Cross fire question

bitdman

Question

I have two HD7870 cards in crossfire mode and GPUZ shows that they can run at X16 3.0 but are only running at X8 1.1 I'm not sure what to look for in the bios to change the BUS interface. The MB is a Sabertooth Z77. Any information or advice would sure be appreciated. And maybe some overclocking advice????

Thanx

4 answers to this question

I had this problem a few weeks ago fixed it by reseating the card.

This is a good starting point. Make sure they're getting enough power too.

BTW, PCI-E 2.0 x8 makes almost no difference performance-wise compared to PCI-E 3.0 x16, so if you get to that point anyhow, no f***s should be given.

BTW, PCI-E 2.0 x8 makes almost no difference performance-wise compared to PCI-E 3.0 x16, so if you get to that point anyhow, no f***s should be given.

Really?  I figured the much higher bandwidth from the x16 would be necessary, although I guess most SLI/Crossfire setups run on dual x8's.  If this is true, what's the big to-do about PCI-e 3.0?

Really?  I figured the much higher bandwidth from the x16 would be necessary, although I guess most SLI/Crossfire setups run on dual x8's.  If this is true, what's the big to-do about PCI-e 3.0?

Outside of Tri and Quad-SLI setups @ 5760x1200, there's not much in it. PCI-E 2.0 x8 has always been sufficient for most gamers, with less than 3% performance difference at 1920x1080.