Suggestions to limit background programs on PC

tjax323

Argh! Just crashed, but nothing to do with my setup. iCloud notified me of a need to update by kicking me out of my game, and because I don't run in windowed mode (no alt+tab for me), I was hosed... thus, the "argh". Hadn't saved in a while, so before going back in-game I thought I'd post this. Cripes!!! Does anyone have any recommendation of tweaks/ software that STEP folks use to prevent annoying things like this from happening? Google shows a ton of stuff, but I'd feel better using something someone on STEP recommends.

Edited by tjax323

Vurt furken indeed. ENB(oost) to force bordlerless windowed mode, no need to alt/tab but at least you won't get hoisted by your updater. My Razer peripheral comes with Game Booster software that may attempt to address that issue, but I haven't bothered with it.

I generally stay away from software that has those annoying popups because they tend to get in the way when they are least wanted. A small notification in the tray or a dialog on application start is good enough. Having said this, popping up a dialog when I start an application to get some work done isn't quite the right time to tell me I need to update. I think Paint.NET handles this right... "An update is available. Do you want to install this update when you exit the application?" Quick, easy, and it waits for me to finish what I'm doing.

Simple. Turn off internet while in-game. No more updates ;)

But seriously, you should be able to alt-tab back in. You just need to alt-tab twice. At least that always has worked on my systems.

Oh holy hell. :facepalm: :wallbash: Ok, what's the emoticon for "duh... whichaway did he go pard... whichaway did he go"? I'm going with that one. Low tech and ought to do the trick. Thanks. Sincerely. Feeling stupid is a bonus I guess. ::D: