Inline comment in enblocal.ini

Flopsy007

Question

On this STEP wiki page: https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Skyrim_Configuration_Settings

it says: "Comment: A remark that is entered into the INI file that has no effect other than to tell the editor what something is there for and is designated by a semicolon (;)." and an example is shown where a comment is placed like this in a line starting with semicolon.

I thought it would be okay to place a comment directly after a setting, with a few TABS between fx:

UseDefferedRendering=true ;comment

(TABS not added here)

But I find that Deffered Rendering is turned off if I do so. So if this does not work, is there another way to write a comment just after a setting in enblocal.ini?

3 answers to this question

Windows uses a very rudimentary parser for INI files that does not support inline comments. You might be able to get away with it for numeric values, but this is a side affect of the of the parsing algorithm stopping at the first non-numeric character and is not recommended. Using line comments as outlined in the guide and stay away from inline comments to avoid issues.

Got it! I did wonder why an inline comment after the gamma setting in skyrimprefs.ini seems to work fine (that would have been my next question). But that is explained by it being a numeric value.

Thx for your replies both of you. Much appreciated ::):

Edited by Flopsy007