Optimizing texture packs with loose files

zombiecurse

Question

I think I know the answer to this, but I want to verify as all this optimizing stuff seems very touchy and settings heavy.

I'd like to optimize Skyrim HD and the other texture packs I'm using that are included in the Quick Start Guide for DDSopt. The only thing is that it doesn't have any information there for texture packs, like Skyrim HD, that just have loose files. It just says "extract the mod files."

Now, I'm assuming that I can just take the texture folders from Skyrim HD and my other mods and put them in their respective subfolders under the "Mod Extracted" folder, but I want to make sure before I spend a lot of time on this. Any information would be appreciated.

2 answers to this question

Many mods have textures stored as loose files in archives with compression (usually 7-zip, zip, or rar). With these mods you would just use an archive program (e.g., 7-zip) to extract the loose files into a folder. All of the mods used in the example in the lower part of the QuickStart guide have archives which include texture files (a few also have file types such as meshes, but the optimization process will simply copy these into the output folder since DDSopt can only optimize textures). You can thus do as you suggest in your last paragraph. OK?