Wryabash Overwrite bashes results not the same as guide

Arrowwithnoknee

Question

Hello,

I have never posted on this site before but the guides here have always been something I rely on. I'm quite grateful that it exists.

I currently use the Mod Organizer and the up-to-date Wryebash application. When I activate Wryebash and create a patch, it does not have the bashed patch 0.esp in the overwrite section. Instead, it has a variety of files. At the time I did not think much and simply created a mod from it regardless. The end result was satisfactory, but as soon as I needed to make some tweaks or install new mods, the bashed patch I created got in the way!

You see, if I deactivated the bash file, it would deny me the main .esm of Skyrim. I tried removing the mod but that only removed the esm with it, which was my loss since I will have to revalidate my game, and I have no idea if the mods involved in the bashed patch is subject to corruption as well. 

My mains question is:

Is is strictly supposed to be Bashed patch 0.esp in the overwrite section after using a Bashed Patch for Mod Organizer? 

If I delete/remove my Bashed patch and lose my .esm, would that corrupt the other mods I have in mod organizer?

Is there another way to create a new bashed patch for my game without having to face this problem?

Edited by Arrowwithnoknee

11 answers to this question

Welcome to STEP.

I'm not really sure what you mean by: "the bashed patch I created got in the way!"

Did you create a bashed patch or not?

There are 2 methods of installing Wrye BASH and on my system they both result in a 'bashed patch,0.esp' being created in the "Overwrite" folder.

1. Install it as a sub-folder directly under your Skyrim installation
  2. Install it in a dedicated folder somewhere else e.g. C:\Games\Utils\WryeBASH\ (This is useful to avoid any potential UAC issues with Windows)

Both these options result in the creation of the patch and a folder called "docs" which has the report and sundry information from the process.

Secondly I'm alos confused by what you mean when you say: "If I delete/remove my Bashed patch and lose my .esm"

Which *.esm and how are you deleting the patch if you are unable to create it in the first place?

Long story short, if WryeBASH is installed and run via MO the patch should be found in "Overwrite". If any other situation exists then there is an error in your installation that needs to be addressed.

I'm also assuming you are following the STEP guided install, or one of the authored guides here such as SR:LE. Doing so and following the instructions to the letter should result in a working environment, perhaps you skipped a procedure?

To further assist us in helping you perhaps you could provide some details on how you have these tools installed?

Welcome to STEP.

I'm not really sure what you mean by: "the bashed patch I created got in the way!"

Did you create a bashed patch or not?

There are 2 methods of installing Wrye BASH and on my system they both result in a 'bashed patch,0.esp' being created in the "Overwrite" folder.

1. Install it as a sub-folder directly under your Skyrim installation
  2. Install it in a dedicated folder somewhere else e.g. C:\Games\Utils\WryeBASH\ (This is useful to avoid any potential UAC issues with Windows)

Both these options result in the creation of the patch and a folder called "docs" which has the report and sundry information from the process.

Secondly I'm alos confused by what you mean when you say: "If I delete/remove my Bashed patch and lose my .esm"

Which *.esm and how are you deleting the patch if you are unable to create it in the first place?

Long story short, if WryeBASH is installed and run via MO the patch should be found in "Overwrite". If any other situation exists then there is an error in your installation that needs to be addressed.

I'm also assuming you are following the STEP guided install, or one of the authored guides here such as SR:LE. Doing so and following the instructions to the letter should result in a working environment, perhaps you skipped a procedure?

To further assist us in helping you perhaps you could provide some details on how you have these tools installed?

Apologies if I am being vague. I am a tad panicked to some degree so I wasn't making myself very clear.

1) I installed Wrye bash with the installer and it is located in the skyrim folder. I have MO installed with installer. Skyrim through steam. 

2) The step provided by gamepoet's guide goes along the order of 

Check load order, tick everything >>> Open Wryebash >>> Rebuild Bashed Patch >>> Make tweaks if necessary >>> Build patch>>>Close Wryebash>>>Check your overwrite in Mod Organizer >>> There should be a bashed patch 0.esp in it (Mine isn't. Instead it's doc and a series of other information) >>> Create mod >>>Activate the bashed patch on your list>>>Run FNIS/Procpatcher

3) It's hard to explain the second question properly. The idea is that after creating the bashed patch in my Mod Organizer, my update.esm,Dawnguard.esm, etc. (main game .esm) are tied to it. This means whenever I de-activate it, my masters list no longer has those essential .esm. This persists even after removing the bashed patch and I can only fix it by revalidating my game on steam. I was hoping to just simply undo my bashed patch and remake a new one every time I wish to make an addition to the mods, but with removing, I lose essential files of the game which from what I can tell corrupts the game. At first, I thought "hey, I can just revalidate and then make a new patch", but I start to wonder if it also corrupted all the mods I created the bashed patch in. If I wanted to be entirely sure, I'd have to reinstall all of my mods (which is a handful). What I essentially want to know is whether I can safely undo my bashed patch without having to threaten myself with losing my game files (or maybe even mod files)?

Edited by Arrowwithnoknee

Do a system wide search for "bashed patch,0.esp" it must be somewhere in your system if the installer worked correctly. I actually prefer the standalone archive version, just extract the 'Mopy' folder to where ever you want it. Until you find out where that file is it is pointless trying to take any further action.

Now I'm assuming it is placed in the 'Data' folder by the installer but it still should show in MO as an "unmanaged" mod in the left pane. If it is there then more than likely this is the file that is being updated by WB.

The second part of your problem is something else entirely. The game files should not be de-activated whenever you remove or disable the bashed patch. WB or MO are not doing this as that renders the game useless, as you have found out.

It may be that you have an overly-zealous AV package and it is somehow interfering with the operation of one or both tools and the DLC files are being affected. Unlikely but I see no reason for anything to be doing this.

Whatever your AV package set both WB and MO as exclusions.

What ever the situation the process you are describing is definitely not what should be happening and your game will be experiencing oddities, either through a missing bashed patch or missing masters.

Do a system wide search for "bashed patch,0.esp" it must be somewhere in your system if the installer worked correctly. I actually prefer the standalone archive version, just extract the 'Mopy' folder to where ever you want it. Until you find out where that file is it is pointless trying to take any further action.

Now I'm assuming it is placed in the 'Data' folder by the installer but it still should show in MO as an "unmanaged" mod in the left pane. If it is there then more than likely this is the file that is being updated by WB.

The second part of your problem is something else entirely. The game files should not be de-activated whenever you remove or disable the bashed patch. WB or MO are not doing this as that renders the game useless, as you have found out.

It may be that you have an overly-zealous AV package and it is somehow interfering with the operation of one or both tools and the DLC files are being affected. Unlikely but I see no reason for anything to be doing this.

Whatever your AV package set both WB and MO as exclusions.

What ever the situation the process you are describing is definitely not what should be happening and your game will be experiencing oddities, either through a missing bashed patch or missing masters.

I see. Thank you, this may be the necessary insight I needed.

Although I must ask, what is an AV patch? Is it for textures? I wasn't aware that a mod included in the Wrye Bash patch would cling itself to other files. If that is the case, I will need to see into it and make sure to exclude it from future use.

Shot in the dark, but are you using v306? Or one of the new beta 307 versions?

v306 is the current stable version.

Yes.

I have uninstalled all my mods and undone skyrim, Wryebash, Mod Organizer and reinstalled. After doing so, I am now doing bitesize installation of mods. There is a mod I suspect that may be at fault. Otherwise, perhaps a fresh install of those components was all I need!

After testing out one mod after another, it appears that one of the mods I've added into the organizer results in the wryebash producing a patch that ends up linking itself to the essential .esm. I will sort through until I find the culprit. Thank you all for your help, but I think it won't be long before I find an answer.

Before I do go, is there a possibility that a long list of mods would undermine the wrye-bash's ability to patch?