Rumor: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Remastered to be announced at E3

:-(

Man, this brings me down, DY. I thought it would be faster than current Skyrim due to utilization of more processor cores and more RAM.

If it is slower, then I will definitely be disappointed. I think I am currently bottlenecked by my CPU (laptop CPUs have horrid clockspeed). :-(

I don't even own FO4 yet, so I have no idea how my laptop would handle that game.

Yeah, but more cores and more memory doesn't magically make an application (or a game) faster. Migrating an application from 32-bit to 64-bit immediately has a negative performance hit because all pointers require twice the memory so most of the data structures increase in size as well. Of course, how much larger depends on the number of pointers stored in the data structures. Given a game like FO4, this can be a fairly significant hit on the overall size of the data structures and code and these data structures should now be 64-bit aligned instead of 32-bit aligned for efficiency. Perhaps the most significant impact is that the L1 and L2 caches are exactly the same size so now less code and fewer data structures fit into the L1 and L2 caches.

This isn't to say that this is the only reason F04 is slower. There could indeed be a mess of other reasons like poor optimization of available cores (*cough*Skyrim*cough*).

LOL @ More cores.

Yeah, but more cores and more memory doesn't magically make an application (or a game) faster. Migrating an application from 32-bit to 64-bit immediately has a negative performance hit because all pointers require twice the memory so most of the data structures increase in size as well. Of course, how much larger depends on the number of pointers stored in the data structures. Given a game like FO4, this can be a fairly significant hit on the overall size of the data structures and code and these data structures should now be 64-bit aligned instead of 32-bit aligned for efficiency. Perhaps the most significant impact is that the L1 and L2 caches are exactly the same size so now less code and fewer data structures fit into the L1 and L2 caches.

This isn't to say that this is the only reason F04 is slower. There could indeed be a mess of other reasons like poor optimization of available cores (*cough*Skyrim*cough*).

Well, that is really horrible news. Here I was, all excited because Skyrim was getting the restrictions taken off. 32-bit to 64-bit. No more reliance on mostly one core. No more use of only 4GB RAM. This thing will finally be a modern game (which my computer plays much, much faster than Skyrim)! So better graphics out of the box (who cares, I have mods) and better performance (hooray!).

Now I understand it is going to be even worse performance (even though it will be utilizing much more hardware, it will still achieve a worse result).

Well, so much for me playing SSE, lol. The main reason I was excited was because (modded) Skyrim would be joining normal performance levels for modern games. If not, I'm afraid there is not much for me to be excited about. I suppose it will be more stable. There is that.

Well, it's slower and faster at the same time. Which sounds weird, but that is how computers work for most things.

Hard drives move data faster than SSDs, but we say SSDs are faster because they move lots more data at once. Think of it like a driving 50 kids to school, the HDD is a corvette and the SSD is a school bus. Time to interface for every generation of RAM is getting exponentially slower, but we have faster clock speeds and newer RAM bursting methods that speed it up in other ways, so we say it's faster. Even when dual core CPUs came out they were clocked much lower than single core CPUs for heat concerns, but they did more work regardless, so we said they were faster. 

64-bit applications can do similar things, like any other technology, and use more resources that are available to them to appear faster when really they are just doing much more work at the same or slower speed. Also, your hardware/drivers/OS have a butt load of stuff built in to help the applications along. I'd be surprised if Skyrim runs worse with this update (after Beth issues a few patches of course).

That guy is such a snake. If it turns out that means only basic mods mods will work at launch he'll go "I didn't imply they would, you read too much into it!" Ugh.

That guy is such a snake. If it turns out that means only basic mods mods will work at launch he'll go "I didn't imply they would, you read too much into it!" Ugh.

To be fair, it is kind of his job to provide information without letting it be misinterpreted, so to call him a snake is a bit harsh.

Edited by MonoAccipiter

To be fair, it is kind of his job to provide information without letting it be misinterpreted, so to call him a snake is a bit harsh.

Well I'd agree if he did that:

https://gamingbolt.com/pete-hines-talks-about-frame-rate-drops-in-fallout-4-on-ps4

https://gamingbolt.com/pete-hines-under-fire-from-fallout-4-fans-accused-of-not-caring-about-the-lore

Let's not forget he also called J. Sawyer a liar about the problems with the engine and that the PS3 version of Skyrim had no problems.

This guy is a ass-hat and needs to learn to shut up. If he wants to sell shoddy products he should just zip it or do the right thing and not lie in the first place. He could at least act interested or offer to remedy the problems, but most of the time he ends up on the wrong side of people due to his attitude.

Edited by Guest

Well I'd agree if he did that:

https://gamingbolt.com/pete-hines-talks-about-frame-rate-drops-in-fallout-4-on-ps4

https://gamingbolt.com/pete-hines-under-fire-from-fallout-4-fans-accused-of-not-caring-about-the-lore

Let's not forget he also called J. Sawyer a liar about the problems with the engine and that the PS3 version of Skyrim had no problems.

This guy is a ass-hat and needs to learn to shut up. If he wants to sell shoddy products he should just zip it or do the right thing and not lie in the first place. He could at least act interested or offer to remedy the problems, but most of the time he ends up on the wrong side of people due to his attitude.

Well the first one I had not heard of, but the second one I was around for and in all honestly I cannot see how you lay that at his feet. In all honesty it left me more disappointed with the design philosophy of Bethesda, which he honestly had no choice but to support. After all, what better answer could he have given if the people who wrote the quest didn't care? I for one, would not have been satisfied with some ad-hoc lie. The unquoted ones I've never heard of either, but I guess you're right if they're true. To label Bethesda games as shoddy products also seems kinda bitter, as they usually achieve exactly what the want to achieve. I might not agree with the direction they've taken their products, but it seems to work for most people.

After all, what better answer could he have given if the people who wrote the quest didn't care?

Nothing or "I'll see about asking the designers" even if anything never comes of the latter.

To label Bethesda games as shoddy products also seems kinda bitter.

It seems kind of correct in the instance we were talking about at least. If he doesn't know what he is talking about, then again, he should just not open his mouth. He honestly reminds me of Randy Pitchford.