50 replies to this topic

#31 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:38 PM

May I ask a few questions about this house?

It looks very elaborate, who were the builders?

Why did they build it where it is, ie. what benefits did they get for having a structure here - game hunting, trade, mining, drug runners, slavery, necromancy etc.?

Why are they now gone?

Structures like these are serious investments in labour and resources it seems odd to just have them abandoned, yet in reasonable condition.

I have issue with house mods in general so these aren't gripes about this one in particular.

#32 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,279 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:00 PM

some quick Screenshots and throughts from Sobek.

Enterance to Dragonborn Sanctuary (Sobek is wondering why there is a rock where there should be a black hole?)

http://www.mediafire...7_53_34_08.jpg#

The House (Epic)

http://www.mediafire...7_54_01_75.jpg#

Sobek Looking happy

http://www.mediafire...7_54_27_38.jpg#

Sofia Looking happy too

http://www.mediafire...7_56_14_42.jpg#

I actually do not see the "rock" in the hole using vanilla textures and it is likely your lighting that is making it visible. The "rock" is actually the ground. Cave entrances are weird and funny to make. What you actually do in the CK is make a "pit" in the ground to where you can't see through the opening to where the ground is. Bethesda goofed on this one. They should have simply made the cave entrance meshes enclosed, rather than having no back to them. I'll correct this issue with a "fake background" instead of messing with the landscape any more than I have. ...ridiculous Bethesda!

#33 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,279 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:10 PM

May I ask a few questions about this house?

It looks very elaborate, who were the builders?

Why did they build it where it is, ie. what benefits did they get for having a structure here - game hunting, trade, mining, drug runners, slavery, necromancy etc.?

Why are they now gone?

Structures like these are serious investments in labour and resources it seems odd to just have them abandoned, yet in reasonable condition.

I have issue with house mods in general so these aren't gripes about this one in particular.

Well...that's all part of the backstory which I'm keeping to myself for now. :^_^: Just know that all those questions have answers and those answers all make sense (or are at least believable) within the lore of the Elder Scrolls and Skyrim itself.

#34 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:19 PM

Ahh... backstories are good. I eagerly await the revelation of it all.

#35 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,279 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:43 PM

You know I'm a sucker for realism (realism pertaining to the Elder Scroll world) so anything I make will be sure to fit in somewhere within Lore or will have a story that, though may not be specially covered by Lore, is not a stretch to believe and fit into the world of the Elder Scrolls. :thumbsup:

#36 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,279 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:49 PM

On another note, I've contacted Brumbek with the mesh issues below so hopefully he'll jump into action. He replied that he's been occupied by other games, but might just have a look and they're major enough.

There are all issues with the meshes, themselves. Nothing here are issues like gaps between two meshes:

U7NO6rj.jpg1kGOFUq.jpgYpVWOSM.jpgoD6T5XT.jpgUDF4SQ2.jpg

Gaps, holes, bad texture alignment overall.

#37 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,279 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:46 PM

I would like some opinions. I've been attempting to near down what the main landscape will be. This is very important because it will influence the design for the rest of the mod; hence the reason I've spending a fair amount of time thinking about it. I've narrowed it down to four texture options:

#1  >>  #2  >>  #3  >>  #4  (all images are with SFO)

dcjeQGq.jpgjmf07Pk.jpgkytapKV.jpg7UEc0mr.jpg

My favorites are #1 & 4.

#38 Mandalay

Mandalay

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:02 PM

3 : Looks like alice's castle : definitely not

To be able to choose between the three others, lore could be important i think (at my age lore is important) so if you could just resume in one or two lines this place history, it would be easier to choose.

if it's a desolated place, awaiting the dragonborn, to regain its splendor, for example, the 4th one looks good.

Especially if after the dragonborn's return, after the first discovery, some green parts appears

Edited by Mandalay, 10 April 2016 - 05:04 PM.

#39 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,279 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:17 PM

This place's location is more important than the lore. It's located through the mountains south of Riften. The entrance is close the Fort Dawnguard entrance. This is why I'm with #1 or #4, right now. Either fall forest or snowing plains. I think I could work more with the snowy plains idea to round out the mod with little details that one wouldn't typically notice because it looks natural. That's not to say I couldn't work well with the fall forest theme, though.

The history is that it has been built upon and passed down through the ages to land in your hands, the Dragonborn. It will require a specific quest to be completed before you can gain access to it, but it's an early quest for those playing the main storyline. The purpose of the quest requirement will become more apparent when I design that part of the mod.

#40 Mandalay

Mandalay

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:21 PM

in this situation, 4th choice would be logical and let you create an atmosphere

#41 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:56 PM

I'd go with #1 but you should take your cues from the flora of the surrounding area. What are the general landscapes and flora of the mountains south of Riften?

Also if these fields were once worked by servants in times past, you might find remnants of the vegetation that was planted at that time.

Rationale for this is: once the cultivation by man is gone, the generic vegetation will take over and only pockets of the previous may linger if seeds, pollen, etc. can't blow-in and take hold.

Nothing exists in isolation. Your worldspace must touch upon those close by so they will influence.

#42 Kelmych

Kelmych

Dragon King

• Super Moderators
  • 3,664 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:55 PM

I agree #1 and #4 seem to be the best fit. With all the snow around I like #4 a little better as it's a bit more bleak.

#43 DoubleYou

DoubleYou

Wiki Stepper

• STEP Staff
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:06 PM

I like 4

#44 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,279 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:37 PM

I agree that number 4 feels more natural for the location. I had never planned on making this mod a winter scape, but part of the plan was to remain fluid with the design details and let the mod design itself. Looks like winter is coming. ...I couldn't help myself. :)

#45 Darth_mathias

Darth_mathias

Dragon King

• Pack Authors
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:41 AM

I agree with others 1 or 4. What you could do is start with snowy plains transistioning into the forset and a bit further in or something like that.

Edited by Darth_mathias, 11 April 2016 - 02:27 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skyrim, player home, new land

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users