Mod Organizer -- "Search nexus network for more mods" button doesn't work

toonfandub

Question

Hi all!

I have a dumb question that I'm hoping can be answered here.  I say dumb, because I know what I did, but I can't for the life of me get a fix for it.

Whenever I click the globe icon on the top left of Mod Organizer, nothing happens.  Same goes for the "Visit on Nexus" hyperlink on the Nexus Info tab of any mod -- I click that, the property window closes, and nothing else happens. 

Some time ago, I got click-happy and somehow disassociated a web browser with opening links in Mod Organizer.  As soon as I clicked it, I knew I messed up, but none of my Google-fu has turned up anything useful in getting this corrected.

Does anyone know how to re-associate those links with my web browser in Windows 7?  I should clarify that all other web-related activities work fine with MO (the Nexus Info tab is populated, it connects to my Nexus account, I can download mods using the "DOWNLOAD WITH MANAGER" button, etc.)

Thanks in advance!

8 answers to this question

What happens if you set Edge as your default browser temporarily and then revert to Firefox later?

Just thinking about how Windows sets default handling for webpages because that's all MO is doing here, using whatever Windows is telling it to use. There is no specific MO code to handle webpages except for the minuscule code snippets used to render Nexus pages in the "Information" dialogue.

First of all please provide MO version and the program that is registered as the default browser in Windows.

Hi all!

I have a dumb question that I'm hoping can be answered here.  I say dumb, because I know what I did, but I can't for the life of me get a fix for it.

Whenever I click the globe icon on the top left of Mod Organizer, nothing happens.  Same goes for the "Visit on Nexus" hyperlink on the Nexus Info tab of any mod -- I click that, the property window closes, and nothing else happens. 

Some time ago, I got click-happy and somehow disassociated a web browser with opening links in Mod Organizer.  As soon as I clicked it, I knew I messed up, but none of my Google-fu has turned up anything useful in getting this corrected.

I believe that the links you speak of from MO is purely your system. MO send them to the system default browser just like if you had a internet shortcut on the desktop and click that.

You can try the following though:

Shutdown MO.

Open the ModOrganizer directory.

Look for the "webcache" directory.

Rename the webcache directory to something else. (webcache_Old).\

Restart MO and Test

Does anyone know how to re-associate those links with my web browser in Windows 7?  I should clarify that all other web-related activities work fine with MO (the Nexus Info tab is populated, it connects to my Nexus account, I can download mods using the "DOWNLOAD WITH MANAGER" button, etc.)

There is a program in MO that handles this also. Not knowing your default browser is kind of a hindrance here. Try the following:

Shutdown MO.

Open the ModOrganizer directory.

look for nnxmhandlers.ini and rename it to something Else.

Start MO and click the globe icon.

Start MO and test.

If that did not work then we will need to look at running the application that makes the nnxmhandlers.ini.

There is one last thing you can do and consider this as a last ditch effort as it will set MO to a first run situation. You can rename the "ModOrganizer.ini" in the MO directory, as always MO must be shutdown first. Restart MO and follow the automated guide as before and test.

Sorry for the lack of detail, but thanks for the response!

I'm using MO v1.3.11, and my browser is Firefox.  I tried all your suggestions, but nothing fixed it.

As I've kept playing with this, I feel like the answer might be in the Windows File Associations -- that somehow I've de-linked my browser from whichever type of link MO uses.  But that's the problem: there are hundreds of extensions listed, and I don't know which ones would be specific to MO.

Again, thanks for your help!!

Thanks, but that isn't the issue.  Downloading mods from the nexus has always worked, it's going the other-way-round that doesn't. 

Here's another example: when I right-click a mod that needs to be updated, there's an option for "Visit on Nexus".  When I click that, nothing happens.  No webpage, no browser movement of any kind, zilch.  It doesn't hinder my ability to download mods, just stops me from visiting the web going back the other way... orz

@Greg, that is where I was going next.

toonfandun, if you type NXM in the search box on the MO support page you will get a lot of results.

You Can Now Open NXM Files Using Multiple Programs should do the trick for you. Post 11 gives detailed instructions. You may need to also reset the association in Firefox also. In firefox settings find "Applications" and set it to "Always Ask". Then try downloading again. I would leave it on this setting.

Thanks, and I've actually found A TON of help on getting MO associated with downloading mods.  That isn't my problem.  The problem is that I can't get MO to open webpages.

Clicking the blue globe icon on the top left is supposed to take me to nexusmods.com.  For me it does nothing at all.  That's what I'm trying to get fixed, and I'm a little surprised that no one else seems to have this issue.  It's all about hooking into "DOWNLOAD WITH MANAGER", and that is not my issue.  MO can download files without issue.

I even tried to open the documentation from the top-right "Help" bubble, but no-go.  Could someone at least give me that URL so I can search there?

Edited by toonfandub