SRLE Extended: Legacy of The Dragonborn

I'm sorry for stirring this subject, but I remember at some point all of Arthmoor's mods had a warning about not unpacking their bsa's. Since I've known him to defend leaving bsa's alone in the past, I imagined there was some ongoing discussion with him on this subject. If so, I'm assuming that the outcome was that it's ok to unpack those bsa's since the warning has been removed.

If you guys allow me a few lines of "hate speech", I'm hugely frustrated with undeath and the way it's built. The fact that I chose not to kill the priest of Arkay means that I now have THREE bloody quests forever hanging in my journal, "Arkay the Enemy" itself which halts instead of completing, "Lost Knowledge" because I need the damned priest's heart to proceed (which, by the way, I know because I read some spoilers because no clue is given and if you don't get the guy's heart, you'll be wondering forever where the barrow is) and an associated quest in the miscellaneous section that also requires me to find the black book. This is no way to tie things up... I also don't like the way the Lost Knowledge quest is proposed by Neloth but no clue is given as to how to find the book's location, you don't even know it's related to undeath (unless you look for it using xedit). The quest just hangs there until you progess with undeath's main quest line... Or not, in which case you'll be forever wondering where the damned barrow is. Kinda irritating. The reason I post this here is because undeath stands out as less tied up than all other quests included in this guide and given the sheer amount of patches it needs, I wonder if the gameplay and legacy items are worth the bother. At the moment I'm wondering whether to install it or not on my next playthrough. It's true, even the main game has this kind of thing (like you need to kill grelod the kind first, then have a sudden burst of conscience and decide to finish off the dark brotherhood, otherwise you'll have the quest hanging in your journal forever). Still, it's irritating!

Edited by godescalcus

well godescalcus the whole BSA Thing has been discussed to death at the end of the day do what you want. just remember some files will need to be removed and they might be inside BSAs

As for Undeath, I confess I have never actaully played the mod and it was only included because when I created the guide people moaned at me that it wasn't included.

Edit: Spelling failing me tonight.

Edited by Darth_mathias

Since when has the warning about Arthmoor's Mods BSA's not being unpacked been removed? I can distinctly see that it's still there at the start of Arthmoor's Villages additions.

Anyway, as Darth says above Pack or Unpack has been done to death and I'm not going to argue the point on it now. I've had more issues with leaving them packed, so you know where I stand.

As for updates, yes, I'm aware a ton's been updated. The new version of Farmhouse Chimneys is going to require a few changes cause it assumes ALL of Arthmoor's Village mods are installed. If they're not you cant use the merged ESP patch file, but have to use discrete ones and do your own merge. Cause we don't use Dragon Bridge, this is going to mean work. 

I probably won't do much with updating the guide until all the LOTD patches have matured and it's all looking stable.

Godescalus, you can probably kill those unfinished quests with some judicious console commands.

Edited by Nozzer66

well godescalcus the whole BSA Thing has been discussed to death at the end of the day do what you want. just remember some files will need to be removed and they might be inside BSAs

As for Undeath, I confess I have never actaully played the mod and it was only included because when I created the guide people moaned at me that it wasn't included.

Edit: Spelling failing me tonight.

Again, sorry about bringing it up, it's just one of those subjects. I'm doing exactly as the guide says, keep them when you mention it, unpack as a general rule. I know undeath has legions of fans, and it must be fun and all but lichdom doesn't really make my thing (whereas shell picking and fossil mining does LOL), so I gained some room for more gameplay ;) and replaced it with BS: Bruma and Beyond Reach, both of which are integrated into Legacy. I've tested BS: Bruma extensively without a single issue in my previous build. Great mod, no matter the whopping 2.6 Gb. Beyond Reach did give me some trouble with Dyndolod, so I didn't have it in my previous build but I'll give it another shot. I'm going to try and put in everything that Legacy can integrate. If some of those mods have been tested by you guys and found lacking of interest or buggy, I welcome any advise.

It's more that things like Bruma and Beyond Reach are not only quite large in physical size but also in scope. Thus they'd need a bit of work to make fit with what we already have play wise.

Sure they're great mods, and I'd be happy to have them in, but there's a tipping point as to how meta or mega we want to go. Glad you have them in and looking good. Maybe you can be somewhat of our test mule on them and see how they work?

Edited by Nozzer66

Since when has the warning about Arthmoor's Mods BSA's not being unpacked been removed?

They haven't, my bad because to this day I always thought MaS was Arth's. Why? I don't know! So forget all about the bsa's, it's a closed subject to me as well.

I'm testing a lot of those LOTD patches and integrated quests that are not in the guide, if you want I can leave some feedback. Already mentioned that BS:Bruma worked like a charm in my previous playthrough, zero crashes, stable fps, quests are well integrated, looks a lot like an official DLC.

As for Undeath, I agree and I will eventually "kill" the hanging quests that way (but the black book will always be absent from my museum, even though it's not really a part of the quest line that I chose not to follow - unless of course I COC to the barrow and see if I can fetch it LOL. I am a console guy, no shame to admit it)...

Regarding the updates, I won't bring those up either because they are piling up, seems like people have come back en masse to modding oldrim this summer, and mentioning every instance does get repetitive and probably won't help much.

It's more that things like Bruma and Beyond Reach are not only quite large in physical size but also in scope. Thus they'd need a bit of work to make fit with what we already have play wise.

Sure they're great mods, and I'd be happy to have them in, but there's a tipping point as to how meta or mega we want to go. Glad you have them in and looking good. Maybe you can be somewhat of our test mule on them and see how they work?

With pleasure LOL

And I agree that gamewise this build IS huge already. It's really LOTD and its building/adding features that make you still want to go to a completely new place and fetch more relics even well over 100 hours of play.

With respect to Bruma, the thing is comparable to Falskaar and not at all as large as the Dragonborn dlc, yet (but it's a work in progress, so who knows where it will stop?). I'm anxious to see LOTD taking advantage of new ancient cultures like the ayleid... They might send you after the lost journals of Umbacanno the Collector and a trail of treasures thereafter.

Sorry for more questions. Under FNIS, the guides says 

Mod Organizer has automatically placed the generated files into the <Mod Organizer Path>/overwrite folder for inclusion in the game. No further action is required.

But I have this "Generate FNIS for users" thing it created. Do I run that or not??

Also, under mod merges It says to put tags

DELEV

INVENT
NAMES
RELEV

on the CACO merge, but at the end of the guide with Wyre Bash, It says use tags

DELEV,

RELEV

Which is right? Or am I confusing something

Thanks again

DELEV, RELEV Edited by Jabrute

Sorry for more questions. Under FNIS, the guides says 

Mod Organizer has automatically placed the generated files into the <Mod Organizer Path>/overwrite folder for inclusion in the game. No further action is required.

But I have this "Generate FNIS for users" thing it created. Do I run that or not??

There is one further action required, you need to make sure that the only thing in your overwrite folder is that which was generated by FNIS. Being the case, you right click on the "overwrite" gray line down at the bottom of your left pane list in mod organizer and select "create mod", name it something like "FNIS output", leave it down at the bottom of the list and activate it. That is what is meant with "for inclusion in the game" ;) After that, every time you run FNIS with mod organizer, new files will be put into your overwrites folder. Just double-click the "overwrite" gray line to open its contents and drag them into the "FNIS output" mod that you created with the first run. Allow them to overwrite the existing files.

If you weren't using mod organizer, FNIS would just put its files into the game's Data folder. By using the procedure above, you're replicating this in mod organizer's virtual file system (because the mods listed in your left pane are actually folders inside mod organizer and the files contained in those folders will populate the virtual Data folder). Again, if not using mod organizer, FNIS would simply overwrite the previous files each time you ran it. Using mod organizer, all files changed or generated during the run of any program inside MO are sent to the overwrites folder, allowing you to move them in such a way as to keep things organized (even if it's just to overwrite the previous files, you're given the choice of what to do).

You could just leave the files in the overwrites folder forever, they WILL be used in the game, but if you do so you won't prevent them being overwritten the next time you run the application from mod organizer. If you want to maintain control over what's included in your game, you need to keep the overwrites folder empty and that's why mod organizer flashes a warning if you have files inside it.

Sorry I can't add much to the bash tags question.

Edited by godescalcus

Regarding bashed tags, in Essarbee's guide to fallout NV there's this section about generating bashed tags with xEdit for each and every mod.

Generate Bash Tags

The purpose of this process is to analyze plugins and recognize the correct bash tags to apply to them. This is a tedious process that involves running a script on all non-vanilla plugins that have been installed, but it is necessary in order to allow a vital patch called a bashed patch to properly combine records from all installed plugins that can benefit from being in that patch.

1. Go to this link here.
  2. Right click the [DOWNLOAD] button and download the "Generate Bash Tags.pas" file.
  3. Navigate to the FNVEdit\Edit Scripts folder on your computer and move the .pas file there.
  4. Open FNVEdit through MO.
  5. Right click the list of mods and choose "Select None".
  6. Scroll down past FalloutNV.esmDeadMoney.esmHonestHearts.esmOldWorldBlues.esmLonesomeRoad.esmGunRunnersArsenal.esmClassicPack.esmMercenaryPack.esmTribalPack.esm, and CaravanPack.esm (skip the vanilla files) and find the first non-vanilla plugin in the list; it will likely be YUP - Base Game + All DLC.esm.
  7. Tick that plugin (and that plugin only), then hold shift and click [OK].
  8. After FNVEdit loads, right click on the previously ticked plugin from the list on the left and select "Apply Script".
  9. From the top dropdown select Generate Bash Tags and click [OK].
  10. Click [Yes] in the popup.
  11. After the script is completed, you will see a [Apply Script done] message at the bottom of the right window panel.
  12. Close FNVEdit and save the plugin.
  13. Now repeat steps 7-12 on the next plugin in the list.
  14. Repeat the previous step until you have run the script on all the rest of the plugins in your list (shortcuts will not work - only process one plugin at a time), but don't run the script on your bashed patch if you already have one created.

Is this procedure worth considering in this guide? Will it lead to any improvement? Do the tags suggested in this guide already come from this, meaning you guys have done the "long, tedious process" and only present the cases where you need to actually add tags? If I do this, will the tags generated by xEdit override the ones I may have previously set, or just add to them?

Has anyone tested this mod: Load Game CTD Fix by Utopium. It's a recent resurrection by The Caretaker at nexus which means it was probably around for a while before its author quit. It's said to reduce CTD on load due to footik and similar issues caused by racing between multiple CPU cores. Footik was my nemesis on the previous build, meaning I was reduced to start a new game before loading any savegame because loading from the main menu almost always led to a crash. The fact that sometimes it didn't (like loading saves made in non-navmeshed cells, like the Haven Bag or Blacksmith's Basement) makes me believe that it's cause is not so much memory busting but could be what the mod author is pointing to, script racing between cores and cores trying to load stuff that other cores haven't yet had the time to crunch. The mod works around this by simply allowing only one core to work on loading savegames, which will probably mean longer load times - but that's preferable to crashing and having to double-load next.