Merge Plugins Access Violation Error

hazelwolf

Question

Hi guys,

Whenever I try to run Merge Plugins through MO this error pops up.

(ERROR) Load: exception loading Dawnguard.esm

Access violation at address 00561DB7 in module 'MergePlugins.exe'. Read of Address FFFEC274

It will then, of course, fail to load any plugins that have Dawnguard.esm as a master. After checking my load order and retrying I either keep getting the same error or, sometimes, this instead:

(ERROR) Load: exception loading Wyrmstooth.esp

Access violation at address 005D2558 in module 'MergePlugins.exe'. Read of address 3F 3F 3F 3F

I've only had this pop up since updating SRLE from the changes dated 13th February in the guide changelog. After asking in the feedback thread @GrantSP suggested it could possibly be "memory or privilege issues when trying to access those plugins."

I have yet to try loading through TES5Edit, like they suggested, to see if that has similar issues but I will do so when I have access to my computer (where I'll check my memory capacity as well.)

Does anyone else have any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks.

Edited by hazelwolf

4 answers to this question

For all of you game and mod folders, and the merge plugins folder, do the following:

1. Take ownership of the folder and all files in it.

2. Unset read only on the folder and all files in it.

Other things you can try:

1. If you have an antivirus or firewall active (you do, trust me) try disabling it/making exceptions for Merge Plugins.  Avast and Windows Defender have both been known to interfere with Merge Plugins functionality.

2. Try running Merge Plugins outside MO as an administrator.

3. Verify you have ALL of the files from the Merge Plugins archive in its installation folder.  Missing the hardcoded dat file would be bad.

Thanks. That appears to have cleared up the issue (though how it got like that in the first place, I am still unsure since all I did was update some mods.)

Glad it's fixed!

Yeah, I wouldn't know how it got like that. Just Windows things.

Edited by Mator

"1. If you have an antivirus or firewall active (you do, trust me) try disabling it/making exceptions for Merge Plugins"

Thank you for this. Windows 10 has this annoying knack for automatically turning on Windows Defender even after you've turned it off and told it not to turn on again... I couldn't figure out why Merged Plugins all of the sudden started giving me these Access Violation errors out of nowhere and your insistent remark forced me to check again and low and behold guess what was back on again... ! Thanks again...