Missing Distant Textures? - [SOLVED]

Nirodha

Question

9 answers to this question

Yes they are only like this at LOD distance. TFC to fly over to them and they appear to be normal maps only. TCL to walk toward them and they disappear completely. Mipmaps maybe?

I don't have this issue with a complete STEP, but purple is a missing texture issue. You may have to go back and reinstall your texture mods. If you used TPC, be sure you included all the required mods and check out your log file to see if you're missing any textures from there. (SRO is no longer available and the majority of textures from TPC were SRO so you'll have to skip it but it won't cause those issues) Start by reinstalling your LODs though.

Also, if you're using WB you can check for any conflicts or missing textures there.

Yes they are only like this at LOD distance. TFC to fly over to them and they appear to be normal maps only. TCL to walk toward them and they disappear completely. Mipmaps maybe?

I don't have this issue with a complete STEP, but purple is a missing texture issue. You may have to go back and reinstall your texture mods. If you used TPC, be sure you included all the required mods and check out your log file to see if you're missing any textures from there. (SRO is no longer available and the majority of textures from TPC were SRO so you'll have to skip it but it won't cause those issues) Start by reinstalling your LODs though.

Also, if you're using WB you can check for any conflicts or missing textures there.

Do you happen to know which texture these would be?

these could be terrain LODs. Looks like vanilla is missing, as even if one of the installs was incomplete, vanilla would still show through. Are you missing any of the vanilla BSAs? or do you not have all plugins activated? Are youusing an enhanced LOD mod? Check HQ LODs mod by Ethatron?

Do you happen to know which texture these would be?

Not exactly, no. Unfortunately, troubleshoot is a process. Most of these are going to be located in "Data\Textures\architecture". Possibly Whiterun textures. Obviously stone/mountain textures. "Data\Textures\landscape\mountains".

This could be a mod conflict too. Distant Detail could be one culprit. First run BOSS to make sure your load order is correct and recheck the issue. If it's still there... disable all your esp files except those that are STEP specific and see if the issue remains. If you don't have extra mods installed disable all your esp files. Check if the issue is there. If it's fixed, re-enable your esp files one by one and check the issue each time. When it reappears, you'll know which mods is the culprit.

I found it! It took a complete reinstall. I tried reinstalling the texture mods only but nothing cure it. Then I uninstalled everything one STEP at a time. HA! It was a UI mod: A Quality World Map. Apparently, using the classic map option causes the issue. I switched to the Standard-HiRes map option and everything is fine now.

It's amazing how proficient you get at installing over 200 mods when you do it a few times.

TA and Z thanks for the assist. Strangely enough I was working on Zs ENB presets to compare RCRN and COT for TA's poll when I noticed this issue. Fitting you two would be the one's to help out.

I found it! It took a complete reinstall. I tried reinstalling the texture mods only but nothing cure it. Then I uninstalled everything one STEP at a time. HA! It was a UI mod: A Quality World Map. Apparently, using the classic map option causes the issue. I switched to the Standard-HiRes map option and everything is fine now.

It's amazing how proficient you get at installing over 200 mods when you do it a few times.

TA and Z thanks for the assist. Strangely enough I was working on Zs ENB presets to compare RCRN and COT for TA's poll when I noticed this issue. Fitting you two would be the one's to help out.

:D You're welcome and glad you got it worked out. When something like this happens it's usually because of a deviation from the tested STEP process, like in your case a different version of the map from the STEP recommendations, or it's a conflict with a personal non-STEP mod. Though, in this case it's understandable. Quality World Map has 7 optional files 3 of which have "All Roads" tacked onto the name. The STEP instructions weren't that clear. :teehee: For future reference, any mod that says it's a "work in progress" (WIP) use with caution because as you found out...could have bugs.

I'm going to contact the mod author and point him to this forum to help him out on his bug testing.

So I've narrowed it down even further. It was a file in the classic map package, which is one of the main bash installer packages. Inside that package is a file "A Quality World Map Installer-4929\Map Classic All Roads\textures\terrain\Tamriel\objects\tamriel.objects.dds". This file is not included in the standard and HiRes packages. It is supposed to apply the color texture to distant objects. This file however is just a colored square. Apparently the game use the same textures for LOD objects as it does for objects on the map. I was surprised to see a WIP package included in the main file and not labelled as WIP.