Update.esm missing from data folder

Bandus

Question

I am following the STEP steps and recently finished with the 2.D section. Upon reviewing, I note that in MO I have "Update - Clean" on the left side that shows my mods. If I right-click on it and select "Open in Explorer" I see the update.esm file and the meta.ini. On the right side I also see Update.esm in the list just under Skyrim.esm.

However, if I navigate to steamapps\common\Skyrim\data, I see Update.bsa but not Update.esm.

I am confident I followed the steps properly, however I am concerned that the Update.esm file doesn't seem to be in \Data. Is it supposed to be there at this point or have I made an error?

Thanks!

Edited by Bandus

4 answers to this question

There is an oddity with how xEdit saves files when run from inside MO. Some users never see this issue and some do, we haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what are the parameters on each system to trigger this behaviour.

Having said that, you have done nothing wrong, everything will work exactly as expected. If you wish to have the original Update.ESM restored to 'Data' there are two methods at your disposal.

1. Simply do a cache verification using Steam and ALL original files will be restored
  2. Search your MO 'Mods' folder for a backup of Update.ESM, it will have a timestamp added to it like this: Update.esm.backup.2016_06_24_14_08_29

All of this is also explained in the STEP guide just 2 sections before the step you are currently on. (2.B Clean the Update.esm)

There is an oddity with how xEdit saves files when run from inside MO. Some users never see this issue and some do, we haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what are the parameters on each system to trigger this behaviour.

Having said that, you have done nothing wrong, everything will work exactly as expected. If you wish to have the original Update.ESM restored to 'Data' there are two methods at your disposal.

1. Simply do a cache verification using Steam and ALL original files will be restored
  2. Search your MO 'Mods' folder for a backup of Update.ESM, it will have a timestamp added to it like this: Update.esm.backup.2016_06_24_14_08_29

All of this is also explained in the STEP guide just 2 sections before the step you are currently on. (2.B Clean the Update.esm)

You are absolutely correct, of course! I read that section yesterday but for some reason it didn't "click" in my brain that it was my solution.

Follow up question though: You said "if you wish to have the original Update.ESM restored." Does this mean that there isn't a need to have the Update.ESM in the data directory as long as I have the Update - Clean activated in MO? Thank you for your time, it is appreciated! 

Edit: To be clear, the guide says specifically to do it (I did go back and read it), however based on what you stated I just want to make sure I don't mess things up. :)

Edited by Bandus

For the actual running and playing of the game: no need to have it in 'Data'. MO is already providing that file in your "Cleaned" mod.

The instruction to restore a copy is to prevent Steam from constantly telling you there is a missing file whenever you perform a verification.