This is my hardware - what are my options in Extended/SR:LE?

natolars

My hardware:

Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.50GHz

16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690

447GB Corsair Neutron GTX SS (SSD)

BenQ RL2450H (1920x1080@60Hz)

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

What settings should I use in STEP Extended or SR:LE? I know that a GTX 690 has a relative GPU performance almost on par with a GTX 980, but I fear only 2Gb of VRAM will be a bottleneck here. Performance is the most important thing; too much stuttering ruins the game for me.

Suggestions?

with only 2 GB and Vram you will struggle you will have to compromise of the textre quilaty you 1K instaed of 2K i would recommed you start with SR:LE (as that is the base I used for SRLE Extended) get it working the way you want. Then look at SRLE Extended and see what mods you really cant do with out for me personally I would look to the NPC Retextures first then build from there, Good luck with your build.

I would recommend just going with STEP Extended, and avoiding SR:LE or SR:LE Extended.

I think the ENB and all the other mods added would be too much for your system.

With 2GB VRAM and Windows 8 instead of Windows 7, you are a bit underpowered. You can still do a STEP build, but go for the lower quality or performance textures when you can. If it still stutters, reduce the resolution.

Thanks for replying.

I think I'll stick to STEP Core Extended for now; I don't want sub-optimal hardware to ruin what should be a great SR:LE experience.

I'm planning to buy new hardware before summer because this rig is over three years old. However, someone on this forum said this is a bad time to buy a high-end graphics card. I know the GeForce 1000 series is due for release this year, and with brand new architecture I'm guessing they're going to be pretty expensive. Should we expect GTX 980Ti or GTX Titan X to become significantly cheaper after the GeForce 1000 series is released?

I would assume the prices will go down. That is usually what happens when a new version is released.

Also, I would highly recommend trying to get a copy of Windows 7. Windows 8 / 10 caps VRAM memory at 4GB due to a Microsoft bug with DX9. ENBoost tricks the system into using RAM as well as VRAM, so being stuck at a 4GB limit isn't the best.

I'm currently looking into a dual-boot solution for my machine. I'm on Windows 8.1 right now myself.

I would assume the prices will go down. That is usually what happens when a new version is released.

Also, I would highly recommend trying to get a copy of Windows 7. Windows 8 / 10 caps VRAM memory at 4GB due to a Microsoft bug with DX9. ENBoost tricks the system into using RAM as well as VRAM, so being stuck at a 4GB limit isn't the best.

I'm currently looking into a dual-boot solution for my machine. I'm on Windows 8.1 right now myself.

It doesn't seem like Microsoft is going to do anything about this bug, even though they are aware of it.

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1263324/gpu-memory-allocation-limit-on-directx9-windows-8

I can get a copy of Windows 7, no problem. The company who "built" my current rig (you choose the hardware; they build it for you) still have Win 7 Pro (64bit) as an option when you choose OS; probably because of this bug.

So I will probably go for a dual-boot option myself. I still wanna play DX9 games without a ridiculous VRAM limitation.

I tested my setup with 980 ti 6G VRAM. No significant performance difference between Windows 7 vs 10 for heavily modded Skyrim. Even with SRLE + REGS + MMO pack, Skyrim use only 3.5 G VRAM. I use tons of 2K textures.

4G limit is just a theoretical problem IMHO.