Rumor: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Remastered to be announced at E3

Pure speculation, but do you think Wyrmstooth disappearing from the internet has anything to do with the the forthcoming Skyrim Special Edition? Maybe Bethesda were so impressed with the mod that they wanted to include it the game as a little surprise DLC / supported mod, or whatever you wanna call it?  :cool:

Edited by natolars

Pure speculation, but do you think Wyrmstooth disappearing from the internet has anything to do with the the forthcoming Skyrim Special Edition? Maybe Bethesda were so impressed with the mod that they wanted to include it the game as a little surprise DLC / supported mod, or whatever you wanna call it? :cool:

We can dream, but I doubt it. Weirder things have happened, though!

If it does, I will remember to say that you called it! ;-)

Things are the normal doom and gloom over on Reddit, but the good ones generally seem to think mod will work just fine unless they've ported everything over to the FO4 engine. In which case, most things will still work, but the tools used for modding (mod managers, xEdit, etc) still need some time to be refined for the new engine. Being completely separate titles allows mods to slowly be ported over while users can still enjoy a fully modded Skryim on the original title. I will not be continuing my personal modding projects until I know they will port over nicely. There is just a lot of unknowns right now and will be for a while until Bethesda releases some more information. Which will likely be a little while...

I think if porting is necessary to make it work (and it will be for anything that has a SKSE dll/injector/etc., since people have convinced me that the .exe must have been recompiled and also that recompiling .exes changes the addresses...), then most mods will simply never get ported. Either preference of the creator or the creator simply doesn't care or isn't even there to make it happen.

I'm especially curious to see how Boris reacts to this, since it's basically 100% going to be DX11, if he will finally be happy to be working on DX11 or if he will write it off as more "crapware" the way he did for FO4 initially... Probably also depends on how much of the graphical changes you can turn off in the ini... seriously that video was not impressive.

But we need to wait and see just how sweeping the changes are.

Anyways if there is porting necessary you simply won't have very many mods on SSE. And if there are not the mods you want, for SSE, then there's not very much incentive to develop new mods for SSE yourself. So then the question is "Is bethesda so out of touch as to not realize that that's a problem?" or "Is bethesda lazy and therefore SSE is as similar to Skyrim Legendary as possible and therefore everything will work fine?" :P

If the definitions didn't change then xedit will need minor updates if anything (I mean seriously to make it support different games all you need to do is rename the exe). If they did change then literally everything on the planet will need to be updated and in that case it's a big "Not going to happen, stop trying to make it happen." If it's 64bit then Tannin will need to make MO2 work consistently for Skyrim (probably will be a lot easier than trying to make it work for 32bit skyrim). But generally I don't think it's gloom and doom wrt to "nothing will work!" I'm more worried about handling the massive influx of console users wrt community management and education. Already that seems to be going.... very poorly... on the FO4 side of things. The gloom and doom attitude of many PC players and mod authors isn't going to help either. Nor will the complete lack of management or troubleshooting tools on console. Perhaps the gloom and doom is slightly justified in that case :P

In regards to backwards compatibility: "basically, yes". Personally, I interpret that as being "it's backwards compatible but not everything will make sense to continue using". I'm thinking of things like Pure Waters/WATER/RWT2 (there's a new water engine), Vivid Weather's snow particles (there's a new snow particle system), any texture mod that is objectively worse than newer official textures, etc. Possibly some bug fix mods if they fixed anything. Arthmoor stated somewhere that they haven't been contacted about integrating USLEEP fixes. Still, what do I know. We'll find out.

I believe that mods that rely on SKSE might theoretically be fine, it's SKSE itself that needs to be updated. Mods that rely on it will be fine unless the SKSE API changes, and who knows if that will need to change. It needs to be updated every time the game is recompiled, but that doesn't imply that they break backwards compatibility when doing so.

Edited by Harpalus

In regards to backwards compatibility: "basically, yes".

That "basically" can mean a lot of things. I'll just wait and see what the changes are.

Also, hishy told me yesterday about console mods, I still don't get it why authors are actually posting stuff over there aside from SUPER simple mods. It's a doomed concept to start with.

Personally, I don't see why there is any gloom hovering over it at all. It's going to be a separate title, so even if everything has changed authors and players will still be able to use the original game for all their modding needs. Any even if every few mods are ported over, there will likely be enough for users to have a satisfying modded game. Like I already mentioned, if it's the FO4 engine some authors will already have a leg up. Take SparrowPrince and his FO4 mod for water. That could likely be ported over to Skyrim with little effort if it's the same engine. I don't think it's as bad as some are making it out to be.

The only real concern for me is the dick-move by authors who are pulling their mods. Someone as taken your work so the only logical thing to do is pull all your mods punishing 100s to 1000s of users because of a few dickwads that hurt your pride by taking your work and claiming it for themselves. In that process you're also tossing 100s to 1000s of hours of your own work into the trash. That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of authors doing. Is piracy bad? Yes. Is it so bad that you need to pull your mods and punish all the other users in the process? No, get over yourself....then again I lean toward Open Modding, not parlor. Personally I would take it as a compliment that someone took my work. Then I would start making some changes and uploading them a couple times a week just to screw with them. haha! :lol:

EDIT:

Deleted that work from the filter. I shouldn't be in there since it's also a name.

EDIT2:

The opinions above are my own and not that of STEP.

Take SparrowPrince and his FO4 mod for water. That could likely be ported over to Skyrim with little effort if it's the same engine.

85% of the effects are new in Fallout 4 and I just made my own instead of using what was left of the Skyrim ones. Then you have the NIF work which is entirely new and only relevant to that game. The flow also needs remaking which is a pain for me in the Skyrim Creation Kit because it doesn't enable all the water effects in the render view (Fallout 4 does). So I think if I did remake it, I'd hope I can see all the water effects in the CK and the only thing I could possibly port would be the water surface textures.

All this does may do is create me more work, because I don't know what they will be adding. It looks like screen-space reflections and possibly flow maps like they showed from the game jam trailer ages ago - but that is a guess on the latter.

The only real concern for me is the dick-move by authors who are pulling their mods. Someone as taken your work so the only logical thing to do is pull all your mods punishing 100s to 1000s of users because of a few dickwads that hurt your pride by taking your work and claiming it for themselves.

I said this to Kesta the other day. I agree with your words here. How much self-pride do you have to have to think like this? Seriously, those people must think they are God's gift to the modding scene. Don't get me wrong, you can get angry, but by all means don't punish other people who just want to download your stuff.

Edited by Guest

SparrowPrince, it looked like Better Dynamic Snow would be obsolete as well. As for the rest we'll see. Threeten is optimistic that it may have FO4's rain occlusion. That would mean significant changes to the weather system... enough to give Manga and Laast a headache as well.

TechAngel, I'm worried about splitting the community between this new version and the original if that turns out to be the case. Sounds like not from the tweet Kesta linked. Maybe you're right and there will be enough mods to go around even if SSE is not backwards compatible, but I want all the mods!!!

And the community splitting itself up over consoles is already happening. I am NOT going to the mod author forums on nexus anytime soon. :P

Might as well just dissolve RF into WATER again and remake everything when it's out. The remaining stuff could just be bundled into a STEP download. I mean, we'll lose a few small mods, but most will be transferring over to this upgraded version anyway being that it is a free upgrade. I don't have much time to update my mod anyway, so I'll see what the staff think (Tech most likely) as Tech usually does a better job than me at managing RF anyway due to my lack of knowledge on compatibility. That female body fix I did (for example) was meant for STEP anyway, but I'd be up for it if some of the lager stuff will be obsolete anyway.

Edit: Then we still have this:

Is there a way to only get the water of the W.A.T.E.R. mod? The rest of the mod sounds great, but may conflict with my other mods. So just a file with the water would be nice.

People still get confused because they obviously don't read the description as usual.

Edited by Guest

I am crossing my fingers for a new Creation Kit to go along with this.

You just read my mind. As for compatibility, I remain optimistic and hope for the best. I do see this as a potentially good thing to breath some new life into Skyrim since it appears apparent TES6 won't be out for another year or two.