Huge FPS drop when exiting interior cell

DangerousB

Question

Hi,

So I'm really new to STEP and I'm having some trouble getting it working. So whenever I exit an interior cell (I've been testing in Riverwood by entering and exiting various buildings) my FPS drops to 1-2 and stays there. I normally play with 25-30 fps in villages and 50 when inside a building. I have task manager open on a different monitor and I never went above 20% CPU and I was below 4GB RAM the entire time as well.

My PC:

Windows 7 64 bit

Intel i7

Nvidia EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti with 310.70

12GB RAM

Skyrim Version 1.8.151.0.7

Could this be a problem with using STEP 2.2.0a with that version of skyrim? Should I just wait until the next version of STEP comes out?

7 answers to this question

Hey DangerousB!

You said you normally play with 25-30 fps. Was this without STEP and if so have you installed any mods before installing the STEP mods? This doesn't sound like a STEP problem. and unless you have the fps capped at 30, with that PC you should be able to play at 40 to 60 with no problem. Can you be more specific about any utilities your using and did you follow the STEP instuction carefully? Load order is critical.

Right sorry. Thats the FPS I get just wandering around the Riverwood area. Before I installed STEP I was getting 50fps constantly. As for utilities I use Mod Organizer, BOSS, Fraps, and the Nvidia Inspector. I am running Boss as an executable through MO. I installed the mods in the order that STEP called for though I fear I may have went a bit overboard and might be using too many. =( I wasn't getting this problem until the end of STEP (I tested every so often).

As for non-STEP mods I have:

Sexy Whiterun (and all the other sexy cities by the same author)

Alternate Start: Live another Life

Claralux to replace Lanterns of Skyrim

Realistic Lighting with Customization to replace Climates of Tamriel

I'm not familiar with Nvidia inspector so I don't know if your settings can be a problem or not. the sexy cities might be causing some problems. It seems like the problem your having may be texture conflict related. Do you have anyother lighting mods installed?

I'm not familiar with Nvidia inspector so I don't know if your settings can be a problem or not. the sexy cities might be causing some problems. It seems like the problem your having may be texture conflict related. Do you have anyother lighting mods installed?

You were right about Sexy Cities causing the problems which is sad because they were pretty nice looking...oh well. Thanks!

On another note, some of your lower FPS averages could be caused by your settings. High screen resolutions combined with high games settings will most defiantly cause lower FPS averages. Considering you were running 50FPS in vanilla Skyrim I would say this is one issue. With your hardware you should be running 60FPS or higher if you uncap the default. I max my game out in vanilla settings on my laptop with lower hardware specs than you have. You have to find a balance between "quality" and "performance".

Based on the OP, this sounds like a VRAM-cap issue. Are you limited to 1 GB GPU memory? Are you installing the quality versions of the texture mods?

If not, then it could be INI related, and I would move your current INIs and boot with the Launcher to reestablish and see if the problem persists.