Wiki Editors: To do List

TechAngel85

Question

I'm creating this page for the Wiki Editors. We needed a place to compile a list of changes to be made, content to be created, to-dos, updates, etc. I'll update the OP as suggestions are posted, work is in progress, and items are completed.

Needs to be Updated:

• Troubleshooting Guide (Needs to be updated with new advice and old advice that is no longer applies needs to be taken out)
  • Wrye Bash Guide (see the list below)
    • Use the Official ReadMe as a reference
    • Add Color Codes for each tab on Wrye Bash
    • Add in how to create Wizards
    • Needs some less technical information for those users that just want a "quick start" to get up and running
  • xEdit Guide (needs to be completed)
    • How to remove masters from plugins

New Content Suggestions:

• Mod Reviews (place these on the appropriate forum thread please... not the wiki)
  • TES Lore
  • Texture Creation
  • Mesh Improvement
  • Python Scripting
  • NVIDIA Control Panel Guide

Work Completed:

Use custom editing space: (admin...please correct if wrong)
In most cases, it is totally OK to update a live page; however, it can be beneficial if you are working on new content or are completely re-working existing content to do so in your own userspace until the changes or content is ready to be committed to the live wiki. This will keep the STEP users that may be currently using the content from seeing constant changes and may just save them their sanity. ;)

To do this, use the namespace User followed by your username/page. Remember, page names are case sensitive.

For example:
        https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Username/Sandbox
        (clicking will create a "sandbox" page for you to edit on)

• Answers 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I got to thinking last night (which can sometimes be a scary thing :blink: )... Wouldn't the Mod Reviews be best written by the Mod Testers? After all, they should be the ones that know the individual mods the best. Also, where should these reviews be placed? On the mod pages that already exist which are also being used for he tables?

I got to thinking last night (which can sometimes be a scary thing :blink: )... Wouldn't the Mod Reviews be best written by the Mod Testers? After all' date=' they should be the ones that know the individual mods the best. Also, where should these reviews be placed? On the mod pages that already exist which are also being used for he tables?[/quote']

For now, reviews should be captured by everyone possible, as they are difficult to get in the first place, and we want our MTs testing as a first priority.

Revies go on the OP of the mod's forum thread. Perhaps later we'll consolidate onto the appropriate wiki pages, but that is relatively minor at the moment.

There is plenty to do now without reorganizing this paradigm ;)

Updated OP. Hardware guide revision is done. Also added nVidia Inspector guide as a new suggestion. I may take a bit of a break to actually get some game time in. Wiki was my second job for the last week. :teehee: LOL! I'll still be present on the forums.

Thanks for your hard work, it's much appreciated.
Yes, thank you Tech. It looks MUCH BETTER.

Skimmed through the guide, and I agree with it's current layout.

Only thing that is wrong is the sentence on shadows. Shadows are absolutely rendered by the GPU. The problem is the use of DirectX9 which is notoriously CPU intensive, due largely to the fact that it's not MT safe, and requests are batched in threads that are executed consecutively. The GPU can't render a scene till all requests are processed. Both shadows and particle effects significantly add to the number of API calls that need to be processed and will spike CPU usage.

Skimmed through the guide, and I agree with it's current layout.

Only thing that is wrong is the sentence on shadows. Shadows are absolutely rendered by the GPU. The problem is the use of DirectX9 which is notoriously CPU intensive, due largely to the fact that it's not MT safe, and requests are batched in threads that are executed consecutively. The GPU can't render a scene till all requests are processed. Both shadows and particle effects significantly add to the number of API calls that need to be processed and will spike CPU usage.

That's what I was trying to say there. I'll update it to better wording. These are the sources I used for that:

https://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2288589

https://benchmark3d.com/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-february-2012-benchmark/3

EDIT: Got that updated to be more correctly worded.

Updated OP again. Added to "Needs to be Updated":

• ATI CCC Guide (This should be "AMD/ATI CCC Guide" as they don't use "ATI" since AMD bought them out several years ago. Even the images say AMD.)(I, TechAngel, can't do this. Someone with an AMD card needs to jump in here and please do more than just post screenshots. :) View my NVIDIA Inspector Guide below for reference.)
  • Troubleshooting Guide (Just put an extra set of eyes on this...may be good to go.)

Added to New Content Suggestions:

• NVIDIA Control Panel Guide

My recent and current work on the wiki includes:

• added some new material recently to what was the BSA Extraction guide,
  • updating, finishing incomplete sections, and adding new material to DDSopt and Texture Optimization guide (especially with the release of Dragonborn and updated HRDLC)
Next I wanted to

• update the DLC section of the Skyrim Installation guide a little
  • add a small writeup on where Skyrim stores data since this is a frequent question asked in the forums