Your documentation needs an 'idiot' editor - [SOLVED]

akmatov

Question

Working with your documentation on installing the STEP vision of how Skyrim should be improved, I'm reminded of a suggestion I read that no law should be allowed to pass unless it cleared the Council of Idiots for understandability.

Just one example is the installation of the Texture Pack Combiner in the STEP v2.2.0a Guide, which direct one to "Follow instruction on STEP Wiki".  First, the colour and underlining of STEP Wiki is the same as is used elsewhere to indicate a hot button that would reasonably take one to the pertinent information.  It isn't and doesn't.  Second, after a careful search of the STEP Wiki I could find no instructions on the installation of the Texture Pack Combiner.  Even if it turns out to be tucked in some obscure corner, it is still of no use to the novice user who can't find it.

I'm very interested in using the fruits of all the hard work you guys have done, but the documentation is often a conversation amongst yourselves and is somewhat opaque to the novice wishing to improve Skyrim.

Sharing this with you in the spirit of the wheel that never squeaks, never gets oiled.  ;)

4 answers to this question

https://wiki.step-project.com/Texture_Pack_Combiner

There is a link in the "Notes" column on the PDF that is on the same line as the mod. That colored and underline text take you directly there. :)

2.2.0b (or 2.2.1 whichever it's going to be) Guide will be directly on the Wiki. I'm not sure if a PDF version will still be provided. Please note that TPC will not be a part of the next version.

First the colour and underlining of STEP Wiki is the same as is used elsewhere to indicate a hot button that would reasonably take one to the pertinent information.  It isn't and doesn't.  Second, after a careful search of the STEP Wiki I could find no instructions on the installation of the Texture Pack Combiner.  Even if it turns out to be tucked in some obscure corner, it is still of no use to the novice user who can't find it.

It is colored and underlined because it is in fact a "hot button" and links to the page Techangel posted above (correctly according to a fresh copy of the PDF I downloaded).  I'd ask if your reader wasn't handling hyperlinks correctly but I assume you were able to click the mod links themselves?

2.2.0b (or 2.2.1 whichever it's going to be) Guide will be directly on the Wiki. I'm not sure if a PDF version will still be provided. Please note that TPC will not be a part of the next version.

I'm not sure if there will be a PDF either, there are a couple export extensions that might let us automatically generate PDFs but I haven't looked into it.

I'm not sure if there will be a PDF either, there are a couple export extensions that might let us automatically generate PDFs but I haven't looked into it.

I like the idea of the Wiki only. Some others might like the PDF, but for me it's seems like it would be easier as I wouldn't have to constantly switch between two programs. Everything is right there in the browser.

I like the idea of the Wiki only. Some others might like the PDF, but for me it's seems like it would be easier as I wouldn't have to constantly switch between two programs. Everything is right there in the browser.
I've always preferred that as well, but to each his own and if it's not a huge hassle to accommodate those who want a PDF we will.  One good thing about the PDF is that when we update it on the Nexus page everyone tracking STEP will be notified,  but we might just do a mailing list type thing instead, not sure.