Oldrim STEP New Game "Animals" Not Hostile

mentaltyranny

Everyone, I am having the strangest issue with my STEP Extended installation.  For some reason, no animals are hostile to me, not skeevers, not wolves, not mammoths, and not even mud crabs… They will fight back if attacked, but they will not initiate combat.  In fact, they seem to be "allied" to me, rushing to attack whatever is hostile.

Now I know my way around an ESP/ESM file, and I can verify it is not the usual culprits.  I did have blessing of Kyne active, but I dispelled it with a console command, and the glitch persisted.  I have not been to High Hrothgar, and so I have not read any of the tablets.  This is basically a new STEP Extended install with the following changes:

• UPGRADED clothing and clutter fixes to 2.0 (and accordingly removed appropriately attired Jarl's)
  • Deadly dragons
  • Deadly dragons script patch
  • Narc (deadly dragons version)
  • weapons and armor fixes (ADDED dragon mask priest fixes and ammunition fixes)
  • Legible item descriptions for SkyUI
  • REMOVED main font replacement
  • Skygazer moons – Masser and Secunda
  • Disparity
  • EK_ringlimiter
  • Jaxonz positioner
  • Multiple floor sandboxing
  • More dangerous traps
  • AH Hotkeys
  • No level item awards
  • Mighty magick Skyrim
  • Complete alchemy and cooking overhaul (and REMOVED the appropriate mods, such as claims drop pearls)
  • Immersive College of Winterhold
  • College of Winterhold entry requirements
  • Better college application
  • Mater smash (INSTEAD of bashed patch)
  • 3 custom ESPs – one fixes incompatibilities between STEP mods only, one fixes incompatibilities between all mods below and including AH hotkeys between themselves and the STEP mods, and one fixes incompatibilities between all mods on this list and the STEP mods
  • DynDOLOD – ADDED lanterns of Skyrim patch, HighHrothgarWindowGlow.esp, and checked FXglow, windows, high, and add fake lights to child a parent cells

That's basically it; everything else power STEP extended to the "T."  I have a suspicion that this issue has been around the entire game, as I have only fought with one wolf, and I'm not sure he was hostile before I attacked him.  Other than that, every skeever I have fought has been idle before attacked (to be clear, by idle I mean not hostile; they do wonder about still).  I have only been to Whiterun, the Barrows, and back.

Finally, I have tried disabling my compatibility ESP's, all non-STEP mods, and even running Skyrim through steam alone, and therefore without any mods… and in all cases the glitch persists.  I have not messed with any of the scripts or assets beyond following the STEP guidelines, making my compatibility ESP's, and sorting with LOOT.  I am at a complete loss!

Any advice is of course appreciated!  Thank you for your time!

Edited by mentaltyranny

Ok... this is even weirder! Wolves actively run away from me!  I have no idea what is going on... I don't use console commands (except to diagnose issues/then I reload to previous save), and my save size is 8991/340 (ess/skse) compared to my first save of 8041/54, so I doubt that it is save bloat... never mind that I have a powerful 3.5 ghz processor, 16 gb ram, and two geforce 970s... could it be convenient horses updating faction relations when I changed it to neutral and back to friendly? Any ideas would be appreciated!

Knowing your way round an esp/esm file is a good first step. The next step is to learn Binary Search Troubleshooting.

Unfortunately, when loading a save, it persists with no mods whatever... no this won't help.  Again, I launched it through steam so whatever it is, it is baked into the save file...

So I am really at a complete lose here!

Unfortunately, when loading a save, it persists with no mods whatever... no this won't help.  Again, I launched it through steam so whatever it is, it is baked into the save file...

So I am really at a complete lose here!

If this behavior is caused by a script, that script may be baked into the save file so deactivating all plugins won't help. Some properties from plugins get baked into the save file as well so you may need to start a new game to troubleshoot this issue.

If this behavior is caused by a script, that script may be baked into the save file so deactivating all plugins won't help. Some properties from plugins get baked into the save file as well so you may need to start a new game to troubleshoot this issue.

Yeah, I started a new game without changing my mod configuration using the coc whiterunexterior01 mentioned in your link.  The effect did NOT persist... so I am starting a game and seeing what happens.  I have only the mods mentioned above, so I have no idea what the culprit was... my only thought is that it could be Convenient Horse's update faction relations scripts when I was exploring the MCM menu for it.  I am going to avoid triggering that this time. 

I just wanted to let everyone that I figured out the issue.  The problem is Disparity.  If you don't choose a race or class with a bonus in Smithing, you start the game with a Smithing skill of 5.  If you do the Blacksmithing tutorial quest from Alvor or Adrianne (others?), you will only be able to advance the quest to point where you construct an Iron Dagger; you will NOT be able to temper it.  For some unknown reason, advancing the quest to this point (and NOT before), and then walking away because you can't temper the Iron Dagger, will cause Skeevers, Wolves, Mammoths, and maybe other creatures to not attack or become hostile unless attacked.

This glitch is resolved if you raise you Smithing skill to 15 (through "player.setav smithing 15" in the console or fortify smithing potions, depending on your mod setup) and complete the quest.  I did not test if just tempering the Iron Dagger would work, I went ahead and completed the quest entirely (and then used the console to restore my smithing score).  I can confirm that this is the source of the glitch and resolvable through these means.  I do not know if this would happen in vanilla Skyrim if you walk away before tempering the dagger, but will happen with a STEP Extended setup with the mods listed above.

Interestingly, I looked in xEdit, the only mods affecting the quest are RDO, and have no idea how this is actually occurring with the way the record is setup.

If I had to guess, I think it's the quest you need to look at, not the mods. Some of the Blacksmiths are out in the boonies where it isn't completely unthinkable (due to Random Acts of Skyrim) that you could be attacking in the middle of smithing - this may have been put in as a protective measure.

• 2 months later...

Ok, I have actually had this issue REAPPEAR in game twice again!  At level 30, during the quest, A Night to Remember, I got attacked by bears, sabre cats, and pit wolves as normal during the trip to Morvunskar, then upon leaving all "natural" wildlife would run up to me as if they were hostile, and then just sit there... sometimes they would growl, but would definitely not attack... not even a red dot on the compass. 

Interestingly, I didn't real the problem until a few unrelated quests later, and I just went back through my save files, loading the most recent untested save and running outside to see what the wildlife did.  Unfortunately I didn't have a save inside Movunskar or the Misty Grove, but I did have one very shortly after the game teleports you out of the Misty Grove to the starting Inn, and the bug was there; but the bug was not present in the save right outside of Morvunskar.

So I picked it up again from there.  I tried doing everything the same, taking it one step at time, saving and running outside, seeing how the wildlife reacts, and then reloading my save to proceed.  Unfortunately, I did everything the same and could NOT reproduce the bug.  To make matters worse, after playing again without issue for quite awhile, I noticed the bug again when I noticed the spiders in Skuldafn (during the Main Quest, the dungeon immediately after Odahviing) just sat there refusing to attack me.  I should have reloaded then, but I honestly didn't think it would affect spiders, so I assumed that it was different bug.  Then, after returning to Skyrim, I noticed that the wolves, sabre cats, and bears just sit there.  For spoiler reasons, I just can't reload; it took me way too long to get through it just to reload and do it again.

I do really want to fix this.  Granted I am sick of animals jumping me on my travels, but the materials from their pelts is essential for raising my crafting skill.  It is actually really hard to get the materials without them being hostile.  I have a theory that the game uses a command to "turn off" natural creature hostility during certain periods within quests like Misty Grove or when fighting Odahviing, and for some reason, with my mod configuration described above, it fails to turn on occasionally.  Anybody have any ideas of console command I could try?

It is just so frustrating because the bug persists despite loading the save in vanilla Skyrim (of course I don't save when testing) so the binary method doesn't work.  Any advice is appreciated...

Shadriss, okay my suspicion is that a AI package or something similar that makes natural creatures hostile is getting turned off during certain quests and occasions.  Interestingly I can count Chaurus among affected creatures.  I there a way to reboot enemy AI through console command?

• 2 weeks later...

1) Stop parallel posting in two threads with the same info. Just clutters things up.

2) If you haven't already, I'd recommend checking through google for a complete list of console commands.

3) No idea if such a command exists or not - this is not a problem I've seen.

4) Is this SE or LE?

5) Have you checked to see if Realistic Predators is being run (as suggested by a previous poster, and seemingly ignored)?

• 7 months later...

I finally figured out the issue.  It somehow the player gets "stuck" in the Kyne's Peace faction, whether through the animal allegiance shout, Kynarth's blessing, or otherwise.  You can see if the below fix will work by opening the console in 3rd person view, clicking your player character, and typing the following: 

getfactionrank e0d58

If the console reports a value greater than or equal to 0, type the following in the console:

setfactionrank e0d58 -1
  • +1 1