Evolution of PC Gaming. What's your story?

TechAngel85

Ah, Neverwinter Nights! I still have the diamond version of that game on disk. Spent multiple playthroughs with different characters on that game. The mage was my favorite. Unlike Skyrim mages, you could be a straight up mage and still be the game! Now that was probably my first introduction into D&D type of games. I tried Morrowind, but couldn't get into it and never played Oblivion it so Skyrim has been my first introduction into TES. :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first gaming experience was Call of Duty 4 in 2007 when I was age 3. Now I'm 12 years old, I play Black Ops 3 all day with my friends. My dad says I'm mature enough to get GTA:next week, so I plan to use my headset to swear at everyone in the game and play Eminem Survival down it!! My dad is so stupid sometime!111

@SparrowPrince. Somehow on the internet, you look a lot older.

Back around the late eighties when I was in college studying Electrical Technology, I started off with a Commodore 64, which got me through college.

My next computer was from Gateway and that lasted a few years. That was the last complete computer I ever purchased as a new computer.

I now exclusively build my own computers and like to say that it is a never ending upgrade as I always bring forward some component, mostly a hard drive, into what I am building. So even that my current computer is “newâ€, I have been upgrading it for quite a while with the hardware I have in it.

@SparrowPrince. Somehow on the internet, you look a lot older.

Said no one ever to me until now.  ::D:

Oh yeah it's the weekend now, so I have all day to play in the sand pit.

i'm not so good enough in English to write long sentences so sorry for all my errors.

but for me, as an older gamer, i played with Ultima V on a 386, VII serpent isle (one of the best rpg of the world) on a 486 DX266, Dune, dune 2000, Eyes of a beholder, Elder scroll (the first oneand after all versions), and so many rpg or adventure games from the 90'. I remember also old lucasarts adventure game.

Alos Zork for me, King quest not, it was in my mind too easy, "for the girl" in my memory.

it was a time where you had to adapt dos for each game, Memmaker was king and the couple higmem and emm386 the emperor. DRDOS 5 or MS DOS 5 then 6.22

Since 84 i have practiced almost all best rpg or adventure game taht has been published. First on a ZX81, then Spectrum and commodore 64 (i had a ultima 2 version on commodore). Many older gamers remember simon's basic on commodore. I leaded a few guilds in my gamer career, first around warhammer figurine games. the real one, then around ultima online, Wow, the real one, vanilla, not what it has become now, a child game for noobs players that want to beat a raid in one hour. When i was playing wow, having my first horse at level 40 as a paladin was a guild job in a very hard instance.

i also have in my memory a funny game named Zack McCracken  (if i remember well), Elite (the first one on 386), Lands of lore, Baldur's gate, and many more of them. They are still here in front on my, as i write this, each box has its place on my large wall of my office.

Actually, since the first alpha, i'm following ultima renaissance with shroud of the avatar. beta will end in a few month and we will start to fill this universe.

Are modern games good games ? i don't think so

Look at what is done actually. Best rpg game last year is an old school for me (pillars of eternity). The best adventure / RPG / immersive game for many old gamers, torment, will come back in a few monthes. Beta is opened.  Ultima underworld is coming too, slowly.

I think many experimented gamers that had the luck to know these years are awaiting these new old fashioned games. It was a time where a story was more important than a nice screen.

Actually, i'm playing Pillars, Eve Online, Homeworld remastered and its new variant called Deserts of Kharak, some pure wargames, sometimes Arma, Restarting Skyrim game modded with step and some others mods, A little bit fallout 4 ( too much visual, not enough story, too much politically correct. wont last for me in my memory)

A lot of my friends had Commodore 64s back in the '80s and they were great gaming machines for the time. I had even considered getting a Commodore 64 or Apple I or II back in the early '80s but I was more into operating systems and compilers, so the OS-9 operating system swayed me over to the Rat Shack side of town with what looked like a toy computer.

My first PC clone was a Tandy 2000 and later a Tandy 1000 (I think) EX, both of which were donated. The Tandy 2000 had some "enhanced graphics" that wasn't compatible with mainstream PCs and the Tandy 1000s had some minor compatibility issues. I definitely wouldn't have purchased the Tandy 2000 with my own just because of the compatibility issues. The Tandy 1000s were OK even though they had a few minor compatibility issues, but they were priced a wee bit steep for my budget. Back in those days I barely had a budget for food and gas, though.

After this the clone wars erupted big time, so I've been building my own PCs ever since. I get a lot more enjoyment hand picking the parts, including a couple of very flaky AMD motherboards. I think at that time most of the AMD motherboards on the market had a fair share of issues, so I moved back to mainstream Intel processors with Intel motherboards and haven't looked back. I've since switched to ASUS motherboards and love 'em.

@Mandalay: I think Kings Quest is memorable for me because it was one of the first graphics-based adventure games to come out at that time. The Sierra adventures were really easy to solve compared to Adventure and the Zork series, and they are really short. I didn't realize just how short they are until I picked it up again a couple of years ago and solved it in less than an hour. Sierra also had what I consider a bad habit of inserting arcade sequences into their games that don't belong in an adventure game.

@greg, yes King quest serie was written by a woman writter and were very short. ichoose lucasarts way. Did you remember a manor, three boys, a mad Genius, a time machine and a hilarious story ? how many nights did i spend to solve this quest ... the recent "Life is strange" didn't invent anything.

Edited by Mandalay

For your complete information, i must add this

in the next monthes you'll see these games

- System shock 3

- Bards Tale 4

- Torment

- Ultima underworld 3 : stygian abyss

all made by most of the  original creators.

i'm especially awaiting  SS3 that i forgot to mention in my previous post. The first SS is perhaps one of the best immersive game ever made.

Ultima underworld 1 & 2 : A game that came too early in the history of the game video. compters were missing video capability.

The Ultima series were some of my best gaming memories, surprised to hear they are making a comeback. I really hope they get the same atmosphere and style from the earlier games.

Does anyone remember the game that often came installed on one of the 5 1/4" floppies when you bought a pack of IBMs? Catacomb was the name I think and it was just a very simple dungeon crawler in the style of Hack, NetHack, AngBand, Rogue, ToME and others. Using ASCII characters and a lot of imagination meant the player was responsible for ALL the enjoyment, but what enjoyment could be had from a few thousand lines of C code.

I am just about old enough to remember 5 1/4" Floppys lol. I am actaully old enough to rememebr 8" floppy's and I actually still use 3 1/2" Floppy disks everyday.

:huh: I couldn't imagine what for... I don't have a floppy drive and I rarely use my CD/DVD drive anymore.