This OP has been edited to reflect the current implementation. Originally, it read something like "all post editing has been disabled for Members" ... which is why there is some negative banter in the posts below before updating this OP. -z929669
After some consideration we have made two changes to the forums which affects most members.
This effects only standard forum members. Members belonging to all other forum groups (Mod Authors, Pack Authors, Contributors, Mod Testers, etc.) can still edit their posts indefinitely, since these group members have need to contribute at a higher level than standard members (i.e., modify topic OP, post/edit screenshots, update links/attachments, etc.).
We have updated the post-edit feature as it applies to standard forum Members, which is the majority of the users. Standard forum Members are only able to edit their posts for up to 15 minutes after posting. Subsequent to 15 minutes from time of post, most members will no longer be able to edit their posts.
Reasons for this change:
- Maintaining thread continuity - On multiple occasions, multiple members have removed post content relevant to the entire post topic, often removing the entire post's content. This breaks topic continuity, particularly when the original post is commented later in the topic.
- Encourage more thoughtful posting - Hopefully, posters will be more thoughtful and careful about their posts if the ability to edit is limited. Please use the "Preview Post" editor feature before posting.
Members in good standing that want the ability to edit their posts indefinitely can PM any of the site staff to request elevation. We will also make exceptions at our discretion on a case-by-case basis.
The second change is to the Reputation System used on the forums. For those that don't know what this is, it's the green and red up and down arrows you've seen on the posts. We have moved to a postitive-only reputation system. Yes, negative rep points are now gone. If you have a negative reputation, please contact a STEP Staff or Admin so that we may reset your points. All forum members are limited to 30 positive reputation points per 24-hour period to discourage rep 'spamming'.
Reasons for this change:
- Reputation 'spamming' - Particularly with regard to negative rep, on multiple occasions, multiple members have read through a thread and given a rep point to ALL posts made by a particular member in that thread. We think this is abusive.
- Maintenance reduction - Eliminating the negative points will help reduce necessary moderation and frees up the staff for more important tasks.
- Reduces animosity - STEP attempts to promote harmonious relationships amongst our members. We have noticed when members receive negative reputation points, their reaction is almost always unpleasant. If you disagree with someone, you will have to post your disagreement rather than pressing a button (forum posting rules still apply).
So there you have it. Feel free to discuss the changes below. We always welcome feedback from the community!