Mod Organizer fails load the right crafting menu

Mattchion

Question

I hate the smithing menu for skyui 5.1, so I downloaded SkyUI-Away, installed in MO, and used the filetree view to hide all menus besides craftingmenu.swf. MO claims it sees the conflict with SkyUI's menu of the same name, and that SkyUI-Away wins the conflict. I've heard from others that they managed this same procedure with no issue. Yet for me, the game always has SkyUI's smithing menu when I run it. I always start skyrim via SKSE in Mod Organizer. My mod set is virtually all step and step extended mods with slightly higher resolution settings. On top of that is only a few additional weapon, armor, and clothing mods, most of which are ones that run through Complete Crafting Overhaul. I've asked on the SkyUI page and it's been asserted that SkyUI cannot refuse to use the original crafting menu since it's a mod, so the issue is probably with Mod Organizer. How is it possible for Mod Organizer to pick a winner for a conflict correctly and then not apply it's decision at runtime?

Edit: i understand now that it was probably silly of me to think Skyui might be at fault when all it does is replace menus and add mcm, but at the time (6 am after 3 hours of fighting to make this crap stop) I was focused on the one mod and menu that was seriously hindering my experience with the game. The amount of armor and weapons in that menu when you have everything unlocked is absurdly tedious to browse through with the tabs they chose, and it lacks the gold and diamond necklace for some reason.

Edited by Mattchion

I need to sleep now. I'll try installing lal tomorrow if I have time and do a fresh save. A menu being baked into a save seems unlikely, I'd hope, but with mod set building I should use lal anyways so I can test mod sets fully a lot faster and avoid more instances of crazy flying prisoner carts.

Agreed, savegames should not have assets baked into them, but since everything else about this case is odd, why not one more thing? ::):

Well, I used LAL to start in Whiterun on a new save. It didn't help, unfortunately. If the smithing menu weren't quite so terrible I'd just live with it, but it's practically useless when you have the whole smithing tree unlocked and a few mods like Jaysus Swords and Immersive Armors thrown in for good measure. It's the one thing I can point out for certain and say "this is worse off with these great mods." Well, that and fuz ro d'oh is suspicious as the reason that npc's skip lines if I'm moving or turning while they're in mid sentence sometimes. but that's a minor annoyance.

......It was SkyUI-Away this whole time. I tried a lot of stuff, but in the end redownloaded and reinstalled the mod fresh a couple times too. Somehow the files for it aren't the original menus; they're the SkyUI 5.0 and up ones. At least as far as the craftingmenu.swf. I'm not kidding. I replaced that file with the original version, pulled from the original interface.bsa, which I extracted using MO. And now the original menu is back and skyui is warning me about it as expected. This...I suspected this but just couldn't believe it was possible. I'll try it on a non-fresh save next, but I think I found the answer already.

Edited by Mattchion

Yup, it's working in the main game too. But whichever modder(s) put all their crap in the misc category have preserved some that highly excessive scrolling. And I liked the menus for alchemy and enchanting that skyui had, admittedly. I'll try it both ways some more and just see how it goes. Thanks for you help in all this though. :)

Me too, heh. And thanks for the response on LAL. I do wonder how the files got mixed up between skyui and skyui-away though. I don't wanna accuse the mod author of derping on the latest upload of it. But I hadn't touch the mod's folder after having re-downloaded and replaced it last, until I got the original craftingmenu.swf myself and swapped out the one in the skyui-away mod.