Bethesda Hi-Res DLC Optimized (by Vano89)

Farlo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**While this still works fine, it is no longer necessary. Bethesda changed how the game reads textures by giving loose files priority over .bsa archives. Also any .esp/.bsa files you have loaded after the HRTP in your load order will "overwrite" files from the HRTP where relevant. (8-21-12)**

https://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1344060-guide-using-custom-textures-with-the-new-highres-pack/

**While this still works fine, it is no longer necessary. Bethesda changed how the game reads textures by giving loose files priority over .bsa archives. Also any .esp/.bsa files you have loaded after the HRTP in your load order will "overwrite" files from the HRTP where relevant. (8-21-12)**

https://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1344060-guide-using-custom-textures-with-the-new-highres-pack/

So they correctly situate themselves at the bottom of your load order?  Sweet, I love when a note can say "Additional instructions not necessary."

So they correctly situate themselves at the bottom of your load order?  Sweet, I love when a note can say "Additional instructions not necessary."
Basically, all one needs to do is install Vano's texture pack just as they would any other texture pack. They will overwrite without doing anything at all.

Also, Eiwyn's fix is insufficient. We should introduce this procedure in the guide and host those files on the Nexus. I will set that up.

Basically, all one needs to do is install Vano's texture pack just as they would any other texture pack. They will overwrite without doing anything at all.

Also, Eiwyn's fix is insufficient. We should introduce this procedure in the guide and host those files on the Nexus. I will set that up.

Bummer, I really didn't want to need to introduce BSAopt into the guide.  You were also quite strongly against using batch files, what happened there?  Can the same effect really not be achieved with loose files, don't they overwrite the HDDLC anyways?

Bummer, I really didn't want to need to introduce BSAopt into the guide.  You were also quite strongly against using batch files, what happened there?  Can the same effect really not be achieved with loose files, don't they overwrite the HDDLC anyways?
Yep, you are correct. However, this is a fix for vanilla textures. Although, I am not sure that it matters with all of the replacers overwriting.

We can point to the fix then as an option but not include in the guide. Although this is still a candidate for the Nexus, as eiwyn has never finished his product

• 3 weeks later...

If you use the procedure that Z referenced that includes a batch file to fix problems with the HR DLC, and you load the loose files version that this produces, then you don't need the BSAs themself since all the useful texture data they had is in the loose files you created. If you do this, make sure you don't activate the two esp files that come with the HR DLC.

00:42, January 14, 2013‎ Farlo (Talk | contribs)‎ . . (1,476 bytes) (+1)‎ . . (Hybrid without Vanilla normals is higher quality.) (undo)

There is no option for "hybird only" in the install?

EDIT: Actually, let me redownload to verify... Holy cow that's a big download! It'll be a min...

EDIT: Verified. There is no option for a "hybrid without vanilla normals" in the install?

Only folder options are:

• 00 Core files
  • 01 Hi-Res Secondary stuff --SELECT ONE--
  • 01 Vanilla Secondary stuff --SELECT ONE--
  • 02 Hybrid + Vanilla NM files
  • 03 'character' Vanilla
  • 04 'dragon' Vanilla
  • 05 'effects' Vanilla
  • 06 'trees' Vanilla
STEP instructs to install: 00, 01 Hi-Res Secondary stuff --SELECT ONE--, and 02. That is the highest available quality install. The only thing left to install after that is vanilla stuff so I go back to my edit:

00:04, January 14, 2013‎ Techangel85 (Talk | contribs)‎ . . (1,475 bytes) (+157)‎ . . (Removed Quality as the recommendation installs the highest available texture resoluions: https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=1280&pid=20034#pid20034) (undo)

It's a lot less confusing to just post a link to the diff view of the edit you're talking about.

Anyways, according to the description page (which isn't exactly clear on the issue) you install "00 Core files" and "01 Hi-Res Secondary stuff" for the best looking version ("Hybrid (1024+2048)") and then install "02 Hybrid + Vanilla NM files" for the next step down ("Hybrid (1024+2048) + Vanilla NormalMaps"). So the addition of the Vanilla normals is what makes the recommended instructions not the "best", and I quote that because the difference is negligible in most places.