OK to rename masters using xEdit?

Finloch

Question

I've just finished a new STEP Extended 2.9.2.2 installation, and now I'm adding more mods for my ideal game, including ETac, Falskaar, and Wyrmstooth.

An issue arises with ELE because the STEP Patch is dependent on ELE-Legendary.esp as a master, but my ETaC install is dependent on ELE-Legendary-fs-wt.esp.  Can I simply edit the filename of the master in the file header of the STEP Patch to match ELE-Legendary-fs-wt.esp?  Or do I need to use something the USLEEP Swap Masters script to change the masters?

I'd say I'm "adept" level with xEdit.  I've merged mods using Matortheeternals scripts in the past (I know there is a new standalone to try out).  My apologies if this kind of issue is addressed elsewhere. I did Google, search this forum and also /r/skyrimmods, but couldn't find an answer.

Many thanks!

Finloch

5 answers to this question

No, I wouldn't change the master name in the file header. I'm not sure if you can even do that, to be honest.

You should be able to download ELE 0.9.5b and install the Legendary+Falskaar+Wyrmstooth version. Having both shouldn't cause an issue if the the FormIDs match up (which I think they do, but you might want to double check). Just have them right after one another in the load order.

Actually, if the FormIDs do all match up you could probably just use the Legendary + Wyrmstooth and Falskaar version and then run Wrye Bash, right click the STEP patch and create the dummy master for ELE Legendary.

Disclaimer - I've never had to do this myself. But I think either would work (again, if the FormIDs match up).

Thanks Nebulous122!

I think I know how to check the FormIDs as you suggest, but my only experience of Wrye Bash is building a bashed patch.  Could you direct me to anything advising how to create a dummy master in WB?

Thanks!