Help with DynDOLOD PLEASE!!!!!

WhyteOne

Question

Ok, i am new to this whole STEP install.  I have installed all the green core mods and several of the extra noncore mods.  Can this step be finished without doing the nightmare Dyndolod install....the final step before checking the meta settings?  I am very unsure of this install procedure and the "detailed instructions" are not very clear on some points.  Really need some help here!!!!

15 answers to this question

DynDOLOD is a fairly important piece of the STEP guide. I'm sure you can do it, though! The instructions can look intimidating, but DynDOLOD really isn't that bad.

I would suggest looking at the screenshots provided for each step alongside the instructions. There is also a great video by GamerPoets about DynDOLOD install and generation as well.

If there is a particular part of the instructions you are stuck on, let us know, and hopefully we can clarify it. :-)

yeah watching it now....but i just have another question please....is the bash program actually needed?  I dont understand its function.  The guide just tells you to install it and later at the end update its patch.  i do not understand this need.  sorry i just see the need for it...what am i missing in understanding its nee?d

The bashed patch patches together the leveled lists from various mods. This is one of the steps necessary to resolve conflicts between mods, so that you can have all the mods function correctly together.

Every step in STEP is important... If you miss one of the early steps in setting up your system and the game, you are really messed up from the start. Then, many of the mods in the list are required for the STEP patches. All the mods in the Patch section are required. The texture mods are meant to compliment each other. Etc.

It is a guide that is meant to function 100% if you follow it from top to bottom. Otherwise, you really have to know what you are doing to get it to work right.

Every mod in STEP Core is required. If doing most of STEP Extended anyway, consider this list which gives provides eligibility for the STEP Extended patch.

GREAT...Just f-ing great!!!!!!  I installed it but had not done the patch part as it so flipping ...i think i am just going uninstall it all and go with vanilla.  this "you need this extra  mod organizer type program and all of its extra work is just ridiculous.  everyone i know who plays this raves about the STEP guide, but i fail to see how it is that great when there is so much BS you have to go through. Can i stop the lod part and do the bash patch  and then do the lod part again.  i have just started the thing.?!? 

There is no need to get angry, man. Either uninstall STEP, or stick with it. ;-)

It may seem like a pain in the ass for nothing, but a lot of these steps are a huge help to stability.

You can finish DynDOLOD and do the Bashed Patch after, or you can quit and restart it, it doesn't really matter.

Sorry...thanks for your help.  I was rereading some of the detailed instructions and saw that lod could be done and then i could do the patch part.  just been working on this for a few hours and afraid i had wasted alot of time and effort for nothing.....but is all good now ...i hope.  lod is running and hopefully i get no errors.  thanks again.  one more quick question please. If i install mods that effect the way characters look ....like CBBE or UNP (probably CBBE) the only thing i will need to rerun would be FNIS as these mods have no effect on LOD or Bash patch...correct?  sorry, just dont want to mess up now....lol  thank you again!!!!!

Well, if you added items like armors for CBBE you would have to rerun the Bashed Patch. DynDOLOD should be fine, I think.

Personally, when I add a bunch of mods I always rerun all four including DSR (checking to see if there are any new DSR patches I need). Takes less than an hour, and I don't have to worry if anything got screwed up.

ok ...all four...you mean FNIS, DynDolod, Bash Patch, and Duel sheath redo patch?  correct?  i see the point of this.  I think all is well so far.  going to test run the game now.  Thanks for your help.  

oh yeah i almost forgot..i tried to setup the duel sheath redo but it said it could not use my java because it was 64 bit.  can i install a 32 bit version as well or do i need to remove the 64 bit first then try installing the 32 bit?  I can rerun the other three when this is done, but all else is done.

That is OK.  Everything seems to be running BEAUTIFULLY!!!!!  The game looks incredible.  Now i can play and get some great screen shots.  I have been wanting to do a YouTube play through series for a while.  Now i just want to add in some better female stuffs and i will be set.  thanks again!!!!

One last question i promise.  I made anote about "trade and barter".  I get the enable .esp but i do not understand "do not click "start mod" in the MCM options".  I watched the video tagged in the details, but he never says anything about not starting a mod in MCM.  does the no start mean the thing he shows about turning warnings off?  sorry that is my last note to myself because this is very unclear to me.  that is supriseing to me as i am subscribed to him because he has some great skyrim mod and mod organizer tutorials. 

Trade and Barter is used to fix an issue with Investor Perk. I think Kryptopy explains it better than I can, so this from the sticky post in the Trace and Barter mod page on Nexus:

For those wondering about the STEP recommendations to install this mod but not start it in the MCM menu, this is because the intention of STEP is not to alter the gameplay of vanilla Skyrim beyond what is considered to be essential bug fixes. Therefore, for the purposes of STEP, only the automatic fixes are recommended. If you like having the extra options, then there is nothing wrong with activating the mod and using the additional MCM options. It's perfectly compatible and will work fine with STEP; those gameplay changes just don't happen to fall within the STEP mandate.

The fixes all involve the way the Investor Perk works. There were a number of merchants that were using the same investor container, or they were set up so that investing in one merchant would actually increase the gold with a different shop. For example, you could not properly invest in the Khajiit caravans and the Drunken Huntsman; both of these merchants were instead tied to Belethor's shop.

Edit: Just to be perfectly clear, Trade and Barter is an excellent mod. The only reason STEP does not recommend starting the mod from the MCM menu is because these changes deviate from vanilla gameplay and the STEP mandate STEP Core is to keep the game as close to vanilla as possible. The point is that this is a recommendation to keep vanilla gameplay mechanics so the choice is ultimately yours depending on whether you want to keep the vanilla gameplay mechanics or to use the gamplay changes in Trade and Barter.