concerned.

I have a rock solid STEP 2.2.9.2 Skyrim setup and that is running great. My question is can I upgrade that setup to STEP 2.10, or I would have to first remove all STEP 2.2.9.2 setup and start from beginning?

Thanks.

Cheers.

If you don't want to update, then just finish your playthrough with 2.2.9.2. The 2.10.0 guide will still be here when you are done and ready to try something new. 

When you are ready, make a new profile with MO by copying your current profile and naming STEP 2.10 or w/e you like. Then, as Tech said, use the changelog to remove old mods, and install new mods. It shouldn't take you to long to do so. You don't have to unistall old mods though, you can just untick them in the left pane of MO. Then if you want to go back to 2.2.9.2 they will still be there. That's the great thing about profiles.

If you don't want to update, then just finish your playthrough with 2.2.9.2. The 2.10.0 guide will still be here when you are done and ready to try something new. 

When you are ready, make a new profile with MO by copying your current profile and naming STEP 2.10 or w/e you like. Then, as Tech said, use the changelog to remove old mods, and install new mods. It shouldn't take you to long to do so. You don't have to unistall old mods though, you can just untick them in the left pane of MO. Then if you want to go back to 2.2.9.2 they will still be there. That's the great thing about profiles.

I used to give good thorough answers like that...then I took an arrow to the knee.

You'll need to do the clean save procedure, but you should be able to still use your existing characters. Just be sure to do as EssArrBee suggested by making a new profile before you upgrade. That way if something goes wrong, you'll still have your old (good) profile as a back up to return to.

If you do create a new profile (highly recommended), make sure all generated content (GenerateFNISForUsers, bashed patch, DynDOLOD output, etc.) are created as new mods in the new profile so these don't overwrite the generated content in the current profile.