Instructions for using Merge Plugins Utility

Having done the Skyrim Revisited build, I became acquainted with the Merge Plugin utility.  Being new to modding, I have not been exposed to Merge Plugins xEdit Script.  I can see from the revision history to the guide, it appears that Kelmych is moving the guide in that direction.

The first merge in the guide is for the Advanced Recon Trap Detection. I review the instructions for xEdit Script and the F&LNV guide which does have instructions for the Merge Plugins utility and am submitting the following for review.  Will what I did work? Is it acceptable?

And a couple of questions:

1) In C&PD, the mods are listed in the following order

Detect Traps - DLC.esp
Detect Traps - Perk.esp
Detect Traps - Traponator 4000.esp
Advanced Recon Tech - Detect Traps.esp

In F&LNV, they are in this order

• Advanced Recon Tech - Detect Traps.esp
  • Detect Traps - DLC.esp
  • Detect Traps - Perk.esp
  • Detect Traps - Traponator 4000.esp

I maintained the C&PD guide order, but which would be correct? Or does it not matter?

2) Since Merge Plugins creates a mod folder for the merge esp, instead of moving the esp into the Advanced Recon Trap Detection mod, I left it in it's own folder Detect Traps Merged and located it just after the Advanced Recon Trap Detection mod.  Is this an acceptable way to do it or is there a better standard/practice? 

3) The untick selection.  Does this mean it doesn't carry the content (meshes, etc) over the the patch folder meaning the intent is to keep the original folder and not deactivate?

Merging Advanced Recon Trap Detection

Plugin order matters for this merge, so make sure the plugins are listed in MO's right panel the in the order they are listed below.

1. Open Merge Plugins Standalone through MO and click [OK].
  2. Hold ctrl and click every plugin listed below:

Notice: If the plugins are contiguous hold shift and click the first then the last.

• Detect Traps - DLC.esp
  • Detect Traps - Perk.esp
  • Detect Traps - Traponator 4000.esp
  • Advanced Recon Range Finder.esp
  • Right click one of the highlighted plugins and goto "Add to merge", then select "<New Merge>".
  • In the popup, type the name of the merge and the plugin, then click [OK]. Detect Traps Merged is recommended for both.
  • UNTICK "Copy general assets" in the Settings->Integration tab.
  • Open the Merges tab and right click " Detect Traps Merged" and goto "Plugins", then select "Check plugins for errors".
  • Right click "Detect Traps Merged" again and select "Build Merge".
  • It may not show in MO's left panel, so click the small tool icon dropdown above the left panel and select "Refresh".
  • When complete click [Close], then close Merge Plugins Standalone.
  • The mod now resides in the Detect Traps Merged folder.
  • Move the folder right below Advanced Recon Trap Detection mod and make sure it is ticked.
  • In the left pane of MO, double click Advanced Recon Trap Detection.
  • Now go to the "Optional ESPs" tab and move the "Detect Traps - DLC.esp", "Detect Traps - Perk.esp",  'Advanced Recon Tech - Detect Traps.esp', and "Detect Traps - Traponator 4000.esp" to the Optional ESPs box. 

All comments are welcome.  If Kelmych or EssArrBee have any issues with the above or using their guides, please let me know and I'll not continue.  Most importantly, I just want to know if it will work as I didn't want to use the old x-Edit Scripts and go with the new!

Thanks

Edited by mcshame

1. the order shouldn't matter

2. that's fine

3. The Merge Plugins utility will copy the resources (in this case meshes) from the original mod, so it should be OK to uncheck the original mod. You can always check this by having the original mod enabled and use the conflicts tab to see if any important files from the original mod are still used.

If order matters in F&LNV, I stated it outright. Look at Yukichigai Gameplay Tweaks page for example. As for actually knowing whether order matters is all about where you are merging a plugin with it's master or by opening up xEdit and taking a look.

Also, the UNTICK part would only be if a mod has a plugin that isn't getting merged. I have all the Advanced Recon mods in my merge, but I leave out the two ESMs, so those mods would have to remain ticked because Merge Plugins does not copy over plugins. If you have "copy general assets" ticked then it would mean that you'd have duplicated files and waste drive space. 

I haven't submitted to LOOT in a while. It's pretty out of date. Everyone is off playing FO4 now. 

I'm holding off on FO4. Lots to do with 3 and New Vegas, by the time I'm done playing those, FO4 should be pretty mature with the DLC and mods.

Keep the F&LNV up to date, looking forward to it next!

Thanks's for the responses, Going to try to complete the UI section tonight.

1. the order shouldn't matter

2. that's fine

3. The Merge Plugins utility will copy the resources (in this case meshes) from the original mod, so it should be OK to uncheck the original mod. You can always check this by having the original mod enabled and use the conflicts tab to see if any important files from the original mod are still used.

Detect Trap.esm is in the original mod, so I'll leave it selected

• 3 months later...

I know with Neovalen's particular guide they are since his pre-built CR patch relies on several masters that are the ones made by the merges. 

So it's possible some may be needed, yes. You'd have to see if things like Missing Masters pop up.

I think in Kelmych's guide you MIGHT be able to get away without them, just that it leaves no space if you decide to add additional mods at some stage. That may or may not be an issue depending.

Edited by Nozzer66