POKEMON GO is the best game in a decade

...said no one ever.

Honestly though, I need to hear what this scene thinks about it as I'm sure you haven't been able to escape from it (especially in media) like myself. I tried it and the only things that appear are Pidgeys and Spearows, which is probably very fitting for me. I kind of feel like it makes you look SUPER sad in public, so I tried to avoid doing anything in it while people were around. I walked 3 miles at 10pm and only caught some crappy bird Pokemon, which was very disappointing. I did find a lone gym near me and it was really boring because you literally do not need any skill to battle and beat the other players that have Pokemon there.

So I always say don't knock it until you try it, but I tried it and it was just an empty experience. If you have yet to try it, please do and tell us what you think. If you live in a large city you will have a better time than me I'm sure; if I was in a city it would PROBABLY make walks slightly less boring, but at the same time, I might get hit by a bus while looking at my phone.

I think Jim Sterling summed my experience up:

I'm sure this game will be very popular here!

Anyone who can't leave thier video games at home and live real life are losers. No one has a true work ethic anymore because they are to busy texting and what not on thier iphones or what ever the newest mobile device is. Just my two cents.

I think most people sit on Facebook all day at work in an office environment, I don't think that is a new problem. There are good sides to this as it is possible it could help people with weight problems/depression get out and about. The only problem though is that they won't keep it up as the experience is disappointing. Another problem is that the audience for this game probably won't stick around very long because that is the mobile market in a nutshell. In the end though it's free and people can't resist free.

Edited by Guest

Anyone who can't leave thier video games at home and live real life are losers. No one has a true work ethic anymore because they are to busy texting and what not on thier iphones or what ever the newest mobile device is. Just my two cents.

Whoa, that's some strong words there mate! Luckily it's only your opinion, nothing more, nothing less. And why MUST you play video games at home? What is SO bad about playing them outside? 

There are chess boards in parks all over the world. Hell, there is a massive chess board in the city centre in Leeds where I live, in front of the library. And chess is a game usually played indoors. Does it mean all these people enjoying fresh air and playing chess are losers too? I think your view is very narrow minded, sorry.

I used to play some Ingress back in a day, very casually. It was lots of fun and it WAS an exploration mobile video game that required me to go around the city, scan certain landmarks as checkpoints, hack the checkpoints that others claimed etc.

Does it mean I'm a loser? I honestly don't think so. I consider myself moderately successful young (haha) man, thankyouverymuch. 

Disclaimer: I couldn't care less about Pokemon GO. 

Honestly, I've tried Pokémon GO for some time now (am currently lvl 15) and today's update was the final nail in the coffin for the game as far as I'm concerned. It's just a pointless game that serves no purpose whatsoever. You walk around aimlessly with a feature that was supposed to tell you how far you were from the Pokémons that are in the area, but that's been deliberately broken by Niantic because their servers couldn't handle the stress a while ago and has now completely been hidden.

You just keep doing the same thing over and over again : walk randomly in hopes to find a Pokémon, throw balls at them, and hope that the game/server won't crash when you finally manage to hit em leading you to losing the pokémon.

I thought this was going to make my running sessions more fun, or make me go out more, but to be honest all this served to was to annoy me because I always had rare Pokémons around but no way to know where they were (the tracker just tells you they're in a radius of a few kilometers, so good luck figuring out the exact position)

Not to mention that if you don't live in a city's center, you're basically out of luck since there are no Pokéstops to replenish your potions/balls and there are far less spawns, with all of them being Rattatas, Pidgeys and other useless ones.

Honestly, I've tried Pokémon GO for some time now (am currently lvl 15) and today's update was the final nail in the coffin for the game as far as I'm concerned. It's just a pointless game that serves no purpose whatsoever. You walk around aimlessly with a feature that was supposed to tell you how far you were from the Pokémons that are in the area, but that's been deliberately broken by Niantic because their servers couldn't handle the stress a while ago and has now completely been hidden.

You just keep doing the same thing over and over again : walk randomly in hopes to find a Pokémon, throw balls at them, and hope that the game/server won't crash when you finally manage to hit em leading you to losing the pokémon.

I thought this was going to make my running sessions more fun, or make me go out more, but to be honest all this served to was to annoy me because I always had rare Pokémons around but no way to know where they were (the tracker just tells you they're in a radius of a few kilometers, so good luck figuring out the exact position)

Not to mention that if you don't live in a city's center, you're basically out of luck since there are no Pokéstops to replenish your potions/balls and there are far less spawns, with all of them being Rattatas, Pidgeys and other useless ones.

Pretty much sums up my experience with it as well and is why I said it's a fad that will go away in a few months. If they had actually made you battle the pokemon in order to weaken it for it to be captured and allowed you to battle random people on the street, then they they might have had something real that would last. That's not the case though and it's about exactly as described above. Find pokemon, toss a ball, move on. There's no real point to the game besides having some bragging rights that you're holding down a gym for a while.

I'm level 22 and so is my wife, we're using it as time together out and about getting our walk on. If there is one thing this whole experience has taught me its that people who play video games are definitely not the minority anymore, damn what any surveys say. At least in my area (Los Angeles / Inland Empire) there are hundreds of people out at all hours of the day hunting Pokemon in various areas.... there are Facebook groups, events, tournaments, etc. I've caught about 101 different types of Pokemon.

I don't think the game is overly great, its very shallow... the most fun is catching the new Pokemon but the gym battles are boring/repetitive. I've met some very interesting people I would have never done otherwise though, which has been good fun. I don't plan to spend any money on the game at all, but I know people who have and my 4 year old son is obsessed with showing Grandma all his new Pokemon friends. :)

P.S. The Hillary Clinton part of the video almost killed the game for me... lol. She needs to Pokemon Go to jail.

P.P.S. I did find this awesome Pokemon video series (warning: graphic violence and humor): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYVXcniud_HQ1KmYoc1v5O65Lb5-6bE7p

@Neo

You live in frickin' LA, I'd expect you to have a better experience with it! ::D: I read Santa Monica Pier was one of the best places you can go, so if you do enjoy this I'd get there. My thoughts still stand though because my local town is still a ghost town for this game. I actually think it's great that it is getting people meeting up and such, but those videos where you see hundreds of people hanging around and walking in unison gets a laugh out of me.

@CJ and Tech

This is the length people are going to because they most likely live in a terrible area for this game:

https://www.ownedcore.com/forums/pokemon-go/pokemon-go-hacks-cheats/

I know people always cheat, but the amount of stuff there in such a short time is astonishing. I think the biggest lure is that it's just like collecting the cards or playing the portable Nintendo entries. It shows how broken the gameplay is though obviously. They need to do A LOT more.

@DoubleYou

Thought you said you play 'Nazi's' there for a moment. ::P:

Edited by Guest

Well, in my country, this game is 60% banned on some local institution (government, school, university, etc) (I'm Indonesian btw).

I used to be a avid fan of PoKeMon series... But, imho this game is just.... too linear? Is that how you said it? 

But, I have to admit that PoKeMon has evolved from boring turn-based game to a fantastic MMO like game. Great job, Nintendo.

@CJ and Tech

This is the length people are going to because they most likely live in a terrible area for this game:

https://www.ownedcore.com/forums/pokemon-go/pokemon-go-hacks-cheats/

I know people always cheat, but the amount of stuff there in such a short time is astonishing. I think the biggest lure is that it's just like collecting the cards or playing the portable Nintendo entries. It shows how broken the gameplay is though obviously. They need to do A LOT more.

Not gonna lie, while I'd never use a bot because that just ruins what little purpose there is to this game, I have resorted to some live map apps (Such as Pokévision) with the GF to get the rarer pokémons in the area where I live, cause otherwise it's just a collection of pidgeys and rattatas where I live (caught 100s of each and evolved a lot of them to get stardust/xp), with a total of 2 Pokéstops and 3 gyms for the whole town.

I wouldn't actually have done it if the tracker worked though, but the fact that you don't know where that draconite on your tracker is was plain annoying, so instead we'd just load a map of the area, see if there were any interesting Pokémons, and run like crazy to catch them before they despawn (most rare ones despawn in 5 minutes so that makes for one hell of a run ::P: ), but even that got boring pretty fast.

We tried to catch them on our usual jogging route, but that resulted in encountering no more than 5 pokémons in an hour.