Skyrim Remastered =D

I'm very happy with my current Skyrim setup using SRLE + SRLExt and don't really have a need for the remastered version.

My question is, would we be able to have 2 Skyrim installs in one PC in order to test the new remastered version without messing up the current modded version?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would assume two installs would work fine.  Specifically if it's via steam, then chances are the remastered version will have it's own install directory etc.  I currently have SRLE install I was mucking with but between that, my additional mods and wanting even better textures...MEH...the skyrim engine needs help and I am very hopeful this will be a good thing.  Specifically the CRAZY 4GB memory limit under Windows 10 with DX 9 kills any hope I have for crazy textures and Dyndolod ;)

I hope that basically means just "yes" lol = ) Thank you for the response. Puts me at ease at least a little bit. 

Well no matter what the answer wouldn't be a simple "yes". SKSE needs updating, and who knows if SKSE's API will need to be changed when the new version comes out. Bethesda is probably uninterested in making predictions on SKSE development. Besides, SKSE mods won't be compatible with the console. Either way, it's a caveat that they'd need to mention.

Then there's things like the new snow particle effects (which makes eg Vivid Weathers, Better Dynamic Snow, and more thematically or literally incompatible), and the new water shader (water mods would definitely need an update, even if it's just stylistic changes). Not to mention the various SKSE and ENB memory tweaks, and the ENB presets themselves.

For all I know the "basically" is far worse than I've stated, I just think it's worth pointing out why they'd be hesistant to just give a blanket "yes it'll all work".

As Arthmoor said, I doubt they made things incompatible deliberately, especially as that would mean more work for them. Changing the ESP record structure would require remaking the official ESPs, changing BSAs or NIFs would require remaking/repackaging vanilla assets, etc. I keep reading people worrying that everything has been remade for the Fallout 4 engine but I find it unlikely that they'd make that much extra work for themselves.

Edited by Harpalus

Yeah, they'd be crazy to just say "yes".

I'm sure that it will require some work on specific mod authors parts I just hope that it doesn't require lots of work on all mod authors parts.

I've just started creating my own mods for the first time that I plan to upload one day and now I feel hesitant as I don't know how this will effect mods created with the creation kit that is now available. I started working on mods maybe a month ago and am just now comfortable to put a lot of effort into something.. but now.... lol ...my comfort level has retreated. I'm curious as to whether or not an entirely new creation kit would need to be used. As Arthmoor was quoted above (and it makes sense) this will probably not be the case but I'd hate to pour 100's of hours into something that will need to be redone. 

Great responses everyone! So as of now, it seems that Skyrim modded with this guide (and the Extended version of this guide which is awesome as well) will definitely be a better choice. I just wish that mods were flexible enough to transfer to a 64-bit version of the game, which would mean ENB and SKSE would need to be reworked. I could care less about the graphics upgrade now; I just wish that we could get that 64-bit edition without relearning everything we have learned since 2011. No more memory issues and much higher stability sounds so great...oh well.

Yeah, they'd be crazy to just say "yes".

I'm sure that it will require some work on specific mod authors parts I just hope that it doesn't require lots of work on all mod authors parts.

I've just started creating my own mods for the first time that I plan to upload one day and now I feel hesitant as I don't know how this will effect mods created with the creation kit that is now available. I started working on mods maybe a month ago and am just now comfortable to put a lot of effort into something.. but now.... lol ...my comfort level has retreated. I'm curious as to whether or not an entirely new creation kit would need to be used. As Arthmoor was quoted above (and it makes sense) this will probably not be the case but I'd hate to pour 100's of hours into something that will need to be redone. 

I assume you're referring to the GamerPoet's Guide to Creation Kit and Modding? :teehee:

Oh I didn't know it was also going to include a 64bit version.  I never would've thought it would be possible.  The question is really is.  Are alot of mods going to need update which I pretty sure its going to be the case?  I dunno if most of the mod authors are going to use the free upgrade for PC version since they might seemed fine with what they already have.  I think around Oct its going to make these guides to be put on hold til most of the mods get updated.  I am excited about this of course but I am a bit concern that this will be difficult to fix alot of mods plus cause guides like these to be put on halt.  Well even though I building my computer early next year, this will be interesting how this turns out for us.

Honestly I have mixed feelings.  Yes I am happy for the "Remastered" version of Skyrim 64bit(maybe, i dunno) version.   This is just so unexpected for me tbh.

Edited by nappilydeestruction

Honestly I have mixed feelings.  Yes I am happy for the "Remastered" version of Skyrim 64bit(maybe, i dunno) version.  But at the same time I worried that some of my favorite mods will not work with the remastered version.  This is just so unexpected for me tbh.

Hey, completely unrelated question, I see that you are researching for a build (or at least were.) Have you compiled something that is compatible and suits your needs or are you still in the process of gathering info about what you want?

Also, back to the point, I feel the same way. Many mods will be broken and will need to be updated. Also, SKSE and ENB will need to be updated. Not worth it imo, unless you learn your way around the CK (which they are probably releasing a new+ improved one) then you can learn how to port mods and make them compatible with 64 bit.

Hey, completely unrelated question, I see that you are researching for a build (or at least were.) Have you compiled something that is compatible and suits your needs or are you still in the process of gathering info about what you want?

Also, back to the point, I feel the same way. Many mods will be broken and will need to be updated. Also, SKSE and ENB will need to be updated. Not worth it imo, unless you learn your way around the CK (which they are probably releasing a new+ improved one) then you can learn how to port mods and make them compatible with 64 bit.

Well since early this year I was hoping on building my PC build this summer using R9 390 card but since both Nvidia and AMD are coming out with new stuff, I decided to wait a bit.  I'm more interested in the "Vega" series from AMD tbh.  So my build is still WIP for now til next year.  Hopefully this "Vega" series will be good.

Sorry for adding that small paragraph portion, I put it on another thread but since I just found this thread I decided to put that info here. 

Yea I mean I will learn CK anyways since after I will build my new PC I will work on some mods of my own.  I have many new mod ideas that I want to upload and share to others.  I'm also going to learn some 3d modeling and nifscope while learning about CK.  Its going to be challenging not just for making my own mods, but of making an updated version of the mod (our current mods that won't work on the new remastered version.)  So yea its scary thinking about these things.

Edited by nappilydeestruction

lol = ) Those are some of the guides.... All of the guides that I have already uploaded and those to come. DynDOLOD, SKSE, Merge Plugins, Dual Sheath Redux, FNIS (uploading this coming weekend hopefully).. and I was getting ready to do an all-in-one Mod Organizer (1) guide but that almost seems pointless to think about now (until we see how everything pans out and what direction everyone goes).

New things should mean more "work" and more viewers for a youtube channel but I was really excited to try to create a large set of tutorial videos for mod users (and eventually creators lol) which I started 6 months ago. Now putting 100 to 200 hours into almost every video (the entire process) I don't know what to think between now and the new year. Lot's to think about it...

Edit: also, seeing mod authors pull mods from games like new vegas (and FO4 obviously) because of the "stuff" that was going on with FO4... how many mod authors are going to start pulling their Skyrim mods if people start stealing and uploading their mods to Beth.net? .. and how many "old" mods that are complete but no longer being supported are going to be lost in transition?

The game itself being upgraded could be a very cool thing. But at least for a while it's going to cause all kinds of grief to a great deal of people at all ends of the community. Hopefully a time period that isn't too long.

I've read a lot about this and now I find myself venting lol but the truth is no one is going to know what happens until the remastered version is released and yes, everyone in the community can adapt but how many hours will a good deal of people lose in the process? .. and how many will feel that the time it takes to adjust just isn't worth it?... we shall see =)

I know the videos you've done so far are outstanding and I'm looking forward to more of them in the future. I'm optimistically hopeful that the revamped Skyrim will offer a lot of new opportunities for mods, but I imagine a lot of people are sitting on the fence waiting to see how this pans out. The big question in my mind is whether the new Creation Kit (assuming we get a new Creation Kit) will be more reliable and stable than the existing version. I can only hope.

Yeah, that is right, Neo. I forgot about that. Man, I hope Tannin doesn't get too stressed out! We will need some way of managing these mods, and MO is the best of the bunch. Of course, with no more BSA extraction, modlist strategies may have to shift.

Can you please clarify your statement regarding BSA extraction? Have I missed something and this process has been changed with relation to MO and SR:LE (or in general)? Cheers!