• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 waterlogic

waterlogic

Prisoner

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:00 AM

Hello and thank you for the great work on STEP.

STEP was really instrumental in getting me off the ground to learn how to mod in Skyrim. It also helped me through setting things up in New Vegas.

Is there a plan to have a STEP guide or at least a setup page for Fallout 4? I would love to see a well managed resource like that going over the latest recommended ini tweaks, must-have mods, etc.

#2 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,858 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:24 AM

We've talked a little bit about expanding STEP into other games and Fallout 4 is the most likely candidate for this. Most of the staff are on board with doing so, too. This means it will likely be coming in the future, though there are some things that need to happen before then. The first one was the CK for Fallout 4 needed to be released. They've released the beta and the full product will be along soon. The second is our back-end needs new development. We need to finish off the Pack development and then expand current systems to include Fallout 4, or find a new solution for multiple game support.

In short, it'll likely come but there are some major obstacles in out way that we must overcome. The main hold back, currently, is the wiki dev. This has been the main holdup for over a year now. Stoppingby4now has been out of contact for some time now and he's the only one that has access to do all the server work. When he is around, his time is limited.

#3 waterlogic

waterlogic

Prisoner

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:59 AM

Thank you.

So, you need a web developer to upgrade the wiki software? Or, is it proprietary code that needs new features/design or something?

I might be able to help in that department.

#4 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,858 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:14 PM

Both, actually. S4N is pretty tight about letting anyone touch the server side of things, but if you have some skills, please share.

The wiki software update is pretty much ready, from my understanding. It just needs to be implemented. The dev in the wiki itself is the other part. Setting up everything that works together. The wiki is MediaWiki so if you are familiar with its coding, you already have a head start. I've been teaching myself more and more over time, but am not near S4N's level...yet.

#5 waterlogic

waterlogic

Prisoner

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:37 PM

I have many years of experience as a professional web developer.

From my side, it comes down to time and what the task is. If it's updating to the latest version of MediaWiki, I can do that easily if I can get access and the host you guys have allows the environment requirements. If the upgrade involves manually updating the old content to be compatible with the new version, that would probably take more time than I have available.

#6 Kesta

Kesta

Thane

• Mod Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:08 PM

For now, the mess Bethesda made with modded setup, trying to force their Bethesda.net thing onto the front scene, present an other challenge to make a proper guide.

#7 Razorsedge877

Razorsedge877

Jarl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:09 PM

Everyone knows how much time and effort you guys put into STEP and the WIKI, and we all know how great of a job you do and everyone is thankful for that. Why does a Fallout 4 guide have to be so complex. Cant you just start a generic guide, Something is better than waiting for years (we all know how time flies by)because everyone is waiting for WIKI updates and so on. I know Kesta isn't letting a WIKI update slow him down.

#8 Kesta

Kesta

Thane

• Mod Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:35 PM

I know Kesta isn't letting a WIKI update slow him down.

Yes, but he is just a single guy who's updating a single page (plus an other one for the changelog and a few templates), not managing hundreds of mod pages with additional infos, with a whole team that need a proper environment to work together.

#9 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,858 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:16 PM

What Kesta said. The wiki back-end is more complex than any of you really know. There are many interconnected parts that all work together to create the Guide, maintain versions, and allows us to work on the Guides in a controlled way. Anyone can create and edit a page like the other guides on the wiki are. We have a more inter-working system in place and is mostly all custom developed. Though this system creates issues for us because if s4n disappears, we're left with our hands tied. Anyone who has been here long enough knows that Packs have been "in development" for well over a year now. This is because of the limited time s4n has and why I'm slowly learning the MediaWiki code.

@waterlogic
We actually need some part-time (volunteer) devs. I doubt that you'll be granted access to the server seeing not even I have that access; however, other areas may be in need soon. I usually don't get my way, but I like to annoy and push these other guys forward because I don't like things becoming stagnant. The total halt of the wiki dev is a sort of thorn in my side that I'd like to remove.

#10 waterlogic

waterlogic

Prisoner

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:46 PM

Writing guides and wikis is pretty well-worn ground at this point. It really shouldn't require anything proprietary. I would recommend ditching the custom solution, installing an open-source, vanilla install (no customizations) so that maintenance of it is something that takes a person 1 day a year. The latest mediawiki probably does everything you need out of the box.

#11 GrantSP

GrantSP

The antipodean

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:33 PM

Writing guides and wikis is pretty well-worn ground at this point. It really shouldn't require anything proprietary. I would recommend ditching the custom solution, installing an open-source, vanilla install (no customizations) so that maintenance of it is something that takes a person 1 day a year. The latest mediawiki probably does everything you need out of the box.

I think this approach has much merit to it. Any closed-source software is a pain to maintain for a team of users such as ourselves.

#12 SoonerMagicEE

SoonerMagicEE

Prisoner

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:52 PM

I don't have much experience with web development or wikis, but I can say I have to agree. Any time you lock yourself into a single source (or person), you're asking for trouble. The current system works great...it really does. However, it's a HUGE risk. I would strongly suggest looking into another solution that isn't tied to any one person or any proprietary code.

Edit: I should mention that while I don't work with web development or wikis, I do work on software for a living, so I'm not completely out of my element in this discussion. :P

Edited by SoonerMagicEE, 29 April 2016 - 08:53 PM.

#13 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,858 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:26 PM

Nothing being done is "closed-sourced" about the wiki. It is pure 100% MediaWiki with extensions to provide some more functionalities. What I am talking about is the development of that wiki using the built in tools. S4N is the one with the greatest skills there and we are fairly dependent on him to create many of the more complicated inter-workings of our wiki build. This is why I'm slowing learning. So that I may eventually become an assistance on that front. As far as I know there is only one custom "closed-source" part about our setup.

What I did say was S4N does all the software upkeep and maintenance as per is credits on the STEP Guide.

#14 SoonerMagicEE

SoonerMagicEE

Prisoner

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:40 PM

Ah...it kinda sounded like it was "proprietary" code being used. It seems it's merely a problem of cross-training so that more than one person knows what's going on, and you're already working on correcting that issue.  ::):

#15 TechAngel85

TechAngel85

Akatosh

• Administrators
  • 11,858 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:33 PM

Yes, that is why we're always looking for those talented with MediaWiki. They're not easy to come by. Hence why I'm teaching myself bit by bit. DoubleYou has also taught himself some stuff as well. I've been busy in the CK with other projects, though, so I haven't spent as much time on it since I tested my skills out for that State of STEP article.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users