TES5Edit (by ElminsterAU)

frihyland

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks a lot for this Nearox. However, could I ask how you learned to figure this stuff out? Opening up TES5Edit and applying the filter for cleaning shows me a bunch of red records and almost all of these are similar to the ones you and Neovalen show but how exactly do you know for sure if a red record needs correcting or not? And when to override rather than just drag? Also Neovalen missed a few so I imagine he decided that he didn't need to correct those.

Edit: an example of this is Gildergreen Regrown. Under 0001A276 "XLCN - Location" I find "WhiterunLocation etc" in red under HearthFires.esm and blank spaces in Skyrim.esm and Gildergreen Regrown.esp. I can presume this means that Gildergreen uses records from Skyrim.esm and has not updated the XLCN - Location record to pass on the HearthFires information. This makes sense to me, but XCLW - Water Height however has "Default" for HearthFires.esm and two identical numbers for Skyrim.esm and Gildergreen Regrown. Why did you not decide to clean this one as well considering it seems to be the same issue?

Zerocloud411 Wrote

Thanks a lot for this Nearox. However, could I ask how you learned to figure this stuff out? Opening up TES5Edit and applying the filter for cleaning shows me a bunch of red records and almost all of these are similar to the ones you and Neovalen show but how exactly do you know for sure if a red record needs correcting or not? And when to override rather than just drag? Also Neovalen missed a few so I imagine he decided that he didn't need to correct those.

Edit: an example of this is Gildergreen Regrown. Under 0001A276 "XLCN - Location" I find "WhiterunLocation etc" in red under HearthFires.esm and blank spaces in Skyrim.esm and Gildergreen Regrown.esp. I can presume this means that Gildergreen uses records from Skyrim.esm and has not updated the XLCN - Location record to pass on the HearthFires information. This makes sense to me, but XCLW - Water Height however has "Default" for HearthFires.esm and two identical numbers for Skyrim.esm and Gildergreen Regrown. Why did you not decide to clean this one as well considering it seems to be the same issue?

The FNVEdit training manual is the best thing for getting into patching.

https://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/38413//?

There is no bigger source of info available for using TES4Edit, FNVEdit, FO3Edit, or TESVEdit. They all basically do the same the thing.

It was left out because I went with USKP which I feel supersedes just about everything else. That isn't going to break the game though. It might change the way the water looks in that cell, but it is really shallow in that part of Whiterun so maybe it is best not to mess with it.

True but Arthmoor makes both of those mods and I imagine he wouldn't ever add something to one of his other mods that was an inferior choice to his USKP stuff, but I could be wrong. Anyway I am really excited for 2.30 and manual TES5 editing like this would definitely be appreciated but the reasoning behind some of the edits would be appreciated even more so because that way modders can use that information to hopefully edit the inevitable other mods they use outside of STEP and be able to logically edit any updates to said STEP mods in between STEP updates.

Seeing as TES5Edit doesn't support merging patches, how do others create compatibility patches for mods. For example, I use ELFX and would like to install SoS - The Dungeons but both mod the same cells, I think. A compatibility patch was created here but a user has stated that it is no longer working as ELFX has continued to be updated. And I was wondering if I could do a compatibility patch, where do I start looking?

Seeing as TES5Edit doesn't support merging patches, how do others create compatibility patches for mods. For example, I use ELFX and would like to install SoS - The Dungeons but both mod the same cells, I think. A compatibility patch was created here but a user has stated that it is no longer working as ELFX has continued to be updated. And I was wondering if I could do a compatibility patch, where do I start looking?

This is a manual and sometimes tedious process, especially with mods that alter a lot of in-game cells, like ELFX and SoS.

For an example of how to do it, see notes for the first mod in Animations & Effects section of STEP 2.2.7.

In a nutshell, the process is to open conflicting mods in TES5EDIT, establish which entries create conflict and merge the conflicting entries into a new ESP plugin (the patch), so that entries from both mods are present in the last plugin to be loaded (the patch) and therefore both are in effect in-game.

Hey thanks a lot rootsrat, I appreciate your help. It was, as you said it would be, a tedious task but, I think I did a good job. I have a question though, all of the "cells" I had to patch were, logically, because ELFX altered XCAS - Acoustic Space, overriding SoS. But in some of these cases SoS also had altered XCLW - Water Height. For example I had :

Skyrim.esm: -2147483648.0000; SoS - The Dungeons.esp: 0.0000; ELFX.esp: -2147483648.0000. So, ELFX had the "correct" Water Height but because I patched it with The Dungeons, that cell now has Water Height set to 0.0000, right? How will this affect in-game? There's even one cell were SoS alters this Water Height and doesn't alter the Acoustic Space, oddly enough..

Water Height records are a bit weird, I've heard that Bethesda introduced different valued across the DLCs for default water height. I am not an expert in this matter. Personally, I never change a record that a given mod should not theoretically change (i.e. sound overhaul mod changing water height - it doesn't make sense).

Agreed. But in all but one of those cells were Water Height was being changed by SoS, Acoustic Space was getting overwritten by ELFX, so I basically had to patch those cells if I wanted to get both the Acoustic Space changes from SoS and ELFX lightning. Oh well, hope it's not a big issue.

Ooookay I've got a question about this patching business. I used Neovallen's method for patching on his Skyrim Revisited page as you suggested, rootsrat. Read, right click ELFX and sellect "Copy and override to". But I've noticed that under XCAS - Acoustic Space there is, for example, SoSDngnACSPCaveFalmer from SoS-The Dungeons.esp and IntDungeonCave from both vanilla and ELFX, but using Neovallen's method, IntDungeonCave appears also under my patch! This means that SoS sounds are effectively not being used, correct? Ahm... was this the idea? I wanted to make SoS's sounds heard! Or maybe I did it the wrong way??? Help!!