Unable to obtain public key for StrongNameKeyPair; installation failed (errorcode 5)

Jathar

Question

When attempting to install SkyUI and other mods that use an installer while using Mod Organizer I get this error [unable to obtain public key for StrongNameKeyPair; installation failed (errorcode 5)]. I've tried running as administrator as many people with the same problem have done to fix it but that doesn't seem to work.

https://i.imgur.com/I8cYshg.png

13 answers to this question

Using Windows Explorer, right click on ModOrganizer.exe, and click Properties to see if the Unblock button shows up at the bottom right corner of the Properties dialog. I'm wondering if this screwball Windows "security" feature might be blocking access to the certificate store, but this is just a guess because I disabled this misfeature years ago to avoid these kinds of issues when copying files from my own servers. If I remember correctly, blocked .NET 3.5 exes and dlls can't run with full trust but they need full trust to access the certificate store (and APIs).

EDIT: Take this with somewhat of a grain of salt because I may be misremembering this behavior from an older .NET Framework. In any case, I remember having to jump through some hoops to get keys working properly.

Grab another copy of MO and install it away from any AC folders, such as where you currently have it installed: Program Files.

Though unlikely, UAC may still be hindering your .NET selection from working with MO. This may be why some users have had success with running as admin. TBH, it should make no difference at all regarding .NET framework whether the user is running with full or restricted access, it is a system-wide set of controls, but apparently it does for some.

Sorry I'm all out of ideas. The only thing left you should do is post an issue report on MO's GitHub page, being sure to outline ALL the steps you have already taken to rectify it.

As for installing SkyUI, assuming you have met all the requirements regarding SKSE, just extract the contents using 7z or some other archive tool and place it into a folder under MO's 'mods' folder. There's only two files, a plugin and a BSA.

This started happening to me as soon as I moved to Windows 10. It seems to happen to many of the fomod type installs. I found that shutting down MO and restarting it as Administrator got me by the problem. This was needed even though my account already has administrative permissions. 

Running MO as Admin and then downloading helped for me. I still have issues but it somehow manged to download like that. 

I also added Mod Organizer in my Firewalls "exception" list.