Dragonborn Sanctuary (WIP)

player home new land

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,280 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:34 PM

Discussion thread:
Dragonborn Sanctuary by TechAngel85
First and foremost, Dragonborn Sanctuary is a WIP...and when I mean WIP, I mean extremely early stage of development! :geek:

I have my own mod, Jaggarsfeld Extended, which fixes up the player home, Jaggarsfeld, but it is not 100% my original work. Jaggarsfeld Extended was my introduction to being a mod author by fixing up a broken mod which I love dearly. However, the authors of that mod are MIA and I've done what I could with what I had to work with. Therefore, I'm considering Jaggarsfeld Extended, more or less, final with all the major work and fixes complete. Now I'm left with wanting more...hence, Dragonborn Sanctuary.

Dragonborn Sanctuary will be my original work and will have everything I (and hopefully others) want in a player home. A disclaimer is in order, though. I am doing all the work myself, however; I'm pulling a great deal of inspiration from my two favorite player homes: Dragon Cliff Manor and Jaggarsfeld. As such, Dragonborn Sanctuary will be a bit of a mashup between these two great homes with my own personal touches on top.

Dragonborn Sanctuary Summary
Set in an entirely new worldspace large enough to explore, Dragonborn Sanctuary is coming soon...eventually...hopefully... :ermm: ... ::D:
A unique storyline to gain access to the sanctuary will accompany it because I don't like just walking in and staking my claim.

Dragonborn Sanctuary Features
I'll fill this out more as the mod develops...

Player Home (Manor)
This thing is huge! It extends into two cells!
The exterior is basically a copy of Dragonsreach because I like the art style, but with added personal details (like in Dragon Cliff Manor)
More coming soon...

All the Exterior Necessities

• Stables
  • Windmill
  • Forge
  • Smelter
  • Workbenches
  • Garden

Unique Armory

• Displays for all the armors and weapons in the game. (Become a hoarder!)
  • Displays for all the unique items

Unique Landscape to Explore

• Grove
  • Small Lake
  • Waterfall
  • Creek
  • Cave

Current Development Progress
So why am I posting this if it's so early in development? Because I want feedback from the community every step of the way! Post your thoughts and suggestions! I believe modding is all about community and I want this to be as much as a "community project" as it is my own personal project. I'll be doing all the leg work, but feedback from that the community provides will be invaluable to the development and success of this mod!

Sanctuary Layout

PnYoUbq.png

• Each of the squares equals one game cell. The worldspace will not likely fill every cell represented, but I'll update this layout as progress is made.
  • The orange...ish color is the landscape which has currently been developed (meaning it's not flat, blank land).
  • The legend is in the bottom right corner for each marked location.
  • Each location has the X,Y coordinates listed with it.

Latest Development File: https://mega.nz/#!Mt...tg67zDHOfdFZgRA
Use the file above for testing and feedback. Simply install it with MO, active the mod, and start up Skyrim. From the main menu type in one of the following for the locations:

• "coc DragonbornManorExt". You will load into the exterior cell outside the manor.
  • "coc DragonbornSanctuaryEnt". You will load into Tamriel, just outside the cave entrance.

April 3rd, 2016

• Fleshed out landscape around the manor; one cell out (grass is not final)
  • Changed the name of the cell from DragonbornManor to DragonbornManorExt (proper naming convention)
  • Fixed some seam issues (I've check in nifskope and the rest are issues with the meshes...you can actually see the gaps in the mesh...Brumbek come back to Skryim!)
  • Lowered the back part of the manor a bit in preparation of interior design
  • Fixed height of the side patio
  • Added border around the front exterior area with entrance way
  • Created interior cell in preparation for interior design
  • Created exterior entrance in Tamriel (when you enter, you'll land just outside the manor for now. This is not final)
  • Created stables (location not set in stone)

March 29th, 2016
Worldspace created and exterior of home built.

#2 Darth_mathias

Darth_mathias

Dragon King

• Pack Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:00 AM

wow TechAngel85 2 of my all time favourite mods together I will be watching this with great interest.

I have not downloaded yet but I will. I iwould like to say 1 thing could you place the house in a convenient central location i.e not at the top of the throat of the world.

Edited by Darth_mathias, 30 March 2016 - 01:05 AM.

#3 dreadflopp

dreadflopp

Dragonborn

• Pack Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:31 AM

This looks very interesting. I really liked what you did to Jaggersfeld. I agree with Darth_mathias that a convenient location would be great. I and many with me plays without fast travel. While this is fun and forces you to explore, it's hard to use player homes that aren't placed in or near cities. My suggestion would be a fast travel carriage or a boat near the sanctuary.

#4 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,280 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:01 AM

This being a new worldspace, it's going to be near impossible to put it in a central location and have it still make sense. The area is going to be a lot bigger than Jaggarsfeld, so tucking it into a mountain isn't going to work. It's likely going to be tucked near the edge of the map, but adding a carriage is a good suggestion.

#5 Darth_mathias

Darth_mathias

Dragon King

• Pack Authors
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:17 AM

i agree with dreadflopp a carriage or a boat near the sanctuary would great you just need to be able to pick any driver you want from any city tp take you there.

Edit: what would be cool but I am sure this would make the mod very very script heavy and you might not want to do this is if you could build or do up the Sanctuary. I've always liked those sort of homes

Edited by Darth_mathias, 30 March 2016 - 08:34 AM.

#6 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,280 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:34 AM

i agree with dreadflopp a carriage or a boat near the sanctuary would great you just need to be able to pick any driver you want from any city tp take you there.

Edit: what would be cool but I am sure this would make the mod very very script heavy and you might not want to do this is if you could build or do up the Sanctuary. I've always liked those sort of homes

I do have plans for a couple rooms to be modular to fit certain play-styles. Like the bedroom will be initially normal, but can be converted to better suit vampire players. This can be done with minimal to no scripts, if I'm not mistaken. It's the same concept that the Hearthfire homes use.

#7 Mandalay

Mandalay

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:29 AM

File installed on a fresh step install but coc doesn't work

is it correct that your file contains just an esp of 9 K and a readme file ?

#8 Darth_mathias

Darth_mathias

Dragon King

• Pack Authors
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:41 AM

File installed on a fresh step install but coc doesn't work

is it correct that your file contains just an esp of 9 K and a readme file ?

I can confirm that coc DragonbornManor does work. and it is going to be impressive and i am definalty going to be keeping a eye on this one.

#9 Kesta

Kesta

Thane

• Mod Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:57 AM

Looks promising.

ABC1sns.pngwKupAbm.png

I noticed two positionnent errors where your objects doesn't line-up perfectly, which lead to the light passing through. Not super visible on screenshots, but it "flash" when you're moving in-game :

30KfW33.png

gDm6Cds.png

#10 Mandalay

Mandalay

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:04 PM

I can confirm that coc DragonbornManor does work. and it is going to be impressive and i am definalty going to be keeping a eye on this one.

ok i'll try to see what's happen in my step install

#11 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,280 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:30 PM

Just make sure you're spelling it correctly, Mandalay.

Thanks Kesta! I'll fix those. I spent a good 30-40mins just checking for those. :) That first one might be an issue with the actual mesh/texture. There are only 4 or 5 parts to the main building (they're huge pieces!). I did notice a couple that are part of the mesh/texture that I couldn't do anything about without playing around in nifskope. That would be something I might try to fix later on. My nif-fu is only so strong.

I'll be working on it some more this evening.

#12 Teabag86

Teabag86

Guard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:04 PM

I'll be watching this with a keen eye TechAngel85. I very much like where you are going with this. My thoughts are with the others about entering the new worldspace. I'm not a fan of teleport spells to get to locations, as it just seems like cheating. Another option to the carriage / boat could be to use a mechanic like the Dawnguard entrance in vanilla where you enter through a small mountain pass. The footprint on the vanilla worldspace would be small and there are lots of possibilities along almost 3 edges of the map. There's a big stretch of land along the western border between Glenmoril Coven (Falkreath) right up to Dead Crone Rock (Markarth) that would have almost no conflict with other mods for this style of entrance. Of course it is a little out of the way, but perhaps that would be ideal in this instance.

#13 Greg

Greg

Dragonborn

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:29 PM

Somewhat along the same lines of thinking, an entrance similar to the one to Sky Haven Temple wouldn't be too far fetched either. I've seen this technique used for a couple of other homes in which the player basically enters a cave and comes out into an open space in a different worldspace.

I like the idea of it being off the beaten path since I spend the majority of my time in the wilderness and rarely use the roads, but I can understand others might prefer it to be in a more centralized and easily accessible location.

#14 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,280 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:41 PM

No, there's no way I'm going to put it in a central location. I value "realism" (or at least what would be real to me in that world) in Skyrim and you rarely see portals in Skyrim. I have an idea of how I want to do the exterior entrance and it will most definitely be done in a realistic way as to be able to walk there. This way your horses and come and go with you. I will eventually fix Jaggarsfeld so that horses can go in there as well. At that time will have to decide if I want to enable an encounter zone to Jaggarsfeld seeing that if horses can get in, then so can other things. In the case of Dragonborn Sanctuary, the "Sanctuary" is on purpose because it will be part of the story, if I can get everything working correctly. There will be a unique way of gaining access, though.

#15 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,280 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:26 PM

I've been working a little more today. I have those seams fixed and have developed the land around the manor, one cell out. I still haven't decided what sort of land I want this to be...pine forest with green grass, tundra, or fall forest like the Rift. Regardless, it'll be a lot of open space with "spots of interest".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skyrim, player home, new land

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users