skyrim mod organizer v.0.12.9 download questions

Quahogs

Question

Most likely extremely basic but I just can't find a similar issue anywhere

1)  DCF plugin, Quality world maps w/roads, small curser, tobes hi-res textures, hybrids plants and herb ---> all mods and a few others that when I open give me a message

If I continue there is an explanation but it's a bit confusing to me.   Any ideas what the issue is here ?

2) Some mods like Bellyaches, Lantern of Skyrim, Birds and flocks Hearthfire edition cleaned, Dawnguard skill interface retexture among others show a red triangle with the message "information missing,please select query info from the context menu to re-retrieve"  For most of these I installed the mod and I'm assuming they're ok but that could be a big assumption on my part.  Again I tried to read the info file on various mods but don't really grasp where or how to procede.

3) I noticed in NMM that you can launch the game thru a tab SKYRIM or SKSE.   I know there are certain mods that need SKSE to work correctly.  If that is the case then I should always launch the game thru the SKSE tab ?    

thanks all for your help.  Being new to the gaming (current) arena I find the constant game mod additions fascinating and can't wait to get everything just so (impossible? :-)  ;) and finally get gaming ! 

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I get that being new to Skyrim modding it is easy to use NMM, but that program lacks many features. If you will be modding for the long term then maybe invest a bit of time into something more advanced like Mod Organizer or Wrye Bash, there are guides for this on the STEP wiki, just check the front page.

1) Most mod managers need to have mods packages a certain way to install properly. This is something like DATA->Textures->.... or the top level is just the textures, meshes, scripts, plugins that go straight into the DATA directory. If it says no top level then the mod is improperly packaged.

2) NMM and Mod Organizer can keep track of the version of a mod so you know if an update has been released. If the meta data is not correct for a mod then there is a way to retrieve it so that NMM or MO know what the mod is. Not sure how this done with NMM, since I haven't used that in a long time.

3) Yes always. The only time you launch with the Skyrim launcher is if you are launching a fresh install of Skyrim for the first time.

You mean Mod Organizer v0.12.9. Okay then for question #2 the query info is for the files meta data that tracks the version number. Go to the downloads tab and any file with the red triangle right click->query info and see if MO can find the data it needs. If not don't sweat it because you can still install the mod normally, but you may want to manually type a different name for the mod you are installing where needed.

Yes I meant the MO v0.12.9. I see now what you mean as far as the query. Right under my eyes. Thank you.

As far a question 1 I'm following STEP 2.2.6 and downloading the mod that is requested. I'm trying to stick with MO installing everything for me so I'm hoping they aren't mods I'd have to install manually.

Well, SKSE has to be installed manually, and then with Fore's New Idles and Dual Sheath Redux you will need to add those to the MO executables. You already have SKSE so no big deal.

Fisrt off add BOSS to the list by clicking the button with two little gears, then type in BOSS as the name. Click the button with the '...' on the binary line and find the exe for BOSS where ever you installed it and then click add.

For Fore's New Idles you need to click the data tab and look for the tools section toward the bottom and then GenerateFNIS for users. There is an exe there that you can right click->Add as Executable.

For Dual sheath Redux navigate under the data tab to SkyProc Patchers->Dual Sheath Redux Patch and then add the Dual Sheath Redux Patch.jar as an executable like you did for FNIS.

For these you would install the mod in the order listed on the guide, but then run them after you install everything else from the same dropdown as SKSE and Skyrim. Run the FNIS first then the Dual Sheath Redux.

Thanks for the BOSS add. I've been running it but never thru MOD ORG. I noticed that I have alot of RED under recognized plug-ins concerning the .esm of dawnguard,dragonborn and hearthfire (not present or not active). Is that because those add-ons have yet to initiate because it's a new game ?

I now notice dirty edits under BOSS. I read that some don't have to be cleaned like the add-on updates ? In general is this something I need to address for the others ? I don't want CTD issues but I'm ok with not having the perfect game.

Okay under the plugins tab look to see if those mods are active, everything is as simple as checking the box next to the plugins. With the dirty edits it's the same as cleaning the DLC stuff that you've probably seen done before, but don't clean Guard Dialogue Overhaul. You also need to add TES5Edit to the executables in MO so follow the same procedure I listed for BOSS. I think you also may want to check the bsa tab and see if those are clicked.

1) Most mod managers need to have mods packages a certain way to install properly. This is something like DATA->Textures->.... or the top level is just the textures, meshes, scripts, plugins that go straight into the DATA directory. If it says no top level then the mod is improperly packaged.

EssArrBee,  Sorry but I need to go back to this.  There seem to be an increasing number of mods that when installing under MO give me the .  How do I get around this if the mod is improperly packaged like you say?

Also in the last post you mentioned the BSA tab.  What is BSA exactly ?  The only boxes checked in that tab are the .bsa files that start with SKYRIM - misc.bsa etc and they are faded light green.  

EssArrBee,  Sorry but I need to go back to this.  There seem to be an increasing number of mods that when installing under MO give me the .  How do I get around this if the mod is improperly packaged like you say?

Also in the last post you mentioned the BSA tab.  What is BSA exactly ?  The only boxes checked in that tab are the .bsa files that start with SKYRIM - misc.bsa etc and they are faded light green.  

Ok, I figured out No game data on top level which was preventing me from installing the mod correctly.  Small steps I guess.  But I tell you the more I read here the more I KNOW I'm in over my head.   But I will plod on and tackle things 1 step at a time.  :confused:

Another question however.  When installing a mod that is a patch of an existing or a mod for an add-on I get a MOD EXISTS:this mod seems to be installed already - MERGE REPLACE RENAME CANCEL are my choices.   I've been choosing merge.  Just seems like the right thing to do  LOL.   Is this correct in these cases ?

Yes you can merge the mods if you want to. Also, you can change the name of the mod before on the dialogue box before the MERGE REPLACE... dialogue box. For example, I install something like Climates of Tamriel, then I install CoT Dawnguard and MO wants to name it the same as CoT. I could just hit rename and name it something else so I can have two separate mods or merge them. It's about doing what you are more comfortable with, but atleast you now you know you have the option to change it. If you are doing an update of a mod you already have install; i.e. say CoT v3 and you want to install CoT v3.1 then you would click REPLACE instead of merge IF the update is a full update instead of a patch that updates to the latest version. That would be something like SMIM which is currently at v1.47, but there is also a v1.48 patch so those can be merged since you need both files.

Hopefully that wasn't to much info all at once.

As for the MO top level stuff, you need to pick the folder that will be the DATA folder and if there are optional folders that have files in them that you need you can move those into the folder you will be using as your DATA folder. So first move the files into that folder then select the folder with all the files as your DATA or top level folder.

That helps clear things up thank you !

MO looks alot better than it did even a day ago.

I'm trying to tackle Maximum Skeleton now. I can't even get it off the ground. I looked around for a similar thread here but to no avail. I can't even figure out which file to download. I'm using MO obviously. I dont have wrye bash. Any suggestions where to start ? Thanks

Get the XPMS 1-81 NMM-BAIN Installer, it's the second file under the main files.

From there when installing with with MO just use the options that are listed on the STEP guide for each page when the installer pulls up. For that particular mod you have to go to the mods wiki page for instructions. Choose 'default', then 'back hip dagger', then 'yes' for animations. If you choose not to use XPMS then skip FNIS too.

Get the XPMS 1-81 NMM-BAIN Installer, it's the second file under the main files.

From there when installing with with MO just use the options that are listed on the STEP guide for each page when the installer pulls up. For that particular mod you have to go to the mods wiki page for instructions. Choose 'default', then 'back hip dagger', then 'yes' for animations. If you choose not to use XPMS then skip FNIS too.

That worked well thank you.  Couldn't be more straightforward !

A prior post I noted that the BOSS plug in tab indicated alot of red concerning ESM's not active.   I no longer show any red because I checked the box in MO under the ESP tab.   There are a whole bunch of boxes NOT checked.  There are many boxes under BSA not checked either.   SHOULD THEY ALL BE CHECKED ??  The installed mod page has every mod listed with a checked box.   Is that not sufficient to RUN the mods ?    I'm sure im bordering on a real duh question lol but man I really don't know... 

thanks

The BSAs are BetheSda Archives, so they are used by the esm/esp so any that are there should be checked to avoid any complications. The plugins are a little different in that you pick all the ones you intend to use. So if a mod comes packaged with multiple plugins and you do not want all the stuff from those plugins then do not check them.

A good example is WATER which comes with multiple plugins. It has the WATER.esp, WATER - Plants.esp, and some Waves esp. If you do not want the plants to show up (I believe lilly pads and other stuff around water) then do not check that esp.

The BSAs are BetheSda Archives, so they are used by the esm/esp so any that are there should be checked to avoid any complications. The plugins are a little different in that you pick all the ones you intend to use. So if a mod comes packaged with multiple plugins and you do not want all the stuff from those plugins then do not check them.

A good example is WATER which comes with multiple plugins. It has the WATER.esp, WATER - Plants.esp, and some Waves esp. If you do not want the plants to show up (I believe lilly pads and other stuff around water) then do not check that esp.

so ESP's are mod's plug-ins ?  If the plug-in is part of the effect of the mod shouldn't they ALL be checked in general just to be safe ?   By leaving most of the ESP's unchecked I'd have no idea what I'd be missing...  other than the water example you noted.