Web Series

phazer11

Doom was the first large modding community I can think of. There were probably more mods for Doom than any game in history. id kept an FTP server for custom WADs with like 20K files available and it wasn't even the biggest site. You could do a whole webseries just on the history of Doom modding. It's actually kind of hard to even explain how big it was at the time since I was so young, but it was really amazing to be a part of. I could go on about Doom for days.

Quake had better total conversion mods though. Ones that were way better for before and after comparisons. Doom didn't have the tech behind it that Quake did.

Doom and doom engine games still have a huge community right now. The engine was open sourced and a huge revival of doom engine games started. Games that were abandonware could be played again because you could track down the source code and update the engine to play on modern hardware. 

Check out Brutal Doom for an overhaul. It's probably a bit too bloody for a class. Still really fun though.

Super NSFW:

Tons of stuff from id games is out there. Shouldn't be to hard to find something that is free to use.

• 2 weeks later...

I just need to get some footage, some of the aforementioned games will be easier to get footage from. I have until December 5 to turn these videos in, been super busy with other classes trying to get them out of the way so I can focus on this, kinda hard since I have 3 group projects none of which are conducive to working ahead :>:(: plus I'm doing the footage (modded and un-modded) on my own unless I get volunteers, added the doom video to a playlist with some others to watch in the morning though thanks Ess.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure how I could help, but I remember messing around with a hex editor with THPS3 .cas files when I was like 11 (which was my first foray into modding).  I can help with getting footage or whatever.  :)

Edited by Mator

Sure if you'd like. I'll probably put something together at some point, especially as my class work load will be lesser from here on out, though as I said to Kelmych in a message I've turned the project in for the grade. It's given me a preliminary feel for where I would need to go if I did the whole kit and caboodle but something like this really needed more time than what I had to do to my satisfaction.