Errors, Glitches, CTDs etc in Clear & Present Danger (Fallout 3)

so I've finally gotten some time to play/test my install of Clear and Present Dangers and these are my observations:

• In Springvale there is a brainjaw at the gaspump with OP (for level 1 at least) weapons in it. The 2 shotguns makes you crash to desktop should you try to use them. This brainjaw are supposedly from the mod RH_Ironsights.
  • In Springvale is a sewer grate with entrance to Springvale Sewers - most likely an addition from the mod "A World of Pain". CTD when trying to enter the sewer.

I'll update the thread/post as I encounter more.

Edited by JUNKdeLUXE

after a few days trial and error with crashes, CTDs, lagspikes etc when either entering or leaving areas, fast traveling, using different weapons or just because the game decided it, missing icons for (albeit only a few so far) items and so on, I've come to the conclusion that one or all of these thing are true:

1. Fallout 3 and Windows 10, 64 bit (and multi core) will not work together and probably never will as most development has moved on to newer things
  2. I have done something wrong when following the guide
  3. The guide - in it's current rendition - does not result in a stable game and/or I'm a victim of "multiple choices" install. The guide as presented is not uniform and some places it's up to the user to choose what to do (eg. bashtags LOOT vs xEdit script etc) or the the answer is not provided (eg. leveled lists after bashed patch). In the few places the choice is up to the user, I might have chosen the path that resulted in an unplayable game.

Kelmych, if you'd like for me to not uninstall Fallout 3 this weekend (if you want me to test stuff and seeing if we can make the guide better) please give me a holler. If I haven't heard from you come Monday, I'm gonna see how Fallout New Vegas treats me.

I installed the mods in the guide with Windows 8.1. I did not install all the optional mods, but I did install most of them. I did not use fast travel since, as mentioned in the guide, it is can cause problems unless used quite infrequently. Fast travel causes problems in all the Bethesda games. I did not have any significant problems with CTDs. I don't know about Windows 10 effects. Other users have installed the game with Windows 10 and they have not reported the same in game problems you did. The Fallout 3 engine is certainly less robust with Windows 10 than with previous versions. I'll be installing Win 10 very soon and I'll have a better idea of what it affects.

The container in Springvale has been reported in the forums. At least one of the TWPC patches removes it (the largest one), and I also thought it was mentioned in the guide. I initially installed with only the bash tags for major mods like FWE using the tags in LOOT. There aren't compatibility problems with most of the mods in the guide; they don't affect other mods at all. In my games I don't expect to get all the compatibility problems fixed; it would be much too time consuming. I live with some compatibility problems like a few incorrect item stats but not with problems that cause CTDs

I didn't test AWOP myself, but several forum users reported they used it and did not have problems.

The installation instructions that allow options should not affect CTDs or similar problems as the choices provide very small changes. For any mod that isn't labelled optional I have tried the options in the guide.

I'll look at the CTDs you saw and see if I get them also.

A lot of users were interested in Fallout 3 to play before Fallout 4. Now that this has past there aren't as many users trying out the mods, finding problems, and creating patches.

Regarding the container in Springvale:

I did NOT install the STEP patch from TWPC as it requires 20th Century Weapons (Which I did not install as it was optional). Maybe the TWPC Step patch is just super important, and thus I HAVE to install 20th Century Weapons?!?

Regarding fast travel:

I don't expect 100% reliability on this, but I do expect that I will be able to do it. There is not way I'm going to be 'footing' it all around in games as big as Fallout or Skyrim.

Edited by JUNKdeLUXE

Unfortunately fast travel can break scripts (including vanilla scripts), and using it on a regular basis (e.g., once every few missions) can often cause CTDs later in the game. The approach some users want to use of going on a mission, getting a lot of loot, and them frequently using fast travel to a home base increases the likelihood of instability. If fast travel is used regularly the list of mods with large scripts used may need to be decreased noticeably. This is true in any Bethesda game. It is even more problematic in Skyrim, which has many mods with extensive scripts, than in Fallout 3/NV.

You don't have to install the TWPC patch, which was built based on the mods in this guide. There was a limit to how many optional patches were included. Currently, however, there aren't any other available patches that remove the container you mention. In my game before patching it I just ignored the container; I don't consider this a significant problem. FO3edit can be used to delete the container object.

Seems Clear and Present Danger is not for me then.. that sucks (lots of time wasted), but that's how it is.

In regards to Skyrim and fast travel I can't say I've had any problems so far (400+ hours) in my SR:LE + Legacy of the Dragonborn + Misc, but they might show up eventually. At that time though I'm ready for Skyrim 64bit :P

I don't mind exploring.. not at all as I love discovering new locations. But there is no way in hell i'm gonna run/ride even a fraction of the distance from Solitude to Riften.

Edited by JUNKdeLUXE

This is a really long shot in the dark as it looks like you followed the guide very closely......

Did you install New Vegas Anti Crash and change the folder name to FOSE? Re-naming NVSE to FOSE is an important step. My experience is the game is very unstable with AWOP and MMM unless New Vegas Anti Crash is installed.

I think you installed NVAC correctly, but if you still have the game installed and want to check, you can confirm by launching LOOT through Mod Organizer.

If NVAC is installed properly LOOT will report the following:

"Your NVAC - New Vegas Anti Crash is up-to-date."

LOOT will report this if the folder was not renamed:

"NVAC is installed under "NVSE\Plugins" but needs to be moved to "FOSE\Plugins" for FOSE to pick it up for Fallout 3."