Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Frequently Asked Questions

Guide Link 

There are a few questions that keep resurfacing in the forums, which aren't always easy to address through the guide. Hence I have been thinking about making this FAQ for a while and thought I could at least start with a few of the questions that I can recall of the top of my head. I have them sorted alphabetically for now, but that might change if this grows.

Fear & Loathing - Frequently Asked Questions

In what order and at what levels do you recommend doing the DLCs?

I recommend doing Honest Hearts first -> then Old World Blues (15+) -> then Dead Money (20+) -> then Lonesome Road (25+). That way you get to follow in the footsteps of the recurring characters. They're tough though so no need to do them exactly at those levels. 

I ran FNVLODGen and now my game launches with a pink screen. What to do?

Try disabling and re-enabling Automatic Archive Invalidation in MO's Profiles menu, launching the game in-between the changes.

​​​​​Is Advanced Recon Tech.esp purposely left out of the Advanced Recon Merge? 

Yes. Advanced Recon Patches.esp replaces Advanced Recon Tech.esp.

Should I clean the DLC?

No need. YUP deals with all the issues caused by those ITMs.

Why does the Prototype Ranger Combat Armor/Defaced Ranger Armor have no legs? (ADAM)

Those armors use the ArmorAddon02 slot to equip different pants onto their new meshes through hard-coded scripts, and hence the legs won't equip if you already have something using those slots equipped (like the Flashlight Belt from Flashlight NVSE).

Hopefully this will prove useful for someone. More stuff will be added as people keep asking questions, which they definitely should. Discussion in this thread should be about the answers (e.g. if someone disagrees with what order the DLCs should be played in).

Edited by MonoAccipiter
  • +1 1

Nice idea Mono.

Just want to do a suggestion regarding Advanced Recon Tech.esp.

Why don't add a little note directly to the guide regarding, that the Tech.esp isn't necessary. Not everybody looks here in the forum.

A little note, at point 3 in the guide, right beneath the list of .esp, which are going to be merged.

(3.) Hold ctrl and click every plugin listed below:

20px-Info-Logo.png      Notice:If the plugins are contiguous hold shift and click the first then the last.
  • Advanced Recon Gear.esp
  • Advanced Recon Armor.esp
  • Detect Traps - Perk.esp
  • Detect Traps - Traponator 4000.esp
  • Advanced Recon Range Finder.esp
  • Advanced Recon Patches.esp

And right here something like:

Note: Advanced Recon Tech.esp is purposely left out. It will be replaced by Advanced Recon Patches.esp

This way you got this directly in the guide and users don't have to wonder themselves (like I did at this point back then)

You are right. I will change it, this just seemed like a simple way to fix it given how little time I have had for this lately. I would like to point out that most people that ask for help do look in the forum though, hence this will expectedly help keep the same questions from popping up all the time.

• 8 months later...

What's the difference between "SRB's F&L" and "Mono's F&L - Wasteland Edition"? Just discovered two pages after looking through the Lore Friendly Equipment guide. I'm a little confused as to which guide I should use to start modding. Thanks.

Edited by FuzzRocket9

What's the difference between "SRB's F&L" and "Mono's F&L - Wasteland Edition"? Just discovered two pages after looking through the Lore Friendly Equipment guide. I'm a little confused as to which guide I should use to start modding. Thanks.

Mono's F&L fork removes some less lore-friendly mods, like Dragonskin Tactical Outfit or lesser quality mods, like the Recon Stealth Armors.

Just have a look at his Post https://forum.step-project.com/topic/4727-fear-and-loathing-in-new-vegas-feedback/page-290?do=findComment&comment=191423

• 1 month later...

Hello friends.  I'm struggling to interpret this sentence regarding UIO at the beginning of the UI section:  

UI Organizer (UIO) is a NVSE plugin that allows UI mods to be installed and uninstalled without having to worry if they have UI elements. If following this guide, it is required to be installed and activated in order for the mods included in this section to play nicely with each other when running the game. It is installed at the end of the section.

Do I install UIO first or last after Flashlightnvse?

Thank you for this very ambitious and intricate mod setup.  It's my first venture into modding NV so it's a welcome challenge and challenging, it is :-]

"FINISH...THE F*CKING STORY MAN! What happened? What about the glands?"

Hello friends.  I'm struggling to interpret this sentence regarding UIO at the beginning of the UI section:  

UI Organizer (UIO) is a NVSE plugin that allows UI mods to be installed and uninstalled without having to worry if they have UI elements. If following this guide, it is required to be installed and activated in order for the mods included in this section to play nicely with each other when running the game. It is installed at the end of the section.

Do I install UIO first or last after Flashlightnvse?

Thank you for this very ambitious and intricate mod setup.  It's my first venture into modding NV so it's a welcome challenge and challenging, it is :-]

"FINISH...THE F*CKING STORY MAN! What happened? What about the glands?"

UIO can be installed anytime. THe guide is fine right now, I changed it and didn't update that little bit.