Dual Sheath Redux - Mesh Packs Question

VirtuousParagon

Question

Hello Everyone,

I'm very new to the forums so I apologize if this post is not in the best place. I have used DSR in the past but it's been a while and I needed some clarification before I try installing it again. In the description on the nexus page it talks about using the patcher to add custom weapons and shields but that mesh packs will be required. What exactly is a mesh pack? Is it just a folder with the individual nifs? I know slothability has created a ton of them but what if someone uploads a very new mod that doesn't have a mesh pack yet? How do I make my own mesh pack? Like for this.

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

DSR functionment is the following :

1) It detect which weapon is equipped in the left hand

2) It equip an "armor", which is actually invisible, but is the visual equivalent of the left-handed weapon.

3) When you draw your weapons, it unequip the fake armor, and equip an other one which is the visual equivalent of the scabbard of your left-hand weapon (without the weapon sheathed in).

4) When you sheathe your weapon, it re-equip the fake armor with the weapon model.

Those "fake armors" are generated by the patcher, it create a fake armor for every playable weapons in your load order, and give it the model from the "mesh pack". It doesn't care if the mesh actually exist or not, it just tell the fake armor "your model is located at this path and have this name".

So you need the mesh in order to really see your left-hand weapon,otherwise the fake armor is completely invisible.

The trick is the same for right-hand staves and shields on back.

To create DSR-specific mesh, you need to create the new meshes, with the proper name (the same as the original one, in the same path, but with the right prefix, because the patcher only append the prefix to the model path/name).

There is a tutorial in the DSR optional download on how to edit a mesh to make a DSR-ready mesh.

Side note : The DSR meshes doesn't modify the original one, they are brand new one. This means that you can actually install every mesh packs available, those needed will be used, the other not. Will save you a lot of time rather than checking for each option if you have or don't have the mod installed.

Note that the "sword on back" option from DSR have for sole effect to give you new meshes for your weapons' scabbards that doesn't have the belt, in order to avoid that it look weird when the weapon is located on your back.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm still a little confused about the "fake" invisible armors you are referring to. I'll take a look at those tutorials and see what I can do. Basically I was trying to figure out if I was going to have to learn how to use Nifskope in order to get all my custom shields, staves, and weapons to work with DSR.