Oblivion CTD when opening through Mod Organizer (Solved)

UnknownK

Question

Hey, long time modder, first time poster here.

I was having issues running Oblivion and Mod Organizer for a while and while testing was able to solve my issue. I own a retail copy of Oblivion and I've been trying to figure out how to run the two together after a clean install. I had a previous installation of oblivion I was trying to run through Mod Organizer, but because of problems with that I just decided to try and install everything fresh and see if I could get Mod Organizer to work. I saw some people report similar issues that didn't sound completely resolved on the OBSE thread so thought it might be useful sharing my experience. This report might be useful to someone suffering from similar issues so I figured I'd post it, just in-case someone sees it and it saves them the headache that I've been going through.

Clean install of Oblivion with patch 1.2.416 and OBSE v0021 installed. Mod Organizer 1.3.11 is installed. Hook.dll is not installed.

• Standalone Oblivion.exe functions fine and game runs fine
  • Standalone obse_loader.exe functions fine and game runs fine (Proves that basic setup of Oblivion and OBSE is correct, OBSE status tested by checking for both .ess and .obse save file)

After previous tests, executables for Oblivion.exe and obse_loader.exe have been setup in Mod Organizer. Steam App ID left blank (Retail version). Load Mechanism is set to Mod Organizer.

• Mod Organizer Oblivion.exe crashes to desktop within 2 seconds of startup (Reaches Bethesda splash screen then crashes)
  • Mod Organizer obse_loader.exe crashes to desktop within 2 seconds of startup
  • Standalone obse_loader.exe functions fine and game runs fine

After previous tests, Load Mechanism is set to Script Extender. Hook.dll generated in OBSE Plugins folder.

• Mod Organizer Oblivion.exe crashes to desktop within 2 seconds of startup
  • Mod Organizer obse_loader.exe crashes to desktop within 2 seconds of startup
  • Standalone obse_loader.exe crashes to desktop within 2 seconds of startup

Deleting Hook.dll allows the standalone OBSE launcher to function properly again. The last thing I did was copy over my oblivion.ini file from the Documents\My Games\Oblivion folder and paste it in in the Mod Organizer profile. This seemed to solve the issue.

• Mod Organizer Oblivion.exe functions fine and a test mod  installed in Mod Organizer worked fine
  • Mod Organizer obse_loader.exe functions fine and a test mod  installed in Mod Organizer worked fine
  • Standalone obse_loader.exe functions fine and a test mod  installed in Mod Organizer worked fine

So if anyone is having issues similar to those described in this post, try generating a fresh oblivion.ini and copying that into the Mod Organizer profile.

1 answer to this question

If you have the retail version, ie. non-Steam version, you should not set the Load Mechanism to 'Script Extender', that is a workaround to get the OBSE to function with the Steam code.

ALL games need to be run at least once to generate a default set of INIs and upon running MO these are used for each new profile, there should be no need to manually move these to the current profile.

Deleting "hook.dll" is effectively removing the functionality of MO from that installation. That file is an integral part of the mechanism MO uses to manage each game it is used on.