Confused on install versions - [SOLVED]

Neurogenesis

Question

So, from the best I can tell, There are currently two versions of STEP out there right now, 2.2.0a (located here ;) and 2.2.1(located here ) 

When you look at the differences 2.2.1 appears to be lacking alot of what 2.2.0a has (i.e. Sound, graphics section seems to be lighter). Now there is a bright big banner at the top of 2.2.1 that shows that it is still being developed and to click a link for the most current version, which brings you to a dead post:

Posted Image

That post, when you click 2.2.0b brings you to another dead post, which in turn brings you full circle back to 2.2.1. 

My question is, do I move forward installing 2.2.0a if I want the sound mods, etc. Or am I missing something and I should onlyu be installing 2.2.1?

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the forums.

2.2.1 is not out yet, think of it as a beta version ;)

(2.2.0b became 2.2.1)

It says so right there in the wiki page

Warning: This guide is in development phase and is not ready for public use! Do not follow it unless you know what you're doing!

Click here for the latest release.

2.2.0a is the latest official release.

So' date=' from the best I can tell, There are currently two versions of STEP out there right now, 2.2.0a (located here ;) and 2.2.1(located here ) 

When you look at the differences 2.2.1 appears to be lacking alot of what 2.2.0a has (i.e. Sound, graphics section seems to be lighter). Now there is a bright big banner at the top of 2.2.1 that shows that it is still being developed and to click a link for the most current version, which brings you to a dead post:

Posted Image

That post, when you click 2.2.0b brings you to another dead post, which in turn brings you full circle back to 2.2.1. 

My question is, do I move forward installing 2.2.0a if I want the sound mods, etc. Or am I missing something and I should onlyu be installing 2.2.1?

If you want a full and complete STEP install, you should only use 2.2.0a. 2.2.1 isn't even ready for beta testing yet has mods are still being ironed out for the beta. You can follow the working change log for the next version here: https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=1280 Keep in mind that this is a "working" change log as it's not complete.

As you said, the warning implies the page is unfinished (especially the mod tables) and as such should not be followed unless you know what you're doing and want to help test and confirm mods. The reason there's a dead link to the v2.2.0a page (which I hope was your primary question) is because that banner is automatically generated based off of variables we set for CurrentRelease and DevelopmentRelease within the Wiki. v2.2.1 is the first guide to be released on the Wiki, so no other versions exist. Sorry for the confusion, from here on out it should work as intended.

If you haven't installed STEP yet and are willing to wait another week or so, I highly recommend it.  v2.2.0a is a little outdated and v2.2.1 will be adding a lot of new stuff in.