ENB Boost .ini settings for Win10 and Titan X

Snowelf12

Question

Hey Guys,

just been reading on the NEXUS about win 10 4GB vram limit. I have 12gb Vram and 16GB system ram.

I am unsure what to set my VideoMemorySizeMb to i do have it at 10240. But can this be use in WIN 10? 

I have been hitting 3.5- 3.9 in game vram with Steps Extended installed. 

I was going to add a ENB to the game but unsure as i don't want to go over the 4GB if it will be unstable.

also I am in 4K so could i use a EBN but turn off AA as i would not need it.

Is that taken with an ENB active in your game, if that is the case then that would probably explain the overshoot on the VRam limit.

That's my only explanation at this point, have you tried that test without the ENB patch or the SKSE patch included ?

I can't test without ENBoost in exteriors, tried a hundred times. Most probably because while loading an exterior TESV.exe reaches immediately its RAM-limit of about 3 GB and crashes. Then you realize how needed and inventive ENBoost is by expanding the memory the game can use through a seperate process, enbhost.exe.

What does Skyrim Performance Monitor report?

I just increased the resolution to 3840X2160 and went for a round of horse riding. The resolution tanked FPS but did not increase Vram usage as much as I had expected.

I had three programs monitoring. MSI Afterburner, Skyrim Performance Monitor and HWiNFO64. The results are consistent. Max was 4,609 MB according to SPM and HWiFO64, Afterburner noted 4,596 MB max. See my upload for the results: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AicwYw0PXQYwiHSJ5i1v-w107KbN

Edited by Ilkob

This is promising. I have the same GPU as you so I might try another go of "high" level for DynDOLOD textures (at 2715 X 1527) and see what happens, but with Skyrim SE released, I may just wait until the next compatible STEP release and stick with my stable modded version.

Edited by TenshoHappyCat

I can't test without ENBoost in exteriors, tried a hundred times. Most probably because while loading an exterior TESV.exe reaches immediately its RAM-limit of about 3 GB and crashes. Then you realize how needed and inventive ENBoost is by expanding the memory the game can use through a seperate process, enbhost.exe.

This is exactly my point, if your testing with the ENBoost then it is altering your results and this is why this discrepancy exists that we are discussing now, ENBoost allows you to get up to an extra 1GB roughly before Skyrim complains (maybe a little more) so to see that without any outside influences the game crashes at 3 - 3.5GB is perfectly normal and fully supports everything I've been saying.

Edited by Rebel47

This is exactly my point, if your testing with the ENBoost then it is altering your results and this is why this discrepancy exists that we are discussing now, ENBoost allows you to get up to an extra 1GB roughly before Skyrim complains (maybe a little more) so to see that without any outside influences the game crashes at 3 - 3.5GB is perfectly normal and fully supports everything I've been saying.

You are talking about system memory, RAM. ENBoost allows Skyrim to use more system memory by adding its own process or processes for memory management. With ENBoost it is even possible to use up to 128 GB - see ReduceSystemMemoryUsage in https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI/Memory

If there would be any discrepancy it would be in numbers concerning system memory usage.

But all this has nothing to do with our videocard's memory, Vram.

Edited by Ilkob