Vivid Weathers - a complete Weather and Visual overhaul

Mangaclub

Yeah, im running BethIni, but im using Vanilla Ultra with tweaked Shadow resolution/range for performance - only going with the "Recommended Tweaks".

Also using 4x MSAA since i hate the shimmering on textures.

But will give it a try!

I

Well, the shadow part usually works fine with MSAA, and the rest is not enabled - but ill look into it if there is a difference

But even that did not fix the problem with black snow at night and missing flame particle =(

Guess its a problem with the amount of snow in certain weathers.

Okay, to answer my own question, after hours of testing and tweaking with Tes5Edit:

It all bogs down to the usage of real particles as Ash and Snow fall. Since they are real particles, they need light to be illuminated and if there is no light (in the forst at night f.e.) they are all black.

The same is true for the flame problem. The close to ridiculously increased  amount of particles in snowy or ash-y weathers, prevents the flames (also particle effects) of any fire source to be persistent.

Even with raising the number von "imaxdesired" to stupid amounts like 13.000 the problem is not solved 100%.

The particles are also the reason why in certain harsh weathers the performance drops significantly.

After replacing the particle effects with normal shader from "Wet and Cold Ashes", Climates of Tamriel or Vanilla Skyrim, all 3 problems are gone.

Just for anybody that might wonder about those stuff - its more or less intentionally cause of the way the (cool looking) real particles work.

• +1 1

It's honestly, fairly simple. A few mods need to be disabled that are replaced (like Immersive Skyrim Thunder) and a simple patch is needed to override a few things in the STEP Patch. That's about it.

@TechAngel85

Hello everyone and hello Angel, first I have to thank everyone that is behind the STEP guide and all the mod authors behind the mods that are used in it, so HUGE THANK YOU FROM FRANCE   :^_^: :heart:!!!

I am posting here because I am following it for the first time (STEP:Extended) as I want to play Skyrim again and I have read what you said about installing VW AFTER I completed it (or during ? I am starting 2.F atm, Conflicting Graphics category).

You said that it was ok to do so but that an additional custom patch is needed AFTER the STEP Patches in the load order for AOS ("because the STEP Patches are overwriting some weather data) 

So my question is, if you made a patch could you provide it and if not could you tell me how to make it ;) ?

Also I understood what you said about VW replacing some older mods being used in STEP, you talked about skipping Immersive Thunder, is there more I should pay attention to ?

Again thank you all for your work, that's HUGE (I've watched your work a lot some time ago, even reading a LOT of the last posts on the forums to Watch chanegs happening, but I am really using it only now for the first time and I can't wait!).

Edited by Zorkha

@TechAngel85

I am posting here because I am following it for the first time (STEP:Extended) as I want to play Skyrim again and I have read what you said about installing VW AFTER I completed it (or during ? I am starting 2.F atm, Conflicting Graphics category).

So my question is, if you made a patch could you provide it and if not could you tell me how to make it ;) ?

Sure. Just do this:

1. Download and install VW (not the ENB version) and be sure to choose the AOS2, Lanters of Skyrim, and Lightning During Thunderstorms patches during install. The addons are all optional so use what you want. I install the vanilla rain option which uses the vanilla rain, but enhances it's effects a bit. If you run an ENB that doesn't support VW, you will want the vanilla rain option.
  2. Place VW it after the STEP Compilation in the left pane.
  3. Deactivate Immersive Thunder (it's no longer needed and VW thunder is great!)
  4. Active VW and sort with LOOT.
  5. Download and install the STEP Extended Vivid Weathers patch.
  6. Make sure the patch is loaded after the STEP Extended patch and you're good to go.

Sure. Just do this:

1. Download and install VW (not the ENB version) and be sure to choose the AOS2, Lanters of Skyrim, and Lightning During Thunderstorms patches during install. The addons are all optional so use what you want. I install the vanilla rain option which uses the vanilla rain, but enhances it's effects a bit. If you run an ENB that doesn't support VW, you will want the vanilla rain option.
  2. Place VW it after the STEP Compilation in the left pane.
  3. Deactivate Immersive Thunder (it's no longer needed and VW thunder is great!)
  4. Active VW and sort with LOOT.
  5. Download and install the STEP Extended Vivid Weathers patch.
  6. Make sure the patch is loaded after the STEP Extended patch and you're good to go.

Thank you for the instructions and your patch (when its not even in STEP 2.10 beta already!) !!! You are good at explaining stuff ;)

I will first try without an ENB and then I might try Vividian with it since I have a nice OC on my 970 and a 6600k.

I wish you a great day!

• 1 year later...

Hi, I decided to resurrect this thread from the grave since I don't know where to ask this question otherwise.

I love this weather mod and have used it in all my playthroughs.

But, there is one "issue" that's bothering me. At night in certain weathers the ground/landmass is actually brighter than the sky. This looks rather weird to me as you would imagine that the ground will always be darker than the sky. I'll post some pictures when I get home, but you can see for yourself if you go to Whistling Mine or somewhere thereabouts and look towards the Collage of Winterhold. Do a wait until night arrives. When I did this while it was snowing I saw both the ground and the collage as a white silhouette against a much darker sky, and it just didn't look right.

I'll make reservations for that I may have installed some mod that alters the colors. Will double-check.

I'm guessing Manga is nowhere to be found these days and will probably not update the mod anymore, but it doesn't hurt to mention it.

(This question is for Skyrim Special Edition btw.)

Edited by Whitestar127

In the middle of a move, so my setup isn't going atm, but from the description, you are in a snowy area... and they ARE brighter than the sky if there is any moonlight reflecting off of it. Snow is highly reflective, so having it be brighter than the sky would be expected - or at leas that's what I remember it being from my time up in Alaska...