Wiki Editors: To do List

TechAngel85

Question

I'm creating this page for the Wiki Editors. We needed a place to compile a list of changes to be made, content to be created, to-dos, updates, etc. I'll update the OP as suggestions are posted, work is in progress, and items are completed.

Needs to be Updated:

• Troubleshooting Guide (Needs to be updated with new advice and old advice that is no longer applies needs to be taken out)
  • Wrye Bash Guide (see the list below)
    • Use the Official ReadMe as a reference
    • Add Color Codes for each tab on Wrye Bash
    • Add in how to create Wizards
    • Needs some less technical information for those users that just want a "quick start" to get up and running
  • xEdit Guide (needs to be completed)
    • How to remove masters from plugins

New Content Suggestions:

• Mod Reviews (place these on the appropriate forum thread please... not the wiki)
  • TES Lore
  • Texture Creation
  • Mesh Improvement
  • Python Scripting
  • NVIDIA Control Panel Guide

Work Completed:

Use custom editing space: (admin...please correct if wrong)
In most cases, it is totally OK to update a live page; however, it can be beneficial if you are working on new content or are completely re-working existing content to do so in your own userspace until the changes or content is ready to be committed to the live wiki. This will keep the STEP users that may be currently using the content from seeing constant changes and may just save them their sanity. ;)

To do this, use the namespace User followed by your username/page. Remember, page names are case sensitive.

For example:
        https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Username/Sandbox
        (clicking will create a "sandbox" page for you to edit on)

• Answers 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks all for the great work updating the wiki content. It is a big job and there are few willing to do it ... :thumbsup:

Thanks. Hopefully all the recent additions are consistent with the approaches you (and Ethatron) recommend. By the way, the DDDSopt guide has now been updated for Dragonborn and the new HRDLC. I've left the new batch files for cleaning the HRDLC in the forum until someone in addition to me has tested them.

Cool' date=' thanks. may be after the weekend, as we are on a sprint to release 2.2.1[/quote']

With the release of the UHRP I need to make a few changes in the DDSopt guide and Skyrim Installation guide. I should have these done by tomorrow; maybe sooner.

Cool' date=' thanks. may be after the weekend' date=' as we are on a sprint to release 2.2.1[/quote'']

With the release of the UHRP I need to make a few changes in the DDSopt guide and Skyrim Installation guide. I should have these done by tomorrow; maybe sooner.

Should this be added to the mod tables as well?  I haven't dug into any of the updated HDDLC stuff yet.

Cool' date=' thanks. may be after the weekend' date=' as we are on a sprint to release 2.2.1[/quote'']

Should this be added to the mod tables as well?  I haven't dug into any of the updated HDDLC stuff yet.

Yes, it should be in the STEP mod list.  I need to add it to BSA Extraction guide (save an esp).  I also need to add notices about the Vano mod unavailability to the Skyrim Installation guide. A bunch of small changes .. . If you have any questions about the HDDLC or new unofficial patch, I have looked at them quite a bit (but in the near term not as much from a texture quality perspective as we will be doing a little later) and I can answer questions. I agree with your earlier comment that we'll need to get more screenshots to compare some of the improved and some of the new textures against other mods.

I've also been looking at how to merge esp files with TES5Edit, especially some of the simpler ones, that could free up room for more esps. Basically it looks fairly straightforward but somewhat tedious.

Hey z, yes of course. I did use all ini-tweaks STEP suggests. I even changed mouse Drives, checked my fps via fraps and so on. Nothing changed, till i read something on some forum, that this nvInspector setting may lead to mouse lags in some games.

Hey z' date=' yes of course. I did use all ini-tweaks STEP suggests. I even changed mouse Drives, checked my fps via fraps and so on. Nothing changed, till i read something on some forum, that this nvInspector setting may lead to mouse lags in some games.[/quote']

Sounds like something for Tech to add to that guide. I use AMD

I did look into merging patches by the way. I made a Patch merge of 10 or so of the smaller esps, reducing my esp count by 10 (which is a big deal since it was approaching 255 rapidly). Some conclusions:

• TES5Edit can combine esps and the esp can then be removed, but only if the esp doesn't own the Form Id of any of the objects in records it affects
  • TES5Edit is great at manual editing of esps and creating a Merged Patch automatically, but it then takes a lot of editing to make any merged patch be correct
  • If the esp has a large number of records it is too tedious to use TES5Edit to combine it into a patch merge; there were multiple esps that I could have merged with TES5Edit but didn't (yet) because it takes so long
  • Creation Kit can merge esps, but it is all done manually; there is no automated support for this. It can handle merging esps that own Form IDs. It is even more tedious to use for esp merging than TES5Edit and less forgiving of any mistakes.
I guess we wait until the TES5Gecko team has time again to work on it again :facepalm:

Hi' date='

just dropping in, to help with one of the ini-settings of the STEP-guide: The setting in the NV-Inspector "max pre rendered frames=7" does lead to an enormous mouse-lag. When I switch to 3, the lag is gone.[/quote']

Hey z' date=' yes of course. I did use all ini-tweaks STEP suggests. I even changed mouse Drives' date=' checked my fps via fraps and so on. Nothing changed, till i read something on some forum, that this nvInspector setting may lead to mouse lags in some games.[/quote'']

Sounds like something for Tech to add to that guide. I use AMD

It's different for different users. I have mine set to max with no lag what-so-ever. I'll add in a note about the possible lag.