Lighting

Split this off into it's own thread and added a link to the guide (hope I didn't EC you), might as well keep them separate. Just a note for when you're uploading files: could you please add

[[Category:Lighting Guide Images]]

to the description so the images are kept track of.  I've already done it to the files you've uploaded so far so no worries on those.  Thanks and keep up the good work.

Well done ... I'll give it a read over when I have some time.

Thanks! I'm still working on it. Still have to get the comparison images up as the main thing that's left.
You can use use the HighSlide extension (created by our own stoppingby4now) for image galleries. Note that you can make use of images external to the site if you have a cloud account or other that allows public linking to your files. this saves server space and is preferred.

Otherwise, you can upload the images as well.

Split this off into it's own thread and added a link to the guide (hope I didn't EC you), might as well keep them separate. Just a note for when you're uploading files: could you please add

[[Category:Lighting Guide Images]]

to the description so the images are kept track of.  I've already done it to the files you've uploaded so far so no worries on those.  Thanks and keep up the good work.

Sorry, just now seeing this thread. I'll go back and add that. Thanks.

Thanks! I'm still working on it. Still have to get the comparison images up as the main thing that's left.
You can use use the HighSlide extension (created by our own stoppingby4now) for image galleries. Note that you can make use of images external to the site if you have a cloud account or other that allows public linking to your files. this saves server space and is preferred.

I have an account on Imgur that I can use. I was using the wiki upload so that the images would always be there in case my personal account were to ever close.

I have an account on Imgur that I can use. I was using the wiki upload so that the images would always be there in case my personal account were to ever close.
Better that they don't disappear, so upload is totally fine.

Nice work on the guide. I will add my own compares to that as well once I have them all completed.

Feel free to browse any of the other guides and make edits as you see fit. Writing style is not really consistent accross the guides, so that is something that I have planned to address .... someday. Volunteers welcome ;)

Better that they don't disappear, so upload is totally fine.

Nice work on the guide. I will add my own compares to that as well once I have them all completed.

Feel free to browse any of the other guides and make edits as you see fit. Writing style is not really consistent accross the guides, so that is something that I have planned to address .... someday. Volunteers welcome ;)

That's what you run into with wikis. It's hard to maintain a writing style across the whole wiki because everyone has their own vocabulary, point of view, style, etc etc. Just comes with the territory. I'll admit that if there are different styles I haven't noticed. I'm no grammar major either though. I actually hated English and Grammar classes. I tried to stay as third-person as possible.

I completely agree with techangel85. I don't think we should be enforcing any kind of writing style (as techangel points out, not everyone writes the same), but rather ensuring that information is correct and understandable. Attempting to enforce such would pretty much require a full time editor to do nothing but that at some point in the future. Once the wiki is more open, anyone with access can update information as necessary and there really is no way you are going to be able to enforce it. At that point we really only care about accuracy of information, followed by if it's easily interpreted.

I completely agree with techangel85. I don't think we should be enforcing any kind of writing style (as techangel points out' date=' not everyone writes the same), but rather ensuring that information is correct and understandable. Attempting to enforce such would pretty much require a full time editor to do nothing but that at some point in the future. Once the wiki is more open, anyone with access can update information as necessary and there really is no way you are going to be able to enforce it. At that point we really only care about accuracy of information, followed by if it's easily interpreted.[/quote']

This and this guy! lol :thumbsup:

I completely agree with techangel85. I don't think we should be enforcing any kind of writing style (as techangel points out' date=' not everyone writes the same), but rather ensuring that information is correct and understandable. Attempting to enforce such would pretty much require a full time editor to do nothing but that at some point in the future. Once the wiki is more open, anyone with access can update information as necessary and there really is no way you are going to be able to enforce it. At that point we really only care about accuracy of information, followed by if it's easily interpreted.[/quote']

That is what I meant, essentially. By putting it out there and establishing some stylistic guidelines, then a modicum of consistency will ensue. Say nothing and you pretty much guarantee that we will have willy-nilly.

Before the wiki is completely open, I think it is worth establishing guidelines, best practices and good examples.

There is absolutely no reason to not ask people to attempt spell words correctly, to use ["to", "too", and "two"], ["there" and "their"], ["then" and "than"], ["affect" and "effect"], ["accept" and "except"] correctly. Furthermore, it would be pointless to not ask those who know better not to correct these sorts of errors.

These are not "rules" to be "enforced" :no:  but rather "guidelines" for the sake of prudence :yes:

Hey' date=' just wanted to say great work :).[/quote']

Thank you!

Also, on the guidelines, those are good idea too. I'm a horrible speller. Luckily most programs have spell check, so there is no excuse for misspellings. I use Firefox and it's checking as I type this now so no excuses there. As for knowing the proper wording to use, (effect/affect, there/they're/their/, etc) some people just aren't good with literature. I have some personal friends that are just like that. Haha!

Also, I'm honored by the Wiki Editor Title, but I'm curious what the guidelines are to earn it?