No rush on my account :9, I'll sit on what I have for a little bit in case the guide gets some more updates :) It's still fresh like a hot muffin. I'll likely return to modding this next week or so once the dust settles :)
Anyhow, I composed that list of questions and stuff, maybe aside of my whining there will be something useful for you guys there too, dunno. Anyway, here goes.
1. Just to make sure that I didn't miss it somewhere - this guide does not utilize the basic STEP patches? The ones that include some visual-enhancements and have a bunch of requirements? STEP Core/Extended.
2. The mod "Bring out your dead" seems to be endorsed by STEP and given a lot of props for being immersive. Is there a reason it is not in the pack?
3. What is the reason behind cutting all generic population mods (non-fighting NPCs)? I mean things like "Immersive Wenches", "Populated Prisons", and the widely-used "Inconsequential NPCs"
4. I've chosen to add just two of the quest mods I've mentioned before and I researched them a little. In case someone was curious:
"Helgen Reborn" works mostly fine with Requiem, as most of its enemies are Vanilla entities - they actually make the quest challenging given that a vampire makes an appearance. On the other hand some arena sequence is too easy, but it's nothing *too* bad.
"Wheels of Lull" is not so much about fighting as puzzles/Zelda style jumping/trap dodging etc. dungeon. Many of the fights require custom items and wits moreso than perks and stats, so it's probably worth a try. Once I get there, I will let you know how much of that is true. I've seen some reports of it not starting with Requiem, but also some ways to fix it (not to mention it could be a conflict from any other mods those people had).
5. "Flora Overhaul" is quite an FPS-eater from what I remember, no? Even on low settings the author says that it will eat away some FPS, the only difference is whether it will be a lot or little. Perhaps it should get a warning like the city-expanding mods?
6. "Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul" could be a good candidate for an optional mod :) I've heard it's pretty damn awesome.
7. What should I do with "ECTV Patches Merged" for Legacy if I only got the modular file for that? Should I skip all of it, ignore the patch, install it anyway?
8. Is it okay to install/uninstall "Dawn of Skyrim" and "Expanded Towns and Cities" at will if they prove to be too hard? Is it okay to only have the modular part of ETAC but none of the other listed files?
9. FNIC Player only animations - I do not truly understand the purpose of this mod. And then I also don't understand the way it's supposed to be installed by this guide's directions. Why is everything deleted? What if there are some other animations used aside/instead of Immersive Animations? (the files seem to point to that mod alone?). I'm confused here.
10. I've noticed there's no mod to allow the player to see their body in first person. Is there some reason? Incompatibility, glitches, whatever else? I can do without, but I'm a bit curious.
11. Speaking of curious - is there a reason all the readmes and .bsl files ought to be removed? If so I'll have to check if I didn't let some live.
12. No SMIM patch for Wearable Lanterns? Any reason?
13. I tried to run the DDsopt on the Immersive Weapons according to the guide, but both sections (textures and normals) seem to be doing the exact same thing to the exact same files :o I did it once, but then I got confused. Could someone tell me what's up, please? :p
14. I want to install two bigger item visual mods that I find are hugely important visuals wise - "Books Covers of Skyrim" and "Radiant Potions and Booze Bottles". It's okay, right? Or will "Requiem" overwrite their looks? There used to be a patch for the latter, but many other texture mods exist. I don't know. Makes me wonder.
15. "Skyrim Unlocked" sounds like a fun little immersion change that could work pretty well with Requiem, but I don't know if it would behave 100% well. Just throwing it out there.
16. "Smart Souls" and "Fuz Ro D'oh" put their inis in MO's overwrite folder. MO then complains. Maybe add a note to move them to their respective mod folders to avoid some overwrite-mod mess later if someone gets mods that add stuff there?
17. "Audio Overhaul for Skyrim" has various weather patches. Are they necessary for weather mods? If so, perhaps let people know to install the one they will be using since the pack doesn't have a must-install one?
18. "Unique Town & Locations Music" says in the description in will conflict with weather mods. If the pack's patch doesn't fix it, perhaps it would be better to make it optional to be safe or something? Or is that irrelevant?
19. How's "Requiem Realistic Darkness" gonna do with "Climates of Tamriel" darker nights? All okay?
20. Can't find the listed "Frostfall" patch in the guide's patch pack :<
21. "Dual Wield Parrying" is marked as the author as experimental. Is it risky to use it?
22. Should I merge HDT-Enabled KS Hairdos the same way the guide says to merge the regular kind?
23. Should I be adding my additional mods to the merge packs if they fit the category or is it okay to leave them be/I should make them separate packs?
24. Is the "Categorized Favorites" mod out of favor for some reason? I recall it being a more vital UI addition that many.
25. "WLSO - Weather Lighting and Sound Overhaul - Patches" archive is empty :o Should something be there? It's listed in the guide as a step in installation, I just installed an empty dummy folder, but MO isn't happy about it.
26. What is the Beautification project here? I thought it would be a list of more visual mods, but it's something entirely different. A software to connect the mods already present? Is it necessary? Does it mean to beautify the MO folders not Skyrim?
27. If the installation is finished and new versions of mods appear, is it viable to replace them with new ones or will it require a complete 'raze to the ground and rebuild' as far as all the merges and whatnot are concerned?
I have installed the quests and followers and even the notice board (and a bunch of other mods I didn't quite care for) for the sake of simplicity. It left me with a shorter list of unused ones. Green is all the nature stuff. Will the absence of any of these mods cause problems? And could I get a hint or two about how to remove others as dependencies from the patch?
After further limiting the mods I want to install on top of the install I've arrived at this list and will likely report how it goes later. There are also some visual enhancements and a few patches/updates for the listed mods but I hid them away for the sake of clarity here.
Maybe something will look interesting for an optional mod/look idiotic to install. (Population mod remnants might go, depending on the answer to some above question, idk if previous 'no' applied only to fighterly NPCs or all of them).
Speaking of, there is a mod in the guide that improves Thieves guild requirements and one for Companions, but I think Immersive College doesn't do that - is there a reason "College Days" and "Entry Requirements" are not listed? Some incompatibility/instability found?
Edited by Ellilea, 19 March 2017 - 05:40 PM.